Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from Lincoln and suddenly my pedal stopped working. I'd push down to accelerate and nothing happened. All it would do is set the rpm indicater over to the red zone.

Going from 70mph down to 55 in a matter of seconds was quite scary. I do seem to recall that someone here had an issue and was told to pull over, turn the car off and turn it back on. It was supposed to reset the system or something like that so I did. I made it home but wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

Did the car somehow slip into neutral? I did smell something like rubber burning when I left Wally world but it didn't last very long. DH said sometimes he smells something like cigarette smoke while driving but hasn't had the accelerator go out on him.

Another thing I thought of was that I had moved from economy to normal not that long before it happened...about 5-10 minutes earlier. Could the switch have done this?

Take it in for a quick look?

·
Registered
75 Posts
suddenly my pedal stopped working. I'd push down to accelerate and nothing happened. All it would do is set the rpm indicater over to the red zone.

Take it in for a quick look?
Well yeah!! You're in the middle of nowhere!

Seriously, I would take it to the dealer NOW and have them check if it has "thrown any codes" which unless there are now warning lights on the dash it probably hasn't. I'm guessing that this is a CVT model which makes a computer glitch a possible excuse for this behavior (slipping into nuetral=bad behavior). If it were related to your changing from econ to normal then mine should be doing it all the time! No that is not normal. Warranty!:rolleyes:

ps: just checked your garage...nice color (same as mine)

·
Registered
674 Posts
> I'd push down to accelerate and nothing happened.
> All it would do is set the rpm indicater over to the red zone.

Nothing happened or the engine would rev until the fuel cut-off? Second - transmission in neutral. First - who knows. Either way - service department is the place to go, but if it's not easily reproducible you might not get a resolution right away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Making a trip to the dealer tomorrow if they can fit me in. Would have taken it in anyway. Yes, it's the CVT. I figure I tripped up a sensor of some kind. Nothing showed up via the dashboard to let me know of a problem either. I just hope the dealer isn't inept as I've never used them.

I'm just grateful that I remembered a previous post of turning on/off the car (post was a totally different problem but wondered if it would work) instead of sitting by the side of the road in the dark wondering what to do. DH was several miles ahead of me and I had both cell phones. Next time we drive in separate cars, I'll remember to toss him mine.

Will let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
112 Posts
doesn't make sense.

the op said it would send the RPM to redline, i would take it to the dealer to get it checked for sure.
Yes, definitely take it to the dealer either way.... But my original thought was: What typically happens when you lose some engine power (possibly the IMA), but continue to press on the accelerator?... Wouldn't you lose some speed (possibly 70 - 55 MPH) and at the same time increase your RPM's (possibly Redlining the engine)?... Again, just a thought...

Good luck to the OP. I hope you are able to find your answer soon. :grin:

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I took my CR-Z out for a test drive, I accidentally pulled both paddle shifters at the same time. I was going to try them out and downshift to see what kind of power was available going up an overpass. Pulling both paddles simultaneously put the car in Low gear and the revs jumped way up due to the speed I was already going. I switched to a different mode (since I didn't know how to get out of low gear yet) and that allowed the transmission to shift back to an appropriate "gear."

Anyway, that was my experience and it sounds similar to what happened to Bethany1, though it might not have been the same reason. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I took my CR-Z out for a test drive, I accidentally pulled both paddle shifters at the same time. I was going to try them out and downshift to see what kind of power was available going up an overpass. Pulling both paddles simultaneously put the car in Low gear and the revs jumped way up due to the speed I was already going. I switched to a different mode (since I didn't know how to get out of low gear yet) and that allowed the transmission to shift back to an appropriate "gear."

Anyway, that was my experience and it sounds similar to what happened to Bethany1, though it might not have been the same reason. :)
Forgive my last response... I guess I should of given it more than just a thought. The more I think about it... it doesn't make sense! :pat:

But LeeMoon did put some great thought into it. A really good response!... I forgot all about the paddle shifters and the low gear setting. ... Okay, if it wasn't this, or accidently putting it into neutral (as Zoltiz stated), then definitely bring it in to get looked at.

And do post back Bethany1. I have the CVT also, and would be interested in knowing what happened. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took her in and they gave me the "don't know but if it happens again, let us know" answer. He figured I'd somehow put it in neutral.

It wasn't until DH and were eating at a local restaurant that we realized what had happened. He started the car, put it in drive and with hardly any pressure he moved the stick into neutral. He didn't have to press the button on top.

We took it back to the dealer and he said all the Honda cars do that. He tried it with a CR-V with an automatic gear and it went into neutral from drive.

Wish I had known that before. Out of curiousity I checked my Santa Fe and you can do the same thing. I think the design of the CR-Z makes it easier brush against the lever and knock it into neutral.

Any practical use for this?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well yeah!! You're in the middle of nowhere!

Seriously, I would take it to the dealer NOW and have them check if it has "thrown any codes" which unless there are now warning lights on the dash it probably hasn't. I'm guessing that this is a CVT model which makes a computer glitch a possible excuse for this behavior (slipping into nuetral=bad behavior). If it were related to your changing from econ to normal then mine should be doing it all the time! No that is not normal. Warranty!:rolleyes:

ps: just checked your garage...nice color (same as mine)
I agree with taking it in. Although, an ECU can throw a passive code, which means you won't have a CEL.

Just because there's no CEL does not mean there aren't any codes to read.

Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Any practical use for this?
...I've also heard how with the 6MT, as long as the brake is applied, one can shift into Neutral at around 18mph or less causing the engine to shut off (like with Auto Stop but at a higher speed). Then once the CR-Z is shifted back into gear, and the brake is released, the engine will start back up again.

...I have yet to try this technique with the CVT, but if it should also work, it would be another great feature to help save on Fuel Consumption! :thumbsup:

And Bethany1, I'm glad to hear your problem occured due to simple driver error and not because of an actual programming issue.... ^Yeah, no need to head down Toyota Lane!

·
Registered
112 Posts
...I've also heard how with the 6MT, as long as the brake is applied, one can shift into Neutral at around 18mph or less causing the engine to shut off (like with Auto Stop but at a higher speed). Then once the CR-Z is shifted back into gear, and the brake is released, the engine will start back up again.
^Well, I tried this with the CVT and it absolutely did not work.... so nix that idea!

·
Registered
674 Posts
^ Works on 6MT, but I usually keep it in gear until complete stop - safer and recharges the battery.

It is fun to creep in traffic with the engine shut off in AutoStop (have to be facing down hill, though). Surefire way to freak out my passengers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 6MT never does the auto shut off unless I am going slower than 10 mph. I have been trying to pin down exactly when it happens. But no where near 18mph. Is it just my car?
You'll only get auto shut off if the engine has warmed up enough, and since you have a 6MT, it has to be in neutral. It will start back up if it's been stopped long enough and you put the clutch in, or if you put it in gear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My current car is an automatic and yes, it can shift into neutral from drive while the car is in motion, I do that sometimes when going down long hills(like the otherside of a mountain pass), though have never done it accidentally by nudging it with my leg. However the overdrive on/off switch is right below the release button for the shifter and my leg has pressed that a few times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Might just be me but I thought all 'automatic' cars could be shifted from D into N without holding the button? I think that's the only movement you can do without pressing the button while the motor is running, bearing in mind you can't move it at all when the motor is off. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
You'll only get auto shut off if the engine has warmed up enough, and since you have a 6MT, it has to be in neutral. It will start back up if it's been stopped long enough and you put the clutch in, or if you put it in gear.
You quoted me and then said the above. But nothing in your response has anything to do with what I said. So I don't really understand why I was quoted.

My post was wondering at what speed others had AUTO SHUT OFF happen. I know how it happens.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.