Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i drive a 14' CVT CRZ.
During my 100,000 km service last year the mechanic said he spotted oil around one of the spark plugs. (I told him to swap the spark plugs for me) Recently I sent the car in for service again and he said there's a probability the piston ring on one of the cylinder is giving problems. A common problem for honda hybrid engines he says. Additionally, I've noticed the car smells like something is burning when I'm accelerating hard near 5k rpm.

Things to note
1) Afaik, the car doesn't burn oil in fact I have never needed to top it off since my last service. And so far I don't see any blue smoke of sorts.
2) I've read other crz owners saying their cars have a burning scent when revving hard but I can't narrow it down where it's coming from. It's very worrying to drive fast/hard now 馃槩
3) I'm not an engine expert but is there a way to diagnose an engine without needing to take the entire thing apart?

id like to know if any crz owners had swapped their piston rings on their cars and had similar issues. This is giving me a headache 馃槴
Any help at all is greatly appreciated 馃檹

Registered
Can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e heard anything on this forum about the lea-mf6 engine having piston ring issues or excessive oil burning problems.

The smell when driving hard I reckon is the IMA battery or wires that produce a slight burning/electrical smell when pulling full current. Happens regularly in my cr-z when it鈥檚 at full throttle for a good few seconds.

Premium Member
It sounds to me like you are getting ripped off and this mechanic will say anything to lighten your wallet.

Does not sound common to me. I would go to a different mechanic. The plugs should not have any issues for up to 100k MILES. I had a shop who did my oil change drip oil all over my engine and I smelled burning oil as I drove away after the service and made them clean the engine and car has never been back to them. Some dishonest mechanics do things to make car smoke , spray oil on shocks and claim a leak , etc .

Burning smell maybe from oil dripped on the IMA. In my 2013 the only time I smelled anything burning was after the oil was dripped all over my engine. Now every time I have an oil change I look under the hood and make sure there are no drips.

Registered
The only 'burning' i have ever smelled is the rotten egg smell that is common on these cars when you heat the cat up nice and good for a while. Otherwise.. no burning smells i've noticed.

You could get a leak down test which would tell you if all the cylinders are good or not.

Also, if its not burning oil.. then its not burning oil.

Valve cover gasket may also cause a bit of issues with leaking oil. Most cars have 'spark plug tube' seals as well under the valve cover. I'm not sure if ours do or not. It may just be sealed with the valve cover?? Anyone know?

Hopefully not the pistons, but, i doubt it is!! May be good to get another opinion, or get a leak down test, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e heard anything on this forum about the lea-mf6 engine having piston ring issues or excessive oil burning problems.

The smell when driving hard I reckonis the IMA battery or wires that produce a slight burning/electrical smell when pulling full current. Happens regularly in my cr-z when it鈥檚 at fill throttle for a good few seconds.
I've read someone else on this forum mentioning about this, the scent coming from the IMA. I just wish a honda engineer could verify this. Kind of unnerving to smell fire while driving hard. If you say it also happens regularly on yours it does at least puts me at ease.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds to me like you are getting ripped off and this mechanic will say anything to lighten your wallet.

Does not sound common to me. I would go to a different mechanic. The plugs should not have any issues for up to 100k MILES. I had a shop who did my oil change drip oil all over my engine and I smelled burning oil as I drove away after the service and made them clean the engine and car has never been back to them. Some dishonest mechanics do things to make car smoke , spray oil on shocks and claim a leak , etc .

Burning smell maybe from oil dripped on the IMA. In my 2013 the only time I smelled anything burning was after the oil was dripped all over my engine. Now every time I have an oil change I look under the hood and make sure there are no drips.
Damn, too bad about your car
So far, I don't think ive seen any oil dripped over my exhaust or driveway, the scent only starts when i rev it really hard, at idle it makes no smell at all.
I've had my fair share of mechanics who tried to rip me off before,
1st mechanic told me bearings were worn and need to be replaced
2nd mechanic - No problem
3rd mechanic - They're slightly worn
4th mechanic - did the most thorough test, went on multiple drives and said definitely no problems with the bearings 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only 'burning' i have ever smelled is the rotten egg smell that is common on these cars when you heat the cat up nice and good for a while. Otherwise.. no burning smells i've noticed.

You could get a leak down test which would tell you if all the cylinders are good or not.

Also, if its not burning oil.. then its not burning oil.

Valve cover gasket may also cause a bit of issues with leaking oil. Most cars have 'spark plug tube' seals as well under the valve cover. I'm not sure if ours do or not. It may just be sealed with the valve cover?? Anyone know?

Hopefully not the pistons, but, i doubt it is!! May be good to get another opinion, or get a leak down test, etc.
Right?? if its not burning oil it should be fine. I hope馃槶 Anyways imma check the oil regardless every few weeks or so just to be safe. Definitely looking into this leak down test thingy, i dont want these guys tearing my engine up in half to solve a problem that might not have even existed.

Premium Member
Yes, I had a conversation with the Service manager and asked if have they ever heard of a funnel. I had a burnt oil smell and smoke from under the hood and every part of the top of the engine was wet with oil.

Oil if leaking with the covers under the engine and other places may never reach the ground but will end up in places where hot parts are. Usually exhaust manifold or I think the IMA motor has some places fluids can drip. My usual attitude is everything is as it should be unless proven otherwise by visible damage or warning lights .

I doubt you have an issue other than maybe dripped oil on engine.

Damn, too bad about your car
So far, I don't think ive seen any oil dripped over my exhaust or driveway, the scent only starts when i rev it really hard, at idle it makes no smell at all.
I've had my fair share of mechanics who tried to rip me off before,
1st mechanic told me bearings were worn and need to be replaced
2nd mechanic - No problem
3rd mechanic - They're slightly worn
4th mechanic - did the most thorough test, went on multiple drives and said definitely no problems with the bearings 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Hi everyone, i drive a 14' CVT CRZ.
During my 100,000 km service last year the mechanic said he spotted oil around one of the spark plugs. (I told him to swap the spark plugs for me) Recently I sent the car in for service again and he said there's a probability the piston ring on one of the cylinder is giving problems. A common problem for honda hybrid engines he says. Additionally, I've noticed the car smells like something is burning when I'm accelerating hard near 5k rpm.
Don't trust a mechanic in Malaysia. Piston ring slightly worn, just use higher viscosity engine oil. It can last for 150~200K km until needed for an overhaul and piston ring replacement. My friend who owns a Insight once had low engine oil, honda service centre asking him to do a full overhaul and piston replacement. I mean can they at least read some books? LEA-MF6 piston are lubricated by merely fuel, it doesn't has oil squiter like k-series engine.

Most JDM car has slight smell when pulls up to redline for a period. Catalytic conv., tyre, clutch and burning wires in your bay may cause smell.

Premium Member
Only if you are desperate and issue proved should you use the heavier oil solution. These cars have very tight tolerances and are supposed to have 0W20 oil in them. The OP I believe the mechanic just does not know what he is talking about in regards to a CR-Z.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill have a thorough check under my car to see if there were any signs of oil spillage. Perhaps im over thinking it. I made a user account for this because i can't search for other users encountering this issue. Needed to know if it was an isolated issue.

i'm not sure if i want to follow anything other than the recommended oil viscosity provided by the manufacturer, but man, youre right about mechanics in malaysia. I wish i know some good ones in Penang. They think im drowning in money just because i drive a 2 door car. It's a honda folks, not a bugatti. Interesting he said the same thing about an insight as well needing an overhaul and piston ring replacement etc.

Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
Personally, I've never had any burning smell coming from my car. Yesterday I went from 40-100 mph full-throttle with S+. The battery went from 6 bars all the way to 1 bar and didn't sense any smell. I never have, and I drive hard often.

I'm not an engine expert but is there a way to diagnose an engine without needing to take the entire thing apart?
You could do a leakdown test and a compression test. They can tell you that something is wrong, but it could be any number of things, from dirty valves to worn out engine to blown head gasket. AFAIK you'd need to remove the head and pistons to see if the rings are bad.

What did he mean by oil on the plug? If it's oil on the business end, I'm not sure what that means, but I'd imagine that the engine would need to burn lots of oil for that to happen. If it's on the ceramic part, then you have a valve cover gasket leak, which isn't a huge repair.

I've noticed the car smells like something is burning when I'm accelerating hard near 5k rpm
Check your exhaust. A number of years back, I had a car that would smell burnt after driving for a while. Turns out there was a plastic bag melted onto the exhaust, and it produced the smell when the exhaust heated up.

i'm not sure if i want to follow anything other than the recommended oil viscosity provided by the manufacturer
I don't recommend it. A car's engine is designed with a certain oil weight in mind. Going too thick can cause the oil to not flow properly, causing poor lubrication. Going too thin causes the oil to not have good film-strength, also causing poor lubrication. I religiously stick to the recommended oil weight and use full-synthetic.

Registered
Like DigiPhux said get a compression leak down test to confirm all cylinders have good compression. My guess is if your car is running fine then its fine. You will definitely know if one of your cylinders isn't working properly you would lose 25% engine power and your car wouldn't get to far, its happened to me when one of my coil packs failed. Other cars can limp home on 3 cylinders but not my crz. I had to tow it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No smell huh, some crz owners have it and others dont. Strange. I believe it was oil on the ceramic part of the plugs, if I recall correctly. I might just request for a compression/leak down test the next time I pay a different mechanic a visit. I'm hoping it's nothing or at least something small like the valve cover gasket.
As of now I'm not detecting any signs of power loss, it feels the same as it always have been.
btw I really appreciate every one of your answers & help, i was beginning to lose my mind. I will update here if the car is giving any issues.

Registered
Don't trust a mechanic in Malaysia. Piston ring slightly worn, just use higher viscosity engine oil. It can last for 150~200K km until needed for an overhaul and piston ring replacement. My friend who owns a Insight once had low engine oil, honda service centre asking him to do a full overhaul and piston replacement. I mean can they at least read some books? LEA-MF6 piston are lubricated by merely fuel, it doesn't has oil squiter like k-series engine.

Most JDM car has slight smell when pulls up to redline for a period. Catalytic conv., tyre, clutch and burning wires in your bay may cause smell.
Pistons are lubed by oil splashed from the rods. piston oil squirters are for cooling not lubrication. If you have fuel in the rings, you'll have a bad day.

As for the oil, I'd always recommend going by the manufacturer's spec but just to be argumentative, lifetime fill fluids mean lifetime of the warranty and automotive design is often compromised by by bean-counters, lawyers, and legislation like CAFE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.