Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guess I never responded on this, yes removing a shim brought it back in spec and has been working fine since. I am the only owner of this car, so I knew it hadn't been done before. Guess I just got lucky on the amount of mileage I got before the clutch wore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi everyone...

my ac on my 2011 ex just stopped blowing cold air, I took it to the dealer and I was told that the ac compressor failed. naturally they were charging me an arm & a leg to replace it. I bought an ac compressor kit online and had a friend do the install for me. all steps were done, refrigerant vacuumed/recover, installed new compressor, drier but clutch would not engage. replaced ac relay but still won't engage. I haven't checked the mg clutch fuse yet but what else can be wrong with it? video link or pics would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
There is a whole series of postings on this issue. There is apparently a shim or set of shims between the pulley and the clutch. You remove them. The other thing that fails is the solenoid. Many dealers if they find anything wrong they declare the compressor dead and charge a huge amount of money to replace it they will not do these two less expensive options.

The sad news is your compressor was probably fine the gap between the clutch and solenoid was probably too big or the solenoid failed.

Over time the Solenoid weakens so the gap that is workable gets smaller or the solenoid fails.

hi everyone...

my ac on my 2011 ex just stopped blowing cold air, I took it to the dealer and I was told that the ac compressor failed. naturally they were charging me an arm & a leg to replace it. I bought an ac compressor kit online and had a friend do the install for me. all steps were done, refrigerant vacuumed/recover, installed new compressor, drier but clutch would not engage. replaced ac relay but still won't engage. I haven't checked the mg clutch fuse yet but what else can be wrong with it? video link or pics would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi sorry for the delay in response. I took it to a shop and when they checked they said the ac compressor clutch is engaging and now thinks it could be the climate control panel but they are not too certain. they said they could replace the panel but can't guarantee that it will solve the issue. it was $1300 to replace but they said if the problem is something else, the panel may just go bad. they said its like catch 22. anything else you guys may suggest?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Your getting taken for a ride. In other words, don't trust this shop. They don't seem to know what they are doing.

I suggest you download the fsm and do some tests yourself. The climate control has it's own built in self test function and will throw a code at your if something is wrong.

I'll shoot you a pm with a link to the fsm. Also, search the forums. There are tons of threads with info about diagnosing ac problems with pics posted from the fsm.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
@tin2cruz
Do not trust the shop that wants you to throw $1300 at a part that may or may not solve your problem... Especially when They are putting almost a 100% markup on it.

Based on what all you've done so far, it's time to start diagnosing refrigerant pressures and switches. Refrigerant pressure is something that varies with ambient temp, and the service manual will have the chart that shows the correct values. An over-filled system is just as likely to not work as an under-filled system.

The climate control has it's own built in self test function and will throw a code at your if something is wrong.
Shoot, I forgot about this! 10/10 odds the shop didn't know about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
on another note...I installed an after market DRL LED with capacitor and and reverse back up camera. I've had them for awhile now and the shop is saying that may have cause the problem with the electrical. what is your take on this?

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Considering the other answers they gave you on the A/C Run don't walk from that shop. Find a trustworthy shop don't tell them what this other shop said go in and see what they say. Why do you need a capacitor ( a resistor I can understand but a Capacitor?)for DRLs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Considering the other answers they gave you on the A/C Run don't walk from that shop. Find a trustworthy shop don't tell them what this other shop said go in and see what they say. Why do you need a capacitor ( a resistor I can understand but a Capacitor?)for DRLs?
sorry I do meant resistor : )

·
Registered
10 Posts
UPDATE: I took it to another shop which I trusted better than the previous one. he did everything mechanically to check if everything was working and it was. he said that he even "forced" the compressor and the fan and it did blow the cold air. he just didn't have the right tools to check the computer side of it. has anyone ever had the same issue? he advised me that I need to have someone that has HDS check on the computer for proper diagnosis. take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Have you done the self-check in the FSM? If you didn't get the link from @d1giPhux I can post up a YouTube video tonight (tomorrow morning for you, lol)

take it to a different honda dealer. Explain everything, that the first dealer told you your compressor was bad, you've replaced it, confirmed that it works by forcing the field coil, and are still having trouble with the AC not engaging. You need the HDS connected to check the AC controller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you done the self-check in the FSM? If you didn't get the link from @d1giPhux I can post up a YouTube video tonight (tomorrow morning for you, lol)

take it to a different honda dealer. Explain everything, that the first dealer told you your compressor was bad, you've replaced it, confirmed that it works by forcing the field coil, and are still having trouble with the AC not engaging. You need the HDS connected to check the AC controller.
video will be a great help...pls post when you get a chance! thank you :)
yes I'm planning on taking it to a different honda dealership...do you have any idea how much they charge for diagnostics?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
video will be a great help...pls post when you get a chance! thank you :)
yes I'm planning on taking it to a different honda dealership...do you have any idea how much they charge for diagnostics?
My bad, had some stuff come up this evening and didn't get to it. Really can't speak to what a UK dealer will charge, i paid $85 at an independent shop here in the U.S..

81 - 100 of 140 Posts