Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow CR-Z owners. About a year ago I bought my 'Z and so far I'm really liking it. The two main problems are the wheels and tires. Even though I've gotten lots of compliments on the wheels, I actually don't like them. I plan on changing them soon (probably late february - mid march) and getting some much needed new tires. If anyone wants the old wheels they're yours for $200. Unfortunately, the guy at the dealer got these crappy used tires installed on some dumpster tire place and they broke one of the TPMS sensors. The dealer took the car to several places but none were able to get the TPMS to work. I got tired of having to contact the guy all the time and wait for my car so I deemed it a lost cause.

Because I live in Florida where I only need one set of tires, and because this is the only car with TPMS that my family has, it makes no sense to spend $100 on a tool I'll use once, so I was wondering if someone would be willing to rent one for me. Obviously I'll pay for shipping and I can send you $20 extra for all your problems. I can also leave you a safety deposit, and when I return your tool you return me the deposit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a ATEQ TPM Quickset back in the day for my first CRZ. I only used it once or twice lol. Should work for for 2011-2015 CRZs and more. Like new in box and accessories still.

Link for reference:

Like new in the box. If you would like to rent it, let me know. And if you would like to buy it, I can let it go for $50 plus shipping, I do not need it for my 2016 :)

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
Most tire shops as part of sensor install can program the sensor as part of the service. I had to replace a sensor and they took care of the cloning and install.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most tire shops as part of sensor install can program the sensor as part of the service. I had to replace a sensor and they took care of the cloning and install.
How much did you pay? As I said, the shops I went to couldn't figure it out, and I know dealers and many nicer shops will still charge a lot of money for the procedure. There's a new tire shop literally next to my house so I can drop in and ask how much it would cost, but I doubt it'll be under $50. For that money I'd rather buy the tool

I bought a ATEQ TPM Quickset back in the day for my first CRZ. I only used it once or twice lol. Should work for for 2011-2015 CRZs and more. Like new in box and accessories still.

Link for reference:

Like new in the box. If you would like to rent it, let me know. And if you would like to buy it, I can let it go for $50 plus shipping, I do not need it for my 2016 :)
Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. At $50 I may just buy it. Sooner or later the tpms sensors I already have will go out, so I can use the tool to install new ones. I'm still saving up money and researching tires, and the civic needs new tires and a timing belt and it is actually being used, so that's my priority right now. I'll let you know what I decide, but for now I'll look around a bit more. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
I had to buy the sensor and that was a few years ago so I really do not remember. I think for the whole install plus the sensor was maybe $100. I was at their mercy. I had to have the car towed. My towing coverage covered that. I think it was a Goodyear on LI. The price to buy this one is very good. Buy it. The shop I went to did it very quickly both the cloning and making sure The Speed Bump recognized it. Maybe the shop you went to is not a good shop?

Is this one of the tools you can rent at a car parts place? Usually they will rent for for a refundable deposit.

Many cars due to law have these damn sensors so any shop should know how to replace, maintain and program them

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had to buy the sensor and that was a few years ago so I really do not remember. I think for the whole install plus the sensor was maybe $100.
That's accurate. I got mine replaced last December. Cost me about $50 bucks for the sensor assembly and about $45 bucks for installation which amounts about little over $100 bucks after tax.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to buy the sensor and that was a few years ago so I really do not remember. I think for the whole install plus the sensor was maybe $100. I was at their mercy. I had to have the car towed. My towing coverage covered that. I think it was a Goodyear on LI. The price to buy this one is very good. Buy it. The shop I went to did it very quickly both the cloning and making sure The Speed Bump recognized it. Maybe the shop you went to is not a good shop?

Is this one of the tools you can rent at a car parts place? Usually they will rent for for a refundable deposit.

Many cars due to law have these damn sensors so any shop should know how to replace, maintain and program them
Probably not a good shop. Still, it's $100, which is the cost of a new tpms tool. I already have the replacement sensor installed, so all I need is the tool. Besides, I feel like $50 just to connect a tool and press a few buttons is a ripoff and I don't want to give any shop the pleasure of taking my hard earned cash that easy.

Reactions: Fediej and Spdbump

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And if you would like to buy it, I can let it go for $50 plus shipping, I do not need it for my 2016
After some thinking, I've decided I'll buy the tool from you. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you rent a similar tool from a parts place for a deposit?
Nope. They told me that they didn't rent any diagnostic tools. I ended up buying the scanner from M33D0 and it should arrive tomorrow. I also bought a TPMS sensor from amazon for $18 which comes pre-programmed for Hondas, so it should work. I'll try programming it tomorrow but I'm not sure if it'll work outside of a tire, guess I'll find out. I also figure that, sooner or later, the other 3 sensors in the car wil die and I'll have to replace them, so I can just buy a 4-pack of sensors from eBay for $50 and have the tire shop install them when I change tires, then I program them myself.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully this link works for you. There's a pretty helpful Youtube video included in the post. ATEQ TPM Quickset
Awesome, thanks! Your review seems pretty in-depth so I'll read it later. I did see another video of the tool being used in a Hyundai, I think, and I imagine the process is very similar with the 'Z.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Awesome, thanks! Your review seems pretty in-depth so I'll read it later. I did see another video of the tool being used in a Hyundai, I think, and I imagine the process is very similar with the 'Z.
I got a little long winded. 😉
Between the Ateq and the Autel scanner/programmer wheel swaps are pretty well covered.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd rather read a long detailed review that covers all the details rather than a "it works well and feels good in the hand" type thing.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
They can be programmed prior to install the shop that installed mine did that.

Nope. They told me that they didn't rent any diagnostic tools. I ended up buying the scanner from M33D0 and it should arrive tomorrow. I also bought a TPMS sensor from amazon for $18 which comes pre-programmed for Hondas, so it should work. I'll try programming it tomorrow but I'm not sure if it'll work outside of a tire, guess I'll find out. I also figure that, sooner or later, the other 3 sensors in the car wil die and I'll have to replace them, so I can just buy a 4-pack of sensors from eBay for $50 and have the tire shop install them when I change tires, then I program them myself.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried twice at a new tire shop next to my workplace. With both a new sensor I bought and the old sensor already in the car (not activated) they couldn't get it to work, they said it had to be a sensor that works with their tool. The techs offered this for free but they were helping me out because there was a poster saying that TPMS diagnostic starts at $40. Thanks for all the suggestions, though

I already have the TPMS tool with me. When I replace my tires (soon, hopefully) I'll ask the shop if they can let me see the sensors beforehand so I can write down all the IDs and program them myself. I highly doubt the techs will charge me extra just to transfer the sensors from the old wheels to the new ones

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
Depending on the tool it can copy the Ids from the installed sensors and "clone" them to the new sensors if the old ones are working can be done with wheels on car. in your driveway.

I tried twice at a new tire shop next to my workplace. With both a new sensor I bought and the old sensor already in the car (not activated) they couldn't get it to work, they said it had to be a sensor that works with their tool. The techs offered this for free but they were helping me out because there was a poster saying that TPMS diagnostic starts at $40. Thanks for all the suggestions, though

I already have the TPMS tool with me. When I replace my tires (soon, hopefully) I'll ask the shop if they can let me see the sensors beforehand so I can write down all the IDs and program them myself. I highly doubt the techs will charge me extra just to transfer the sensors from the old wheels to the new ones

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depending on the tool it can copy the Ids from the installed sensors and "clone" them to the new sensors if the old ones are working can be done with wheels on car. in your driveway.
This one can read the IDs from the cars computer, and can write new IDs to the car's computer as well. It can't read the ID from a sensor, though, I'd either need to physically read it from the sensor (which necessitates dismounting the tire) or use another tool to read the ID. It also can't be used to activate universal sensors, they need to be activated with another tool, or use a vehicle-specific sensor which is what I'm doing.

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
If you have working sensors in the current wheels and you transfer them to your new wheels you do not need that tool at all. The car will already recognize the sensors. Tool is only needed if you are replacing a sensor or you have to clone them so you can use two sets of wheels. The tool you have seems to be more limited than most. I thought that most of those tools could read the sensors for codes and condition ( battery), copy the codes from the sensors, program the sensors ( if the right kind) to the cloned codes and optionally program the vehicle to new sensors via the OBD II port. The one you have does just the last option. Glad you did not pay much for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts