Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
@Rustbucket , I was looking at the crz service manual, and considering my mechanical skills are somewhat of amateur level, I was wondering If you did your own clutch replacement job?

I ask, not that i want to venture myself in it, but to actually see according to difficulty, which mechanic am I going to pick for the job. Any idea on how much time it takes +/-. I've checked and it involves disconnecting IMA cables, ECM connectors, so it's smelling like a sensitive job.

Any thoughts /considerations anyone can point me I'd appreciate

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
@Rustbucket , I was looking at the crz service manual, and considering my mechanical skills are somewhat of amateur level, I was wondering If you did your own clutch replacement job?

I ask, not that i want to venture myself in it, but to actually see according to difficulty, which mechanic am I going to pick for the job. Any idea on how much time it takes +/-. I've checked and it involves disconnecting IMA cables, ECM connectors, so it's smelling like a sensitive job.

Any thoughts /considerations anyone can point me I'd appreciate
It was the first clutch replacement I'd ever done! Wasn't too bad at all - did it on my back in the driveway. It can be done without removal of the subframe. First time it took me a couple hours because I was feeling it all out as I was going. Second and third time were under an hour. All in, you're probably looking at about three hours for transmission out, clutch in, transmission back on and reassembled.

Break the axle nuts free slightly while the car is still on the ground in case you need to use a breaker bar. The car should still be new enough that they'll come free with an impact, but just a heads up! To remove the axles, split the spindle from the lower balljoint rather than removing your eccentric bolts on the strut. Way easier method, one pin, one nut, and there's no fighting to find your alignment again after the fact. Use a deadblow to strike the spindle itself and it'll knock the balljoint out of it's taper - you'll have to give it some force, but I promise you it'll free up.

It's really not as daunting as it looks, and nothing scary going on with the IMA. There's a switch under the rear floor to turn the whole unit off during the process.

All you'll need to complete the service is basic hand tools and a good torque wrench. Follow OEM torque specs and procedures and you'll be golden.

Spec Clutch by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Spec Clutch by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Be sure to use an OEM throwout bearing, not the one included with the kit! Replace your old one with an OEM unit as you're doing this, they're inexpensive and it's good preventative maintenance.

Throwout Bearing CR-Z by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

A funnel and clear hose will make filling your transmission significantly easier after the fact.

Beyond that, there's not much else to worry about. Let me know if you've got any more questions! I had the transmission out on three different occasions, so I'm pretty well versed in it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks man! Seems like the service manual is making it sound harder than what it really is for a mechanic point of view. I'll have to consult the local dealer for the for the part, and see how much they rob me, I mean charge.
The clutch is still being prepped in Japan, but just wanted to plan ahead so that I wouldn't get caught with any nasty surprises.

Also one thing that is giving some chills, is that I have an intercooler pipe running horizontaly right beneath the oil pan. So.... Does the assembly need to come out vertically? Or is it possible to just assemble the clutch in place?

My trusted mechanic sadly doesn't have fabrication tools, meaning that of he needs to cut piping to assemble the clutch he won't be able to solder it back. Decisions decisions

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Sooooo:

After 2 weeks or so, my clutch has arrived from JaPéN. And also my LED from the U.S.
Everything went smooth, a couple of taxation on the customs for the clutch, but nothin i wasn't expecting.

@Rustbucket , bro, was this the part you said for me to buy? I've searched for what you said, and couldn't find the same name listed on their parts list. So it seemed like this one.

Here is some eye candy!!!

It looks real solidely built, and oozes confidence.
I'm still figuring out which mechanic will i take it too for assembly.

The project is getting closer and closer to beeing finished.
Also have a quote pending for the custom exhaust work, so everything is beeing taken care of.

PLOT TWIST:

I've been presented a chance of going to work to the U.K, which is a big improvement in payout, and overall life quality....Soooo my car will stay in the Garage, and am not sure when the clutch will be installed, as i'm not taking the car to the U.K.
Tadham!!!

What a turn of events haha.

... To be continued mah friends

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
It is too bad you can't take the car with you. If I relocate the UK I was curious what it would cost to move the car and some other items but I am in the US so it would be different. Good luck with it all.:smile2:
Sooooo:

After 2 weeks or so, my clutch has arrived from Japan. And also my LED from the U.S.
Everything went smooth, a couple of taxation on the customs for the clutch, but nothin i wasn't expecting.

@Rustbucket , bro, was this the part you said for me to buy? I've searched for what you said, and couldn't find the same name listed on their parts list. So it seemed like this one.

Here is some eye candy!!!

It looks real solidely built, and oozes confidence.
I'm still figuring out which mechanic will i take it too for assembly.

The project is getting closer and closer to beeing finished.
Also have a quote pending for the custom exhaust work, so everything is beeing taken care of.

PLOT TWIST:

I've been presented a chance of going to work to the U.K, which is a big improvement in payout, and overall life quality....Soooo my car will stay in the Garage, and am not sure when the clutch will be installed, as i'm not taking the car to the U.K.
Tadham!!!

What a turn of events haha.

... To be continued mah friends

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Taking the car there. Shoulnd't be an issue.
It's just a 1800km drive. 3-4 tanks + highway costs.

Not really sure about costs of keeping the car there.
Cause i won't legalize the car in the UK, since i would return to portugal and would have to legalize the car again here.

Maybe in the future i'll do some research about foreign licenses in UK, but considering the costs i could just go for a UK S2K, since i can't have one here.... :\

It did cross my mind to drive it all the way there, and have the project finished there, with a decent tuner and all that

And thanks, i hope all goes well too. It's always a jump, to leave your family and country behind....

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
I was looking at the pics of the new parts, and thought I was in Rustbuckets build thread for a moment there. :)

Good luck on the move and promotion--always scary to make that jump, but once you land, you're simply standing in your own life with an exciting new twist in the surroundings. When opportunity knocks, open the door and let it in! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I've been presented a chance of going to work to the U.K, which is a big improvement in payout, and overall life quality....
Let me know if you do come over, would be happy to meet up and swap some Z stories over a beer!

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Taking the car there. Shoulnd't be an issue.
It's just a 1800km drive. 3-4 tanks + highway costs.

Not really sure about costs of keeping the car there.
Cause i won't legalize the car in the UK, since i would return to portugal and would have to legalize the car again here.......
Eh, RHD, headlight stuff, other fiddles. May be better-off getting a used car in England. Any idea how long you'll be up there?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I'll have the 3 month trial period, and when that goes well I should be getting a perma contract. So I can't really predict how long I'll be there.

The real temptation, is because it would be a nice road trip, and that I could possibly get my project finished in the UK.
The building part, in terms of exhaust and assembling the clutch here in Portugal , is responding somewhat too slowly for my liking! Would love to take it to the guys that handled Martin's for example, but that would be only in the future.

As for renting, If it's anythingime here it doesn't pay off. Pricing is usually too high, the rental is too bad compared to what I'm used to.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
There's no problem having an EU car in the UK, there are lots of them here. One member of staff lives in Spain and drives here every summer, using his car. LHD causes some issues, but believe me the traffic is more of a problem.

TDI could certainly do the work but you may have to leave it with them. Where your work will be located is key.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Not familiar with what LHD is! (EDIT: Just googled it, lol wouldn't have guessed it )

Yeah I thought of the TDI guys Martin they seem legit from all the work they have been doing. But again, maybe a plan for a possible second year or at least 6 month.
I'm going to portsmouth, leaving the car with them, if they are trustworthy wouldn't be a problem, as I probably won't be needing the car everyday.

The key will be settling in an adapting.

Also coincidently, speeding tickets are getting tighter and tighter here. With automated radars hidden in key spots to hunt down some tickets...

I really want to conclude the project, if not only for being finished sake. I believe the end product will be even more amazing, without having to worry with the clutch, and a more civilized exhaust hehe.

It's not a Fart can, nor an annoying note, but it's a "all your neighbour's know you are coming" type of exhaust hehe.

I'll make a clip

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I'll have the 3 month trial period, and when that goes well I should be getting a perma contract. So I can't really predict how long I'll be there.
Oh, that doesn't help.

I understand about the road trip. They're better than most movies, anymore. Get a dash camera!

Of course I have no first-hand knowledge, but what I pick up from (the original) Top Gear and other British information I can pick up (I've wanted a Morgan since I found out about them, but the prices are beyond reality), I guess they're making driving in London impractical, and a lot of the road laws seem to be awfully stupid.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Oh, that doesn't help.

I understand about the road trip. They're better than most movies, anymore. Get a dash camera!

Of course I have no first-hand knowledge, but what I pick up from (the original) Top Gear and other British information I can pick up (I've wanted a Morgan since I found out about them, but the prices are beyond reality), I guess they're making driving in London impractical, and a lot of the road laws seem to be awfully stupid.
Yeah i assume that any big capital city has impossible traffic.
Glad i'm not going to one.

Regarding the 3 month trial period, well if i would start anything new here, it would be the same thing.
It's just the period for the employers to get to know you, and see that you aren't a douche...

In terms of Uk car situation i only saw the guys from wheeler dealers, and some episodes when they were importing cars from Jap and US to sell them in the Uk for some profit still....

The roadtrip subject, it's more because i haven't done one that big, specially with this car. and that it would be nice to finish the project. It would be completely international.

Parts from US, Japan, assembled in portugal and UK. Haha
It almost sounds like a legit build. :D

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
The road trip will require reliability otherwise you'll be in for a miserable experience. The Channel Tunnel makes it easy to get here, then the drive to Portsmouth would be an hour and a half to two hours.

London is horribly congested, like many cities, but don't believe everything you read. Speeding is mostly caught in towns and villages, pretty much everyone drives over the limit on motorways. The driving laws are less silly than, say, France and we don't have the ban on modifications that some countries impose.

I am only 45 minutes from Portsmouth down the M3 and then M27. The offer is always open if you want to meet up.

Reactions: Aceryl

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I will take you on the offer Ofc Martin! As soon as I get there and am not overwhelmed with adaptation and learning a new job properly.

In terms of reliability I wouldn't be concerned at all. Considering I wouldn't be driving at let's say 200kmh for 1900km, I say the car would handle pretty fine. Max I did was a 5 hour drive but still with stops and all that, I don't see the duration /distance being an issue for reliability. I'll have to consider it seriously, because if I do stay working in the UK, I won't have enough time during vacations to get the car finished in Portugal, so maybe taking it to the UK wouldn't be so far fetched at all. We'll see how it turns out.

Day by day
Really looking forward to it.

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
I had written a post and it vanished but if I were to move to the UK it would be a one way trip and my concern would be working there and moving a minimum of stuff there along with The Speed Bump. It is easier for you as you could drive there. I am in the US. As for long trips in a CR-Z it works well. I drove from Alexandria, VA to Austin, TX and then moved to Long Island, NY. Feel free to Google these places and see the distances involved in your preferred measurement system.

All the trips were solo and with appropriate things in the car I would need at the far end including on the TX trip an iMac in its box along with clothes etc. Never was anything higher than the cargo cover in the hatch. My bins ( US Model) were filled to the gills though. I wish I had taken pictures of the loads and posted here. I drove 7 hours total per day each leg of each trip. All guidance was by my trusty Garmin Nuvi 65. No reservations were made just found hotels using the Garmin.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I had written a post and it vanished but if I were to move to the UK it would be a one way trip and my concern would be working there and moving a minimum of stuff there along with The Speed Bump. It is easier for you as you could drive there. I am in the US. As for long trips in a CR-Z it works well. I drove from Alexandria, VA to Austin, TX and then moved to Long Island, NY. Feel free to Google these places and see the distances involved in your preferred measurement system.

All the trips were solo and with appropriate things in the car I would need at the far end including on the TX trip an iMac in its box along with clothes etc. Never was anything higher than the cargo cover in the hatch. My bins ( US Model) were filled to the gills though. I wish I had taken pictures of the loads and posted here. I drove 7 hours total per day each leg of each trip. All guidance was by my trusty Garmin Nuvi 65. No reservations were made just found hotels using the Garmin.
Sounds like a great experience.
If i didn't have the trial period, i would consider that relocation from the start.
But i guess it's better to take the reasonable and moderate approach, which is to see how it goes for the 3 months, analyze the area in terms of troubles, and then when everything aligns relocate the vehicle.

I was thinking on my way to work, to deal with the LHD "issue", maybe install a camera close to the right side for overtaking? ^^ heheh. It would work as a dash cam to some extent aswell.

Anyway, enough day dreaming.
Guess we'll see how it goes in 3 months.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
!!UPDATE!!

Warning Viewer discretion is advised!

So after a long wait, i've finally have a bit of info to leak, as i still don't have my car back, nor was i able to drive it yet, as i'm still in the UK!
Apparentely there were some issues with how things were done on the previous builder, on some oil feed hoses, and the oil pan, had a small gap that was causing little droplets to fall when parked.

BEFORE

AFTER

After that was dealt with, my new builder advised to replace the Acessories belt, which had a nice reminder from the Sprintex days :D

With that out of the way, the Clutch was then assembled, the Ogura Light 250. It has a small chatter when you go from stationary to start moving, but only if you try to stall the car.
In terms of driving you won't notice it. The pedal feels, harder to press, but at the same time more engaging. So far it's all i can say about the clutch. I didn't drive the car much when i visited home.

The car took NGK copper plugs with "temp" 7 instead of 6.

One of the changes that my tuner wanted to make, as he noticed, and i had complained before, was to get the transition between N/A and turbo, smoother and leaner in terms of fuel, as when you wanted to cruise at Highway speed, you'd be with the turbo completely full, making 0 PSI of pressure, burning up a lot of fuel while you were just cruising. Stuff that the previous tuner did, because he was tuning it for 91 octane, and now it has been tuned for 93. The gas is a bit more expensive true, but i'm expect some more fuel economy with the new tune, to compensate for the fuel cost.

Since our rods and extra thin, The tuner wanted to make a smoother Torque line at the start, so that it doesn't compromise so much their integrity. when launching at lower rpm.

Another thing that i wanted to change, since my previous exhaust seemed to have detiorated, and was hitting the bottom of the car, was to change it, ( remove and Flange the cataclityc converter, and make it slighty quieter for the true sleeper experience ). So now the line has 3 mufflers and 1 of them can be replaced with the CAT.

With all this coming together, and the tuner having quite some experience with Gas hondas and Turbo builds, he then set his mind to road tune the car, and today Took it to the dyno for some results. I confess that i was surprised, as i know he would never tune it if it wasn't to stay safe, and reliable. On our talks we both agreed that the idea was to keep or lower the pressure, and maintaing the power on the 200hp, but this turned out with a nice suprise, due to a series of factors, like Knowledge, experience, More octanes, different plugs, differente exhaust.

So without stalling further.

BEFORE

AFTER:grin2:

Now i can barely hold with excitement, as the tuner said, the last push, the IMA batteries drained in the end, so the results would have been a bit higher in terms of HP, something close to 230 - 235.
I'll try to make videos when i visit back Portugal in February!
For now i can only share with you my exciment, and now close the project. Unless @MartinT Decides to donate me his Vented Hood :D

VICTORY

121 - 140 of 150 Posts