Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have strange warning lights with my 2011 CRZ. The ABS/VSA lights reset (turns off) from the day before. After around 5 to10 miles of driving the lights will come back on and stay on for the duration of my trip. I park the car over night the next day the lights still on and then turn off by themselves shortly after the engine turns on. After around 5 to 10 miles of driving the lights will come back on and stay on for the duration of my trip. I used the scan tool from Autozone and detected no problem. Anyone has the similar problem? I would like to know how to fix this problem

· Registered
533 Posts
The AutoZone scanner is only an OBDII reader for powertrain codes and it can't read data from the other modules. You need to scan the car with a Honda HDS or equivalent professional scanner like a SnapOn Modus to see data and codes from those systems.
Also check the 12V underhood battery. When they fail, which is common, you can get all sorts of codes and lights.

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
242 Posts
I have strange warning lights with my 2011 CRZ. The ABS/VSA lights reset (turns off) from the day before. After around 5 to10 miles of driving the lights will come back on and stay on for the duration of my trip. I park the car over night the next day the lights still on and then turn off by themselves shortly after the engine turns on. After around 5 to 10 miles of driving the lights will come back on and stay on for the duration of my trip. I used the scan tool from Autozone and detected no problem. Anyone has the similar problem? I would like to know how to fix this problem
Need a scanner capable of more than just generic OBD2.
A cheap one I use is the Autel bluetooth one, but it's far cheaper to pay a mechanic to scan it with an HDS or other pro level scanner.

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
242 Posts
I got this one: Autel MaxiAP AP200
You get one brand extended OBDII scanning for free (for life). Have to install the app, visit the store, "buy" the Honda one for $0, then install the Honda-specific Autel app.

Or you can (for around the same price i think) get an HDS clone and some software for a laptop and use that.
I don't know the specifics on the HDS, however.

· Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,183 Posts
A cheap thing to try before buying an Autel thingy: go have your 12V tested at the Autozone to see if it’s still capable of operating at a healthy level.
Weird warnings, especially ABS/VSA, are extremely common for CRZs owners to experience when the 12V is dying.

· Registered
189 Posts
When I brought mine in to have windows tinted they killed the underhood battery and jumped it. When I went to leave all those warning were on and I couldnt release the e brake (2016 electric ebrake). After it ran for about 5 min it all cleared on its own.

How old is your 12v underhood battery?

· Premium Member
9,031 Posts
Usually things like this as stated is the under hood battery. If more than 3 years old just replace it or any auto parts place will load test for free. Just make sure car not running when being tested.

Some have had to replace the abs module which is a more expensive fix but being related to brakes it is important to get the codes and have it properly diagnosed after battery ruled out and lights are still on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts