Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dudes and Dudettes, I'm kinda weird about keeping the engine and compartment REALLY clean. Any input on what to avoid spraying with water, and touching when wiping things down. Thanks Chaz

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to be that way too but stopped after I sold my 92 Toyota pickup. Just too much stuff there that can go wrong. Most of the detail shops I worked in stopped steam cleaning engines.

I'd be intrested to hear others thoughts.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i did remember seeing a thread WAYY a long time ago on toronto civics and it was a guy who had an old EF and he restored the entire bay to new condition. All he used was WD-40 and a paint brush to get the gunk off.

The great thing about WD-40 is that it dissapates so it will go away and leave your surface pristine eventually.

·
Registered
95 Posts
:dunno:

Go to Wendy's and get a frosty...enjoy the frosty and then take the provided straw, clean it very well...make sure you get out all the frosty mix...and use the straw to blow really hard on your engine. Try to minimize spit and make sure you take a break if you start to feel faint or lose vision in one or both eyes. :hi5:

I really like the WD-40 idea with a paintbrush, that's how I used to clean my RC cars.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
my dad told me to use WD-40 years ago but never did, always worried me that the car would catch on fire(it was a VW). I usually used a degreaser, paint brush and toothbrush, and did small sections at a time and rinsed that section off with a spray bottle of water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Dudes and Dudettes, I'm kinda weird about keeping the engine and compartment REALLY clean. Any input on what to avoid spraying with water, and touching when wiping things down. Thanks Chaz
I am the same and love keeping my engine clean BUT I will never do this my self, because cleaning the engine my self will leave contaminants as waste and you would have no place to get rid of them, this practice will be very unfriendly to the environment. What I recommend and do is that I get my car's engine cleaned from a professional steam cleaning service like DetailXperts who are authorized to do this and have drains for such kind of waste.

*Edit: I see that you have already done it, I recommend you don't do it again your self again!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The CR-Zs are brand new, so there aren't pools of old cancerous oil or coolant on the engine. There are more contaminants coming off the brakes when you wash your brand new car than coming off these brand new engines.

And if you got your CR-Z from a dealership in CA it's likely they tire shined/armor all'd the engine bay with some greasy stuff like mine, and that will actually cause the rubber vacuum and coolant hoses to dry-rot and deteriorate faster. I wouldn't be planning to wash my engine bay had the dealership not done this just prior to taking delivery of it. So thank the dealerships for any extra 'contaminants' (tire shine/armor all) in the sewage this month.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Use Simple Green and an asormant of brushes and a spray bottle of water. I let it dry overnight they hit with Adams, In and Out spray.
Since most of our cars are usually pretty new (leases), I typically use a very light spray (no high pressure) of water to dampen everything and knock the dust off. Then I chamois dry the ponding water in the crevices. I might use an old toothbrush and some simple green if I encounter anything greasy. I usually start the car and run it a while to help it dry, but then let it air dry the rest of the way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am the same and love keeping my engine clean BUT I will never do this my self, because cleaning the engine my self will leave contaminants as waste and you would have no place to get rid of them, this practice will be very unfriendly to the environment. What I recommend and do is that I get my car's engine cleaned from a professional steam cleaning service like DetailXperts who are authorized to do this and have drains for such kind of waste.

*Edit: I see that you have already done it, I recommend you don't do it again your self again!

I'm speechless... Ok, I won't do it again. NOT!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I finally got around to cleaning out the engine. Primary reason: greasy tire-shine like stuff sprayed by dealer during the car wash just prior to taking delivery.

On older Hondas I would cover up the distributor, battery and alternator as best I could.

On the CR-Z I didn't cover anything, the battery has a good cover over the positive terminal and the 100V connection loom to the IMA system is very well sealed.

I sprayed it down with a water, then sprayed some Simple Green degreaser. Let it sit for a few minutes (less than 5) and rinsed it all off, started up the car and dried off what I could with a towel, then took it for a drive to help dry out the rest. No scrubbing and the engine and entire bay are nice and clean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.