Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in a dispute with my insurance company over the insurance premiums for my new CR-Z. I won't give the name of my insurance provider, but let's just say I'm not feeling that they're on my side.

I have my homeowners insurance and my old car with them (99 Toyota Solara, not ready to let go of it yet). Three months ago I requested a quote from them for adding a 2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK280, which would have cost around $33,000. (Great car, but the low MPGs it got bothered me.) The rate I got quoted wasn't bad. Now I purchased the CR-Z, which costs $10,000 LESS than the MB, and my insurance premium is far HIGHER than what it would have been for the MB.

When I called and asked for an explanation, I got the runaround:
"Oh, well, your car might cost more to repair than a Mercedes." -- Seriously?!? Since when was a Mercedes inexpensive to repair?
"Well, maybe your car is really small." - It is, but both cars are around 13 ft long. (which also irritates me - why are small car drivers penalized? The fat SUV drivers should pay more because they do more damage in a collision.)
"Well, it's new. Parts are going to be more expensive." - Again, compared to a MB?

Finally, when I described the car to her, she jumped when I told her it was a hybrid:
"Oh that's it! Hybrids are more expensive to insure!"

I'm not buying it. Here's what I believe. The CR-Z is too new and isn't in their computer system yet. They're charging me an outrageous premium because they don't know what to charge.

Anybody else feeling CR-Z insurance pains?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Shop around. It costs nothing (besides your time) to switch half way through the policy term, and that includes homeowners.

I had situations where I switched carriers every couple of months (got two carriers bumping heads - lead to some serious discounts). The initial quote for the CR-Z was about 25% less than my 550i, so the stories about expensive parts are the BS excuses, just like you thought.

Certain carriers are very slow to do the actuarial work on new vehicles and tend to just price them in the stratosphere to drive the clients away until the numbers are crunched. It's a business - go somewhere else and come back once they get their stuff straight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Geico and while I'm leasing the car and Honda states that my insurance cover $300,000 worth of all damage, and I'm a Male under 25, I'm paying about $200 a month for the car. I would switch and probably will when my time is over, I just haven't had the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, paying more than I did for my 05 Focus hatchback. Shopped around and I still get the best rate where I'm at. My agent said its due to no real-world crash data (I think this is crud) and they are not yet sure how much the cars will be to repair.

I have Allstate with homeowners, multiple cars and some other discounts as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think I just got the wrong person on the other end of the phone. You know when you call about insurance and they make a real effort to get the best price? Well this woman didn't show any signs of that. I had no choice about insurer as I'm near the end of my policy and didn't want to loose the additional year claim free, so had to just change the vehicle on the policy. The car that was on it before was a 2007 BMW 330d M-sport, with a lot of aftermarket parts that were declared on the policy, so when she came back with £105 more for a standard car, when the CR-Z is at least one insurance group lower, and my new address is in the lowest insurance band possible compared with my last address.. I couldn't believe it! Looking forward to shopping around in Feb! I'm insured through Adrian Flux btw, they have been really good up till now lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Shop around. It costs nothing (besides your time) to switch half way through the policy term, and that includes homeowners.
:yeahthat:

The internet is a beautiful thing! Go to various insurance and insurance clearinghouse web sites with your existing auto policy in hand so that you can plug in the various numbers such as deductible, collision, comprehensive, liability, etc. Configure the coverage levels consistently on each web site (as you see fit) and generate a bunch of quotes. For many years I was insured by a little green fellow with a long tail, who always seemed like he had the best rates. :eyebrows: Then I ran into a wacky, sorta frenetic woman on the TV who works in her company's insurance shop and cheerfully helps out lots of people with a variety of insurance needs. :hyper: Turns out she was able to save us a few hundred bucks every six months on the two vehicles the wifey and I insure (CR-Z and a Civic couple). I've been extremely happy with my choice to switch, particularly after my boo-boo with my dear CR-Z, when the insurance company was super to work with and got my baby fixed up good as new! :thumbsup:

It cost no money to shop around online, you don't have to deal with potentially annoying/misinformed insurance sales people, and it's a super way to compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
We are ALL getting screwed by insurance companies. I have paid out thousands of more dollars to my insurance company than I have ever used. When I needed them they were there once and not there once. The next incident (let's hope there isn't one) will determine if i stick with them or not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make sure they know its CRZ not CRV. When I first called for a quote I was expecting it to be lower, but it was $500 higher.. and she was all confused about why the dealer said it would be lower. I still went with it figuring I would shop around.

I called my normal agent the next day and he saw she had quoted me the CRV SUV vs. CRZ car. That brought the price a little lower than my Jetta was, but not by a ton.

I could get little lower rates elsewhere, but I have it all bundled with the house and this company had the best house rates... so Im just calling it even cause shopping for insurance is a pain.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Shop around. Progressive insured my car for 25% less than another reputable company, with the same coverage.

Also, if you don't call and get a new quote every 6 months to a year, you'll get ripped off. Get new quotes and get them often!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think I just got the wrong person on the other end of the phone. You know when you call about insurance and they make a real effort to get the best price? Well this woman didn't show any signs of that. I had no choice about insurer as I'm near the end of my policy and didn't want to loose the additional year claim free, so had to just change the vehicle on the policy. The car that was on it before was a 2007 BMW 330d M-sport, with a lot of aftermarket parts that were declared on the policy, so when she came back with £105 more for a standard car, when the CR-Z is at least one insurance group lower, and my new address is in the lowest insurance band possible compared with my last address.. I couldn't believe it! Looking forward to shopping around in Feb! I'm insured through Adrian Flux btw, they have been really good up till now lol.
I know Admiral have been slammed by some in the UK on prices, but I've not had a problem in the past 18 months - and the price was very competitive.
As I kept the smart car, I just went onto a 'multi car' policy when the Z arrived in early October - which for the 2 cars is only £22 per year more than Honda insurance quoted me just for the CR-Z. Got quotes back in July when I paid the deposit - and they had it listed even then.
Fully comp for both cars - this includes also husband on to drive both too, also commuting for both of us came to a total of £321.00 for the year.

ps: I dont work for them! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I moved to Admiral at the beginning of the year, and before i got the CRZ I had a Range Rover Sport. When changing to the CRZ, I had no problem and also got a refund on the insurance. So would agree with above shop around but Admiral seems to be pretty good when it comes to cost. Also moved to Multi car with the wife, and we both save. :)

PS I dont work for them :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know Admiral have been slammed by some in the UK on prices, but I've not had a problem in the past 18 months - and the price was very competitive.
As I kept the smart car, I just went onto a 'multi car' policy when the Z arrived in early October - which for the 2 cars is only £22 per year more than Honda insurance quoted me just for the CR-Z. Got quotes back in July when I paid the deposit - and they had it listed even then.
Fully comp for both cars - this includes also husband on to drive both too, also commuting for both of us came to a total of £321.00 for the year.

ps: I dont work for them! :rolleyes:
I can't use multi car as the small print says two cars two drivers.. only me in the household and three cars currently.. so surely each policy should be 1/3 of a single car policy? In an idea world anyway lol. I can't get a quote near yours, I'm not female and I'm late 20's so I'm still high risk, even with 100% clean sheet! :(

·
Registered
693 Posts
I do feel for you youngsters with the insurance rates that you have to pay.

When I was 17 and got my first car, my insurance was $600/year. That seemed like allot of money, and it was for a 17 year old student/busboy making $2.05/hr.

But for the past 34 years my insurance has basically remained $600/year, (give or take $100) whether I was driving a $60,000 NSX or a $5000 Ford Focus. My CRZ is $550/year with full coverages and a $500 collision deducible. I do get a ton of discounts including multicar, multi-line and accident free for more than 10 years.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
State Farm took a month and about 6 phone calls over that time for them to get the right car. They kept sending me a statement with the wrong car type..I still feel im getting shafted though. They kept putting CR-V. I kept telling them it's a hybrid, but I don't think they're considering it as a discount. Because the cost of the crz was the same as my prelude was before It was paid off. Strange.

I bet the CRV guys are getting a hard time too with the insurance companies putting CRZ on their statements. *lol*

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.