Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
There is a new issue being investigated but this time it is not the Airbag itself, it is the ZF-TRW airbag control units. The years of our cars are covered (2010 all the way to 2019!) but I have not been able to find out if CR-Zs are included,other Honda's are.

Found more information today. Here is some links from various sources. Note this is not a recall (yet) just an NHTSA investigation.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/23/airbag-failures-zf-trw-12-milion-cars/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/04/23/nhtsa-airbag-investigation-fiat-chrysler-honda-hyundai-toyota/3547909002/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/nhtsas-new-airbag-investigation-covers-123-million-vehicles/
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/cars/air-bag-investigation-trnd/index.html
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/investigation-zf-trw-airbag-failures.shtml

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is so bad and sad:
Statement from American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Re: Confirmed Rupture of Defective Takata Airbag Inflator in Buckeye, AZ: March 29, 2019 | Honda Airbag Info

While my 2016 CRZ has not been included in the recall, you just have to wonder why not and is there an undiscovered scenario still out there.

Yeah, wish I still had my no-airbag 1989 Supra.
The 2016 I think was made after they found the issue and corrected it. Give it time, yours may still be covered.

There is a new round of recalls but this time it is not the Airbag itself, it is the controller for it. Made by another company. The years of our cars are covered (2010 all the way to 2019!) but I have not been able to find out if CR-Zs are included,other Honda's are. I heard it on the news this morning.:frown2:
rrrrrrrrrgh!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Yeah. "....Honda has now confirmed 14 deaths and more than 200 injuries in the U.S. related to Takata airbag driver’s front inflator ruptures in the field. In addition, another automaker has experienced two fatalities in the U.S. due to the rupture of Takata airbag inflators – meaning the industry as a whole has experienced 16 fatalities in the U.S.
While my 2016 CRZ has not been included in the recall, you just have to wonder why not and is there an undiscovered scenario still out there....."

Bad and sad, alright. That sixteen (still regrettable) deaths is forcing the recall of how many million cars, and causing the failure of a very large company. And how many people have been killed by their car rolling down the driveway and running them over? I still say there is something behind this entire campaign that we have no suspicion of. But just another example of what an out-of-control Chicken Little our society is becoming.

Yeah, wish I still had my no-airbag 1989 Supra.
I think mine was an '84, when they were still Celicas. God, what a locomotive that thing was, amazingly fast and quiet. But it got stolen and burned for a two-hundred dollar set of Bridgestones.

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
I posted below information updating my post with information about the NHTSA investigation into the controller. The last link ( from a source I am not that familiar with so view with skepticism) lists all affected models and the CR-Z is not listed but as we saw these things change over time with the airbag recall who knows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had no luck getting concrete information out of Honda UK on my CRZ.

The process (as they explain it to me) is that there is a secret list of affected cars and each week a few hundred off that list are passed to Honda UK, who then recall the cars. Whether my car is even on that master list or not, Honda UK cannot tell me.

My girlfriends 2009 Insight on the other hand has been recalled twice (with no explanation the second time as to what the difference was, so we disregarded it). It's a poor state of affairs, if I thought that there was a serious chance of it being deficient I'd be quite cross.

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
Can you contact Honda(Japan?) Directly? The second recall might be due to defective replacement units. I know some of the recalled cars were recalled a second time due to the replacements also having issues or for the Passenger side. Not all dealers have knowledgeable people who can read and explain the recalls. Contact a different dealer for details or a regulatory agency in your country. In the USA we would contact NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)

I've had no luck getting concrete information out of Honda UK on my CRZ.

The process (as they explain it to me) is that there is a secret list of affected cars and each week a few hundred off that list are passed to Honda UK, who then recall the cars. Whether my car is even on that master list or not, Honda UK cannot tell me.

My girlfriends 2009 Insight on the other hand has been recalled twice (with no explanation the second time as to what the difference was, so we disregarded it). It's a poor state of affairs, if I thought that there was a serious chance of it being deficient I'd be quite cross.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts