Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I have a CR-Z Sport registered in October 2010 with 2000 miles on the clock as of yesterday.

When cleaning the wheels last week I notice that corrosion is starting allready! Nothing too major at the moment but you can see it starting on the polished edges of the stock wheels.

Anyone else noticed this? We have had snow and salty roads here in the UK but I expected the wheels to be a little tougher. Saying that my first Accord went through 2 sets of alloys, second Accord was on its 3rd and my neighbours S2000 had about 3 sets and countless refurbs. I am slightly frustrated Honda havn't learnt by now, must cost a fortune in warrently claims - which I can see me having to do in a year or so.

I don't use any acid cleaners and allways use a wheel sealent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of the OEM wheels I've had over the years have been changed under Warranty due to corrosion around the centre ring where the centre cap pops in.

You're right that the manufacturers should have this sorted by now, but the UK does have a bad track record with salted roads etc and corroded alloys. It'd be interesting to see if other country's wheel suffer from corrosion too.

I was told once that my corrosion wasn't bad enough to change under warranty (any corrosion should be enough in my opinion!). So I was told to pour warm salt solution on the wheel to accelerate the damage and make the warranty photos look better. Wrong if you ask me (and I didn't do it either) and my wheels were changed anyways.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that they corrode - previous Honda and 2 Lexus had the same problems (I think the wheels are made by the same manufacturer as they have the same logo in the casting). A bit poor that it's started so soon though to say the least.
Mines only 5 weeks and I don't have any corrosion yet, but by the weekend..... who knows?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes mine are going the same way, noticed it this weekend, it's the first Honda I've owned and I'm surprised at the comments made regarding it being a problem with Honda's.
I was going to mention it the next time at the dealership, has anyone had issues with getting replacements through the waranty in the past on other Honda's ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, if you're living and driving in snow (there's salt to follow) and that will do a number on your car parts. Still at 2k miles seems a bit premature....

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Well, if you're living and driving in snow (there's salt to follow) and that will do a number on your car parts. Still at 2k miles seems a bit premature....
Most people like to detail/wash their own cars, but there is something to be said by going through a car wash that also cleans under you car and in and around the wheels every now and then. Helps remove all that salt and other corrosive materials. Especially if you live/drive around salt water.

Some may disagree. I am not a big detail freak. But, have never had an issue with corrosion and have never purchased the dealer add ons like anticorrosion treatments etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the cr-z to the dealer to look at the wheel corrosion, they took pictures and emailed them to Honda UK. Honda have agreed to replace all 4 under warranty, I just hope this set last a little bit longer. First class service from the dealer as usual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cleaning the car at the weekend I noticed some pitting on the outer polished rim of the wheel; particularly annoyed as I am so careful to keep the wheels clean (even in freezing weather) and stay clear of kerbs!
Looks like I will be visiting the dealer :cry:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would love to buy those corroded wheels from your dealer and use them for winter tires.

I would paint or powdercoat them.

Not knocking your decision to have them replaced, it is a warranty issue.
Just would love to buy them without a warranty ... as is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took the car into the dealer to have a look at the wheels, he did not seem surprised when I explained the issue, he took a few photos and the car has been in for it's first annual service and all four wheels have been replaced.
Very impressed with the dealer customer service and Honda as well.

How many other owners are having issues with the wheels ?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Almost all wheel suppliers are going to have this issue from time to time due to inconsistencies in manufacturing practices.

Remember that the purchase order that automakers place for alloys usually goes to the lowest bidder who claims to be able to come up with a given design. Cutting costs on the 4x wheels on each car is a huge priority for most automakers.

Anyway, most of them will get supplier reimbursement for batches of wheels that exhibit premature oxidation or corrosion (when it's obviously not curb-rash).

Do you have any pictures of this corrosion?

Here's a picture of the issue affecting Mazda3s back in 2006. Many people (myself included) received free replacement wheels due to this:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought the car in June 2010, and all four wheels were replaced in March 2011 due to corrosion (exactly the same as described - around the polished rim). Just been back to the dealer today, as the second set are going exactly the same way as the first. Honda won't let you keep the corroded wheels or paint or coat them, but do seem to be OK to continue to replace them every year until the warranty runs out.
Doesn't seem to matter how carefully you look after them (both sets have been waxed) - one winter in the UK is all they can take. The wheels that were fitted to my previous Honda (Civic Type S) were as good as new after 3 years.
Dealer took some pictures as before, waiting to see what Honda have to say - would be nice if there was another wheel design to choose from that didn't have the same problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.