Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC has just stopped working. It only blows warm air no matter what. Nice when the sun heats as h*ll! We have gone through the engine bay and checked everything we can think of, but the last problems we suspect has to be checked out by the dealer. Thnk god for warranty.

I do really not rely 100% on the dealership. There have been a couple of times i've asked them some questions regarding other problems, and got some answers which made me wonder if they're just hiring any highschool dropout to work at the garage over here!

So my question to you are: Has someone in here had any trouble with the AC not functioning as it should?

·
Registered
475 Posts
A couple of things to look for before going to the dealer.

Is fuse #10 (7. 5amp) ok?
Is fuse #47 (30 amp) ok?

Is the belt on? That's about your only belt driven accessory, other than the water pump.

Does the condenser fan come on when you select air conditioning? Indicates if it is an electrical problem

Does the compressor clutch engage when you select air conditioning? Indicates if it is a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've only heard this through people, but aren't Honda's known for A/C problems? I wouldn't know, this is my first Honda.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yea check to see if the condensor fan kicks on first and check the wire at the compressor to make sure its still connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey op
did you take it to dealer? or found out what was wrong with it and what you did to fix it?
mine just went out one day and i havent gotten it checked out yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
AC problem

AC cutting off. Mine blows cold while driving at highway speeds. If you get stuck n traffic for long periods of time or park with the systems running, the AC cuts off for the rest of the day.

Next day the AC works fine again.

I'm thinking pressure switch but since it works fine at normal speeds not really convinced.

Any ideas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Long shot, but try putting the heating on auto and turning the temperature down. :)

The Zed air conditioning is the Zed's Achiles heel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is there a rock lodged into the A/C condenser fins? About 20 years ago, an 18-wheeler flung a small shower of rocks into the bumper of my old 92 Accord and one of those rocks got embedded in the condenser and pierced it. Not fun when driving into Las Vegas in 112 degree heat.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I know I'm reviving an old thread here.. but did you ever find any solution to this?

My CRZ is doing the same thing. AC only works sometimes.. Seems to mostly work once the car has been sitting overnight and not heated up at all.

Are the relays suspect in these cars?

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
My Civic would mysteriously lose refrigerant. I just got a can of it from the auto part store. When the AC would stop working I'd add refrigerant until it kicked back on. Sometimes it would be ok for a year, sometimes a month, sometimes a week. Nobody knew where the problem was.

Don't do that though. You're under warranty. I'm just sharing my Honda AC weirdness story and stating that low refrigerant will cause the system in the Civic to not function at all.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not under warantee. My car is a 2011 and has 150k miles now. :p If there IS a warranty.. i dont know about it. Haha.

I picked up a new relay.. gonna try that first. Then I will refill the AC myself. If that doesn't work.. which it should, I dunno what to do.

When the AC DOES work, it comes out cold. But only seems to work half the time, if not less.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Okay.. so got my car diagnosed today at the honda dealership. They said the AC compressor clutch is out of spec. This means that the space between the rotor pulley and armature plate is too large.

So, looks like I can either remove some shims and get the rotor pulley and armature plate back withing spec, or replace the entire clutch assembly and the the coil.. which is what honda would have done (im sure they want the easy way out).

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm mostly wondering if because the spacing is just out of spec, if I can remove one of the spacers and be good. Because when it DOES engage, it seems to work great. I just think that the space between the rotor pulley and armature plate has grown too large?

Any help!?!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How did it get out of spec? Was there previous damage or part replacement?

·
Registered
203 Posts
i've hear someone saying to me recently: "when i stand still, the airco is working less then when i'm driving fast. it doesnt do it all the time though".
answer: when he drove in "econ mode", the eco mode takes care o f the airco to provide the most eficiency. so when you are standing still, it will blow less to safe power. if you dont want it to happen, put it in an other mode. in traffic jam on a hot day it could save you hehe.

most of you probably know this, since 'everyone" reads the hondabook provided with the car :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Its not due to the econ mode stuff.. i know that much. I don't really drive the car in econ mode, and I also have the factory service manual which I used to diagnose the issues. I don't leave the car on 'auto' temp either. BTW: My car didn't come with a user manual, i bought it used. So sorry for that. I actually bought one, and read it.. but yeah, is not that. Trust me, I'm not THAT stupid.

The problem is.. the space between the compressor clutch, and armature plate is too large and out of spec. Meaning, when the plate is given electrical signal, and the magnet is fired up.. its too far away to pull the plate in and start the compressor. Basically, its just out of spec.

I'm not sure HOW it got out of spec, but the car does have 149k on it now.. so, it could just be from wear and tear.

I'm just wondering if I need to buy a 'ac clutch kit' as they call it and replace everything, or if I could just take out one of the shims and then replace the stuff and hope it works? It seems like I could do that.

Here are the pages in the service manual speaking of it:

Edit 2:

Found a perfect thread describing my EXACT symptoms and how to fix it:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=89473

Apparently you CAN just re-shim the plate and not even bother buying a new coil, compressor clutch armature, etc. AWESOME! I'm sure some of you in the future will hit this same issue with your cars, as honda's AC system components seem to be low quality. But, there is hope!!

When I get to this repair I will try and make a video explaining what I am doing, and to give a little better idea on how to re-shim your compressor clutch. Hopefully it works, and I feel it will.

My car does the exact same thing as the post listed above. It will work for about 5 minutes, then when I get on the highway, or drive fast it will disengage. This is because the magnetic pull of the coil is not strong enough to bridge the larger than usual gap between the compressor and the clutch plate.

Some videos for those who are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxbkH_kXQCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v21YhpkheqA

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT: You MUST break the new clutch plate in properly. This is what I read here:

Examining Air Conditioning Clutch Failures in the Field

It seems like you burn it in properly by turning the AC system ON and OFF every 6 seconds for at LEAST 50 times.

I'm guessing this is because the clutch will wear like a vehicles transmission clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKMTmpm12g

Just figured i would mention that since apparently its VERY important, and lots of people overlook it.

BURN YOUR new clutch plate in properly!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Its all good!! :)

I wonder if anyone on this forum has even run into this problem before? Does anyone even have nearly as many miles as me?? (150k?)

So, i found out that the clutch plate itself is the part that wears? I need to take a better look at mine and figure out if I need the entire clutch kit, or if its possible to just shim the thing and be done with it. I'm pretty sure you CAN just shim, but I need to test my coil and such and make sure everything else is working proper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No look on my end, so far it's looking like the compressor. Fans turn on, condenser is not blocked or clogged, the compressor clutch is not engaging. I unplugged the wiring to the clutch and the fans turn off, I plug it back in and they work. Looks like power is good just clutch will not close.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts