Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no idea the Cr-Z existed until a week ago when I happened to see a local dealer selling a high mile 2011 model for £3k.
I was intrigued and had been on the lookout for something 'different' - small, nimble and economical to replace an aging Citroen C5 2.7 diesel (chipped from 204 to 260bhp quick but 120% not a 'drivers' car)).

I almost learned the hard way about the introduction of the facelift model (I'll refer to it as the mk2) from several dealers, including the Lexus main dealer in Leeds. They appear not to know that being a 2013 registered car does not guarantee it is the later model and so are selling the mk1 for mk2 prices. (the front and rear splitters and S+ button being the giveaways)

I am looking at a 2013 GT spec facelift model this weekend and the seller mentions it has sports suspension.
Was this a Honda option or has a previous owner changed the springs?
Has anyone driven a car with lowering springs fitted?
Which make is recommended - Eibach get most mentions?
I'm keen to avoid harsh suspension as the roads in my area are badly pock marked, and also have heard issues with the dampers if the car is lowered.

Honda's IMA idea is great yet seems other manaufacturers have not yet used it to make hybrid hot hatches (maybe they patented it)

Can't wait to test drive the car on monday.
Ian

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
Honda offers the HPD suspension upgrade, here in the USA, so maybe you have that, or the Mugen kit underneath. The only other suspension upgrade I'd recommend, is from Spoon. Those three choices offer the best ride/handling, but are expensive--so, you get what you pay for.
Without knowing what "sport suspension" is underneath the car you're looking at, chances are, it's something cheap and not worth swapping out with OEM and selling the "sport" suspension separately to recoup the cost of the suspension when selling the car.
Look for Showa shocks underneath, that means you've got something good under there. Also, you can do a general color match, to determine the suspension by looking at the springs. In general:
Black = OEM
Gold = Mugen
Red = HPD
Blue = Spoon

Take some pics and post them up, after you've seen the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll be quizzing the seller and will take a look at the springs and report back on monday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I could get out the tape measure and check the ground to wheel arch distance !

This was my previous coupe - a 3.2L V6 all wheel drive 260bhp Alfa Brera. Fantastic engine and exhaust sounds, brilliant all wheel drive handling on damp & wet roads, but expensive to run and thirsty (20-24mpg). I miss it very much but couldn't afford to run it. (similar GM engine built by Holden found in many US cars.)
The CR-Z may not be as quick but should be as much fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I picked up my CRZ it had Swift lowering springs on them. They were very stiff and not very forgiving over bumps,pot holes, etc, they did made the car feel very stable in the corners though. Since then i have now changed them to Tein Basis Coilovers which for UK roads I feel are a good compromise.
On a side note: If you can find a UK 2013+ 'Sport' model and not a 'GT' you will be able to save yourself around £100 a year on road tax.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that.

There are very few if any 2013 mk2 models for sale at the moment, though plenty of 2013 mk1 cars. (I guess Honda had lots of these in stock at the time of the facelift model's release).
The GT I am viewing at the weekend does seem to be a GT - has leather and a sunroof, - not sure what else it should have.

Even £120 pa road tax is better than the £275 I'm paying for the C5 and the £600 I'd be paying for the Brera!

Are these the Teins?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, that's them. I didn't bother going for the next ones up as based on the reviews I had read I felt they were right for what i wanted to get out of them.
As for the Mk2's they are very rare in the UK. I think the GT's should have 17" alloys on them too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you look at new registrations on the how many left web site there were less than 200 GT models sold in the UK from 2013 to the end (2015?). When you remove late registered 2012 model cars from that they are very limited indeed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, most 2013 models on sale are the old model, though I am getting the impression that some dealers are obfuscating this in the hope of fooling a potential buyer. (eg Lexus Leeds wanting £8990 for a 2013 pre facelift model and the salesman I spoke to pleading ignorance. I explained the difference but as expected, the price was not adjusted. Caveat emptor as they say.
I only found three facelift models for sale and all had been sold.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might need to wait a while but sometime you do get lucky and the spec you want will turn up.

I love the look of the 2013+ model in the rare gold/yellow metallic when I see images but I actually wanted the earlier model myself for the £20 tax and parts prices because I wanted something long term for commuting and it was to be a second car. I also preferred the look of the optional 17" Electra wheels and the Dynamic pack cosmetics especially the carbon rear defuser. For a while all the cars for sale had none of these extras and there was nothing local to even just get a test drive in one and see if I even liked the car. A few weeks later there was a coming soon ad at a local Honda dealer for a CR-Z with no photos or details of spec and when I popped across there it was already sold.

The next day I got a phone call to say the buyer's finance hadn't gone through so did I want to go and test drive it? When I got there it was a GT model with all the extras I wanted and in white which was my preferred colour - needless to say I enjoyed the test drive and I'm now a happy owner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You were lucky. I was hoping to hear likewise from the dealers who'd just sold their 2013> cars. There are some good spec and colour mk1 models about and they are a few k cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Off topic question for you folks in the UK. How hard is it to move myself and The Speed Bump to the UK? A friend I had from your area said if I moved there I could not work for many Months to years. Is that true?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The rules for legal migration are changing as they just passed a new bill in parliament for 2021 but you can find eligibility on the gov.uk site here:

and for vehicles here:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just had a look and there is a red and a metallic yellow 2013+ on gumtree at the moment.
Looking at the red one in Scotland on monday as I am heading that way this weekend. Fingers crossed.
The metallic mustard one, also in Scotland, is outside my budget sadly but does look stunning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought it and should be delivered on Friday. My two initial concerns were body and paintwork condition - very good, and ride quality - firm but not harsh.

Hopefully my 12year old Citroen C5 2.7v6 diesel will be sold this evening. I'll miss its 250bhp and big diesel turbo torque and comfy ride, but I won't miss it's size, wooly handling, dead and overly assisted steering, thirst, running costs, auto gearbox and turbo lag.
So its the exact opposite of the Cr-Z!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
254 Posts
Bought it and should be delivered on Friday. My two initial concerns were body and paintwork condition - very good, and ride quality - firm but not harsh.
That's exactly what I thought, especially since my Civic does have a harsher ride.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts