Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just thinking... i was kinda going away from wanting the CR-Z for a bit, then i read what Spoon was able to do with just some tuning and an exhaust... now i'm more excited about getting the car than ever b4...

in case you missed it, Spoon retuned the car to output 145hp/150tq... that's an increase of 23hp and 22tq... even if those numbers weren't that much higher... just the fact that i know this engine can rev to 8500 w/o problems is what really has me jacked about these newer numbers... i've said since the CR-Z specs were released that if this car can be revved to about 7500 and have a little more power then it will be well worth buying...

my initial thoughts for the CR-Z was some form of forced-induction and the thing holding that idea back was the tuning... but Spoon seemed to crack that already (or they're using another ECU)... with a few mods to the engine this will be a pretty nice N/A Hybrid car...

anyone else excited about this car more than b4?? if so, just tell us why... or you can just add to what i said above ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
very
exactly as you said
the engine has potential because to me, it seems that it was detuned a lot from factory for good mpg and emissions. a remap and some extra revvs (maybe some timing adjustments too done by spoon) brings out more power. and its not JUST 23peak hp that they brought out. with the 2k extra revvs, the powerband is extended.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whew... i thought for a second, this being a "hybrid forum" that i was gonna be on my own with this one haha...

yeah like i mentioned it's not just the added power it's really the revs for me... another thing i love about Spoon is they don't ever really tune a car for maximum engine performance... they usually tune a car for overall vehicle performance or in other words to have a very well balanced car...

a 200hp+ FI-Hybrid CR-Z doesn't seem so far off now... and that to me is GREAT news!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
All of the new videos and reviews coming out are certainly getting me eager. It'll be neat to see more road tests from Europe and - dare I hope - US sources.

I have no interest in tuning the CR-Z (not that there's anything wrong with doing so). I went through that phase twenty-something years ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, you gotta read the article.
but then it says that spoon will offer the spoon kit for 8kusd which doesn't make sense if they rebuilt the engine. 8kusd is way too low to include suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels, cf hood, mirrors, AND engine rebuild

edit: actually i think the article is wrong. in addition to 8k being too low for engine rebuild + all the other parts, spoon did a transmission rebuild meaning a transmission rebuild + all the other parts leaves absolutely no money left for an engine rebuild

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but then it says that spoon will offer the spoon kit for 8kusd which doesn't make sense if they rebuilt the engine. 8kusd is way too low to include suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels, cf hood, mirrors, AND engine rebuild

edit: actually i think the article is wrong. in addition to 8k being too low for engine rebuild + all the other parts, spoon did a transmission rebuild meaning a transmission rebuild + all the other parts leaves absolutely no money left for an engine rebuild
yeah, and we don't know if that price is just for parts or if labor is included for that...

i honestly can't see how i missed the part of them taking the engine apart haha...

·
Registered
40 Posts
That whole review sounds a bit fishy to me. Like badly translated or even made up. I can't see how they could make the stock engine rev from 6100 to 8500rpm without building a full blueprinted race spec engine. Re maps can obviously raise rev limits but with massive relaibility problems for no significant power increase.

My mate had a dc2 integra type r and thought he was amazing when he bought a chip off ebay that raised the rev limit from 8800 something to over 10,000rpm but there was absoloutly no point as the power tailed off after 8400 and after a few weeks it went BANG! He couldn't understand that unless the engine is still making power there's no reason to let it rev higher.

I've got a CR-Z on order so don't get me wrong I'd love a remap that could raise the rev limit safely and still make more power but knowing Honda's I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. :p

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
raising the limiter is not all they did... they remapped the entire powerband... i do agree that a car stops making power after a certain RPM... but that's only b/c the cams and c/r of the pistons... if Spoon did in fact swap any parts i'm sure they at least swapped in some cams...

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the pistons would be able to handle the higher rpms... the connecting rods on the other hand would more likely need to be replaced... the block, as it's Honda, i'm sure can handle the added power... stock K20 blocks handle well over 500hp and stock S2k blocks handle up to 700hp with ease... so i'm sure the didn't have to sleeve this one to get that added power... just stating that for any future comments about it that might come up...

i wouldn't doubt it if they added a tachometer like this or are going to add it in the very near future...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.