Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ac works great for about 20 minutes then the air coming through the vents slows to a crawl but the fan is still blowing hard. Almost like there is something blocking. Why after 20 minutes though? I’ve tried the auto and manual settings. Nothing helps. I removed the cabin filter thinking it was clogged but that didn’t help.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If your AC is intermitent (it is.. this is a common problem on this car), you have too large of a gap between the ac clutch armature plate, and the pulley.

You need to pull the front pulley off, remove the shim, put pulley back on. I reccomend doing this with a 12v 1/4" impact gun as it will do 20 ft/lbs to put the pulley back on, and will pull the bolt easy.

Otherwise, you will need ac pulley holder tool from autozone (rent for free):

See this thread for more details on fixing this AC problem:

Check out my posts on there. Shows how to remove and do this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. The ac does blow cold air the entire time. It’s just that it’s not blowing hard enough.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yeah, do a bit more testing to see when it decides not to blow hard.

Have you tested your under hood 12v battery? I noticed when I had a dying one.. it did stuff like this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For right hand drive z's the air seems to work significantly better for the passenger seat too btw.

Whenever I could just moderately feel it driving and the passengers very often have to close the vents because its too strong and or cold for them

Although, im pretty young'n'chonky and theyre uusually older or leaner, so that plays a factor i suppose

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You need to do some diagnosing.

Check out factory service manual sections:

21-1 (page 1755)
21-5 (page 1759)

You can also run a climate control test (start here first):

21-10 (page 1764)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And thats with no eco mode, manual fan speeds and not during autostop? Those three conditions need to be met for the ac to output high cfm continuously
While driving in auto or manual. When it’s in auto mode the fan slows to about three bars on the dial. In manual I increase it all the way and still it doesn’t blow hard.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, do a bit more testing to see when it decides not to blow hard.

Have you tested your under hood 12v battery? I noticed when I had a dying one.. it did stuff like this.
I thought about that but The hood won’t open. Ugh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever since I bought my 2011 CRZ 1500 Miles used, I had an AC problem, only when outside temperatures reach 84+ degrees. Having brought it up with the dealership, under the right 84+ conditions, they of course suggested to have the compressor kit be replaced, I‘d be paying $1000. Not sure if that is a wise investment. How many miles am I planning to use the car in again 84+ Anyone any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
As stated many times on this forum many dealers will replace the compressor but issue will sometimes still exist. Most have just removed the AC clutch shims. others recently have replaced the low pressure switch and yet others a relay. There have been a few compressor replacements but before going that route have the clutch shims removed and see if that helps. Over time the c=solenoid weakns which makes the clutch not engage properly. It is a matter of spacing. With auto stop the ac is not running when engine is off. To disable the Auto stop set the AC to low then you will get more cooling. I had similar issues with AC not working well when I lived in TX and using this method I was more comfortable.

Ever since I bought my 2011 CRZ 1500 Miles used, I had an AC problem, only when outside temperatures reach 84+ degrees. Having brought it up with the dealership, under the right 84+ conditions, they of course suggested to have the compressor kit be replaced, I‘d be paying $1000. Not sure if that is a wise investment. How many miles am I planning to use the car in again 84+ Anyone any thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts