Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on chancing the factory oil at 3500mi. The way I drive it will be a long time before the car tells me to. Japan doesn't know how little I drive? I'm going off the advice of this forum and my local HONEST mechanic who currently has 3 Honda's of his own.
So Am I nuts? Go ahead guys I can take it.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I'm planning on chancing the factory oil at 3500mi. The way I drive it will be a long time before the car tells me to. Japan doesn't know how little I drive? I'm going off the advice of this forum and my local HONEST mechanic who currently has 3 Honda's of his own.
I changed mine at 3K something. Went with 0W20 synth (Castrol Edge) and a K&N oil filter and do not plan on changing again until the minder tells me to. I just didn't totally trust the factory oil and filter to take me to 7-10K which would of been about 7 months. Others will disagree, but, with my low mileage driving, I just did not feel comfortable with the factory stuff staying in... Especially the filter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi EvanCRZ,

So Am I nuts?
NO! I love massaging my car. How will you get to know your car if you don't? The fun part of this car's oil change is the undercover. See pg 250 of your owners manual.

Have fun with your Honda hybrid, I do.

-Roger

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
use the minder to tell you when to change oil - i believe in it. Also i looked it up: there is factory fill. You want to leave that in during break in.

I drive the car hard, not breaking laws but i drive it hard. My oil life is 50% at 2400 miles. People here are quoting 6k+ oil changes which makes sense as it reflects the way they drive. I will see oil change intervals sooner than others here so i can tell the minder is doing its job.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i didnt do my first change i brought it to a dealer for the first one just cuz it was too cold to do myself in the driveway. Changed it at about 5k i think which was about 30-40%, i dont like going to far past 50% oil life. But will be getting synth oil and maybe a mugen filter but would like to see some cut aways of different filters to see which one will flow the best.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wait to change your oil, someone here on the forum changed their oil at 10k miles and sent in the oil to be analyzed and it turns out that it was the perfect time to change the oil. So honda knows the right time to change the oil, at least for this car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
<Snip> use the minder to tell you when to change oil - i believe in it. Also i looked it up: there is factory fill. You want to leave that in during break in.
This is true, my GF just bought a new CR-V and the manual says not to change. Also, when I bought my E the dealer told me not to change the factory oil it is supposed to help with the break in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The onboard computer flashed-up that it was time to change the oil & filter.....'spanner symbol & letter A' within so many miles.....which I had changed by dealer. They also checked tyres & brake wear.
The first major service is at 12,500 miles (or 12 months) here in the UK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Factory knows best...

This is true, my GF just bought a new CR-V and the manual says not to change. Also, when I bought my E the dealer told me not to change the factory oil it is supposed to help with the break in.
That's correct, it's an oil formulated with less anti wear additives specifically for break in.

The new engine needs a little wear for the engine components to wear/break in together.

Normal off the shelf oils use anti wear additives which prevents this from occurring.

I'd follow the manual too ....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, you are nuts but that has nothing to do with changing your oil. It's your car so do what you want. I'm at 4,000 miles and not even tempted to change it. I suspect the temptation will get stronger as the mileage increases.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its not a oil change reminder. It uses data from your car, I think using the MAF. The millage will change on when to change your oil based on the way u drive it. My civic light would come on around 7500. when the mechanic inspected it after I traded in, made a comment on how clean the engine was. I use to work for Honda, and they push using their maintenance gauge. changing it at a certain mileage makes no sense.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its not a oil change reminder. It uses data from your car, I think using the MAF. The millage will change on when to change your oil based on the way u drive it. My civic light would come on around 7500. when the mechanic inspected it after I traded in, made a comment on how clean the engine was. I use to work for Honda, and they push using their maintenance gauge. changing it at a certain mileage makes no sense.
Depends on what & where you drive - here in the UK, as previously mentioned, service intervals are fixed at 12 months/12500 miles on the CR-Z & Civic, but the Accord & Jazz have variable servicing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recall this discussion on GreenHybrid and CleanMPG about leaving the first oil in as long as possible, it has special additives in it that are good for the engine iirc.

Plus, if the oil isn't bad, changing it is essentially wasting it, which sorta goes counter to the whole saving fuel (oil) idea of the car, does it not?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.