Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the first one to wreck his CR-Z?

Actually, it was just sitting in the parking lot of my parents' senior apartment building in Minnesota when a snow plow back into (and onto) it the night of Wednesday, November 24. I need a new hood, front left fender, and work on the front bumper. At only 3 weeks old and about 500 miles, it was pretty disappointing to brush the snow off of it the next morning to find the damage. Fortunately it was still drivable and the other driver left contact info for insurance.

I do, however, wonder if there's any advantage in having the Honda dealer's body shop do the work, rather than reputable body shops closer to home. None can give an estimate on the job because the parts and car are so new. I'm leaning toward having the dealer do the work in case of any future warranty issues. Any thoughts on this?

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
sorry to hear about ur car :sadwavey:

when it comes to warranty stuff, it really doesn't matter who does the work... for example, the +2006 Civics had a recall on the hood for cracks in the paint... it was fixable under warranty... but if you had your car repainted before, warranty wouldn't cover it... so even if an issue like that comes up (doubtful) it still wouldn't cover it even if you got it repaired at a Honda dealership...

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Sorry to hear. A friend's wife backed in to mine when it was new, too. Paper plates and all.

I think 3 things cause it.
1. People are jealous of your new ride.
2. It's a little car thus hard to see.
3. People are just non driving 'tards

I would take it to your dealer. If they don't have a body shop on the premises, they will have a good one to refer you to.

· Registered
237 Posts
I narrowly avoided totaling my CR-Z just last week, though it wasn't without damage. A deer decided to jump the K-Rail on the highway (Yes, the interstate) and land basically right on top of my driver side mirror, which exploded. He also dented the fender scratched the hell out of the drivers door, window glass.

It was, however, instant Karma for the deer as the Semi-truck that was behind me on the highway hit him square, exploding him in a hamburger mess all of the highway. That's what happens, ya jerk!

· Registered
183 Posts
I was rear ended a couple of weeks ago. The only shop in the area that can even give me an estimate for repairs, let alone fix it, was the Honda Dealership. So I would highly recommend taking it there.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
I was rear ended a couple of weeks ago. The only shop in the area that can even give me an estimate for repairs, let alone fix it, was the Honda Dealership. So I would highly recommend taking it there.
Agree, as new as the car is, would let the dealer take care of it if your insurance company doesn't require 3 quotes or something simular. One of the risks we take with buying a first run one of a kind (or niche) car..

R/Scott

· Registered
675 Posts
The "dealer" bodyshops are usually a separate business entity and just because they share the building, it does not guarantee a quality job. I'd be more inclined to use a shop recommended by the insurer since it gives you more leverage if something is wrong, or just go by referral from someone you trust. I've had great work done by a no-name shop and horrible end result from a "dealer" bodyshop (also took them 45 days), so caveat emptor, as always.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
The "dealer" bodyshops are usually a separate business entity and just because they share the building, it does not guarantee a quality job. I'd be more inclined to use a shop recommended by the insurer since it gives you more leverage if something is wrong, or just go by referral from someone you trust. I've had great work done by a no-name shop and horrible end result from a "dealer" bodyshop (also took them 45 days), so caveat emptor, as always.
:hail: i'm glad someone else pointed this out... you will never find a "Honda Collision Center" it'll always read "___(insert dealer name)___ Collision Center" or replace collision center with body shop if you prefer that...

HONDA is NOT in the business of fixing/repairing vehicles that's been in an accident... they make cars . (big period for those that missed it) dealerships sell them, authorized Honda dealerships service them and body shops (collision centers) fix them after get wrecked...

i tried explaining this in another thread but some people seem to think that the "dealer" fixes all and allows them to keep warranty etc... i wish people would educate themselves a bit on the industry...

/rant :popcorn:

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize that that the body shop is part of the dealer, not part of Honda (but thanks for making that important distinction). My concerns are 1) access to the correct parts when making the repair given the scarcity of the car and parts for it, plus 2) the possibility that the dealer may try to dodge a warranty repair later, blaming whoever did the body work adjacent to the failed part. If the dealer did the body work, they can't use it as an excuse to dodge a repair.

Do you really want to see photos? It's really kinda sad to see...

· Registered
5 Posts
Am I the first one to wreck his CR-Z?

Actually, it was just sitting in the parking lot of my parents' senior apartment building in Minnesota when a snow plow back into (and onto) it the night of Wednesday, November 24. I need a new hood, front left fender, and work on the front bumper. At only 3 weeks old and about 500 miles, it was pretty disappointing to brush the snow off of it the next morning to find the damage. Fortunately it was still drivable and the other driver left contact info for insurance.

I do, however, wonder if there's any advantage in having the Honda dealer's body shop do the work, rather than reputable body shops closer to home. None can give an estimate on the job because the parts and car are so new. I'm leaning toward having the dealer do the work in case of any future warranty issues. Any thoughts on this?
I had my first "accident" with my CR-Z after... 1 week (the car had 210km.. :c).
I was driving on the highway and a piece of rubber hit my hood, then broke my windscreen... :C

· Registered
121 Posts
I bought a brand new Toyota Tundra once. The day I got it, I drove it to the stable where I kept my horse. Pat, the stable owner, rode up on his quarter horse mare he had just broken a few days before. He was complimenting me on the car when I opened the door with the key in the ignition. The "bong" warning went off and the young horse whirled around, and kicked out with both legs, hitting my door square in the middle. The impact caved it in, shattered the glass, and broke the "shut" mechanism it closed so hard. It also nearly broke my arm. Not content, she kicked out one more time and left my side view mirror hanging by a single cable. It had 13 miles on it, and I had owned it for less than 30 minutes. What a bag over the head, punch in the face. So I feel your pain.

Also, about two weeks later, that same horse got into the parking area when someone left the gate open. She proceeded to EAT through the convertible top of my 1967 GTO to get to the bag of dog food in my passenger seat. God, I hated that frakin horse.

· Registered
104 Posts
I bought a brand new Toyota Tundra once. The day I got it, I drove it to the stable where I kept my horse. Pat, the stable owner, rode up on his quarter horse mare he had just broken a few days before. He was complimenting me on the car when I opened the door with the key in the ignition. The "bong" warning went off and the young horse whirled around, and kicked out with both legs, hitting my door square in the middle. The impact caved it in, shattered the glass, and broke the "shut" mechanism it closed so hard. It also nearly broke my arm. Not content, she kicked out one more time and left my side view mirror hanging by a single cable. It had 13 miles on it, and I had owned it for less than 30 minutes. What a bag over the head, punch in the face. So I feel your pain.

Also, about two weeks later, that same horse got into the parking area when someone left the gate open. She proceeded to EAT through the convertible top of my 1967 GTO to get to the bag of dog food in my passenger seat. God, I hated that frakin horse.
Your story made my night.

If that were me, I'd feel sick forever. Got any pictures?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.