Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey

Mine is an ex with a subwoofer but non Navi.

As some members' recommendations, I decided to keep using the factory amp to power the speakers and tweeters which saved me so much time to do wiring on crossovers and amp.

Front speakers, the top of the JBL line, GTO Stadium 609C (bought it for 60%off from amazon Canada miraculously, the last item)

Rear speakers = Hertz 2 way coaxial basic speakers

So far, I m happy with the front speakers and tweeters. It did really make a big change in terms of clarity. mid bass seems slightly richer too.

I mistakenly broke the right A pillar door clip(triangle) which is known to be fragile but unlike the B pillar clip, it seems to be 4 times cheaper ($12 usd on honda parts vs $ 49) but it's held on to the door pretty well. Maybe I will buy it if I have to buy other stuff to save shipping cost.

I didn't do any sound proofing or dynamic stuff. I indeed purchased some thick soft cushion like rubber sound dampening (2cm thick) and maybe I will apply them later to see if it would make some difference.

So far, the sound is much more clear.

The subwoofer part is not satisfying my need. Hence I started installing an 8 awg amp kit yesterday and an android headunit.

I will post that on a separate post as I m having some difficulties (no sound)

I think JBL is good for the price but I really want to try Infinity Perfect series when I make more money.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I almost did all this modification...Then did some research..and ran into this video..Holy Crap!! Rockin!!
Oh I used that trick with my Honda Accord 2013 before and it worked.
The guy said "you have to do everytime when you start your car" but for Honda Accord, it was half true because once you reset the audio EQ, then it permanently sets to that setting even the screen says other wise, but once you touch an EQ setting then it sets everything back to the typical muddy setting. I heard that this muddy EQ setting was to prevent from the Honda's cheap speakers and subwoofer blowing up. Anyways, I would like to try this with my CR-Z but my CR-Z doesn't have a navi. It's a non-navi EX version.

But in that video, I noticed that he has the NAVI version.
What about for non-NAVI version??? Do you have a video for that? I tried looking but I couldn't find one

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost did all this modification...Then did some research..and ran into this video..Holy Crap!! Rockin!!
modification meaning like changing speakers I assume?
What about the headunit? did you change it? or keep it factory?

I believe that amplifiers in general do not have a memory to keep the EQ setting (hence most of them have the hard/analogue and dial style knobs to change the setting physically) hence I think changing the HU would totally change the Sound Quality after all.

I've read a post of a member who bought exactly same unit as mine and he noticed a dramatic improvement in sound, which I think supports my idea.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I did is what is on the video...went from normal...which sucks...to flat which sounds good. I have a 2016 model ex-l navi. I'm sure there are options for the models below 2016
I believe this is probably for navi units. You know, the Honda accord (9th gen) came with a standard screen? Well, mine was the top of the line so it had a navi too and Honda accord had exactly the same procedure to get into the develor's tool to flatten the EQ and it changed the sound for sure. Unlike what t he video said, the flat setting remained permanently as long as you did not change any EQ setting after restarting a car.

Anyways, I took out the factory HU and holy cow, the sound quality is like night and day difference now with the android headunit I got. It's SO LOUD and CLEAR. I have to find the sweet spot as this EQ has like over 50 EQ bars to set up, starting from 20Hz 30Hz 40Hz 50Hz 60Hz all the way up to 20K+ Hz.
My JBL Stadium speakers are doing really good now and believe or not, the bass coming from the JBL mid woofers are louder than the stock factory subwoofer lol.

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
242 Posts
My JBL Stadium speakers are doing really good now and believe or not, the bass coming from the JBL mid woofers are louder than the stock factory subwoofer lol.
I can believe it. I put in an Alpine stereo and Hertz woofers in the front and the subwoofer only appears to drive after you raise the volume to a certain amount.
That amount being right before the amp starts to distort. I am considering replacing the sub and the amp to get more control over that. The Alpine has a specific subwoofer output I could be using instead.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I can believe it. I put in an Alpine stereo and Hertz woofers in the front and the subwoofer only appears to drive after you raise the volume to a certain amount.
That amount being right before the amp starts to distort. I am considering replacing the sub and the amp to get more control over that. The Alpine has a specific subwoofer output I could be using instead.
I removed the factory HU to replace it with a Chinese Android unit and kept the factory amp and factory subwoofer.
Holy cow, the JBL speakers are shining as if it has been unleashed. I strongly believe that the factory HU kinda made the sound muddy in order to prevent the amp and speakers from getting blown from working hard at loud volume.
Now, the volume 8 of 30 of this Android Unit I got is equal to 13-14 volume of 30 from the factory HU. You see the difference yea? So probably the max volume of factory HU used only max RMS wattage (safe zone) of the amp maybe?

The sound is so much more crispy but the android unit is causing some issues.
1. grey noise = apparently very very common issue with Chinese android units. I tried some suggestions but they didn't do anything to remove the grey noise.
Also I had the same issue with my Acura TL before with Nakamichi HU. At that time, I kept the factory HU and (JBL front speakers, rear hertz as well for TL) it started causing loud grey noise at any volume. I don't have time nor energy to try bypassing the factory amp and let the android unit directly power the speakers or my aftermarket amp powering the speakers hence I just left it as is. The grey noise went away when I directly powered the speakers from the Nakamichi HU. So maybe this could be possible? But I see many many forums complaining about grey noises with Chinese head units. Some of the cars seemed to have an external amp like CR-Z EX models like mine. Some seemed to be basic (non amp, no sub). So I assume this is not fixable lol. Some said by unplugging the radio antenna to the Chinese HU, it removed the grey noise, so I did the same but nope, it still was there.

2. Sometimes, (I think it's android HU issue), left side speakers gets severe loud grey noise with higher pitched radio frequency noises, zero audio coming out but noises only. The right side plays the sound right. I tried t turning off the head unit and on, change everything, go into setting,s etc., but nothing worked to fix this issue while the car was on. I had to completely turn off the car and turn it on again and this problem went away. But this happens every once in 10-20 times.

After all, this is an amazing head unit with great features but it has that typical made in China quality and glitches unfortunately in terms of hard ware quality. The android itself is great. Touch screen is excellent but the grey noise is a real problem. Also sometimes, maybe like 1 in 4-5 times, when you turn on the car, the android unit starts booting and when this happens, you can't trigger the backup camera screen immediately as you need to wait until Android gets fully loaded. I don't know what is causing this. It's really random.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, while I kept the factory subwoofer as the subwoofer follows the front speaker audio output, I added an after market amp (380w rms) and a 12" Pioneer shallow sub in a pioneer sealed box.
I strongly recommend it as the bass became significantly deeper. I was going to put a 12" JL sub in a ported box made by JL but it was taller than the trunk cover shade, so I went with the pioneer sub route.

If possible, I want to remove the factory sub with a 8" kicker sub and let the aftermarket amp power the kicker to make the trunk look clean lol.
Lots of work is needed to do this to prevent rattling noises.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts