Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just looked at the parts catalog on College Hills Honda. They want $3,655 for just the head unit. That does not include all the other stuff you have to get (e.g. wiring harnesses, steering wheel switches, antennas).

For the cost of that head unit alone, I bet I can do the following to my 2011 EX and someone else's:
1. Change my head unit.
2. Add rear-view camera.
3. Change out speakers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How did you decide that you don't like aftermarket and what did you not like? There are a ton of different units that can be put in. Some look better than others. There are even more ways of executing an installation. Some look like factory installations. Also, some aftermarkets let you gain some functionality in some areas and lose functionality in other areas.

FYI, the factory navi is not considered a high end unit. If you can find an aftermarket unit with the looks and functionality that suits you, and then get a pro install, you'll be happier than settling for whatever features the factory unit has...such as those outrageously expensive updates.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys all make good points. Mainly, i am worried about warranty and dont want the hassle of them blaming the stereo for any electrical failures. Its going to take me three years to get up to 36k. Then i will feel more comfortable going aftermarket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,781 Posts
I just looked at the parts catalog on College Hills Honda. They want $3,655 for just the head unit. That does not include all the other stuff you have to get (e.g. wiring harnesses, steering wheel switches, antennas).

For the cost of that head unit alone, I bet I can do the following to my 2011 EX and someone else's:
1. Change my head unit.
2. Add rear-view camera.
3. Change out speakers.
How about getting these parts from a totalled CRZ from a yard? It will be expensive, but not $3655.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The chance of an aftermarket stereo interfering with driveline electrical systems and voiding your warranty are about as plausible as your car using the IMA like a flux capacitor to travel through time.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ebay last week had a Fac. Nav unit for under a stack ($1G). But you will still need harness, etc.... lotta work and $$$.
I tried going aftermarket but Metra to date don't have a double DIN kit for models with Nav unit. I don't like the stock Nav, and ain't trying to break bank to go aftermarket.

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,781 Posts
Ebay last week had a Fac. Nav unit for under a stack ($1G). But you will still need harness, etc.... lotta work and $$$.
I tried going aftermarket but Metra to date don't have a double DIN kit for models with Nav unit. I don't like the stock Nav, and ain't trying to break bank to go aftermarket.
For some reason I remember someone using OEM double DIN on an aftermarket Nav unit. Hmmmm. I'll look for it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
For some reason I remember someone using OEM double DIN on an aftermarket Nav unit. Hmmmm. I'll look for it.
Old Post <---11/2012 and I followed up with an email about 2 months ago and they still have nothing for 2011 CRZ w/Nav if I wanted to upgrade to an aftermarket double DIN unless I did modifications to their faceplate and my deck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts