Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh, fine. I've given up on not wanting to make mods on this car. There's just too much fun to be had, and I really like this car.

Main goals: See road clearly, be seen clearly, get good gas mileage.
Secondary goals: have fun, have fun car.

My canvas: 2011 CR-Z EX Milano Red 6MT

Mods completed:
  • Third brake light flasher with G-force monitoring.
  • HKS silent Hi-Power Axle-back
  • RSX-S front brakes
  • Civic Si rear brakes
  • iJDM toy rear reflectors
  • 15" LED light bar
  • Morimoto LED fog lights.
  • 17" wheels with Potenza RE71R
  • Full bright white LED interior lights
  • Buddy-club short-shifter with Mugen (authentic?) CF knob
  • Removed "CR-Z" and "HYBRID" badges
  • 25mm front/ 20mm rear spacers
  • TSX homelink
  • Honda access door visors
  • canada washer tank that holds a whole gallon
  • Innovative mounts
  • Koyorad all-aluminum radiator.
  • Spoon sway bar
  • Beatrush pillowball mounts
  • Megan racing lowering springs
  • Sprintex kit with Hondata Flashpro
Mods pending:
  • Plug-&-Play (ish) trailer wiring harness. It's P&P except for the line they want me to run straight off the battery, so I'm waiting to find a better option for the hot feed. Probably tap an unused fuse.
  • some lightly damaged CF parts I got from Phu
  • Dyno Tune for sprintex
  • Zf2 mirrors for wider field of view.
Planned mods:
  • Tint at some point.
  • Item9's paddle-shifter regen switch mod.
  • Hidden Hitch...trying to design one, will make separate thread if/when that happens. Will be for bike rack and cargo rack only.
  • LED lights in same color all across with HID (will head to diode dynamics for this when the time comes)
  • LED lights everywhere. No halogens.
  • Both Windows 1-touch up and down
  • Mugen (probably knockoff) kit
  • Black roof/mirrors/hatch
Wish List:
  • See Item9's build thread... Especially: CR-V Nav w/backup camera;
  • 13+ LED DRLs
  • 16 bumpers/skirts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm very interested in Both Windows 1-touch up and down. passenger side annoys me to no end.... especially for the last few months while my right arm has been in a cast.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very interested in Both Windows 1-touch up and down. passenger side annoys me to no end.... especially for the last few months while my right arm has been in a cast.
yea, this is probably going to be a challenging mod. I know I'll probably need new door switches and the auto module, but beyond that, I'm not sure yet where to start.

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
You have an EX don't you already have HID headlights? Mine does. Match new lights to existing to save money.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have an EX don't you already have HID headlights? Mine does. Match new lights to existing to save money.
The car has 67K miles on it and climbing, so those HID bulbs probably need replacing soon-ish anyway, especially now that winter is coming and dark morning commutes are going to be a thing. My thinking was to wait until I lose an HID bulb, then order all forward lighting in the same color from the same vendor.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, this is probably going to be a challenging mod. I know I'll probably need new door switches and the auto module, but beyond that, I'm not sure yet where to start.
have you looked at the passenger auto up/down thread in the DIY section?
I did. For more than an hour.
This is almost exactly what I spent more than an hour trying to find. Thank you Spicciani. I bow to your superior searching abilities. I do think I'll still try to take this further, just for a more complete conversion... I may be crazy though.

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
The car has 67K miles on it and climbing, so those HID bulbs probably need replacing soon-ish anyway, especially now that winter is coming and dark morning commutes are going to be a thing. My thinking was to wait until I lose an HID bulb, then order all forward lighting in the same color from the same vendor.
I believe HIDs don't fade they either work or don't but I may wrong.:smile2: Your plan makes sense and is the same I have but in my case it will be all non led bulbs on the whole outside of the car.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe HIDs don't fade they either work or don't but I may wrong.:smile2: Your plan makes sense and is the same I have but in my case it will be all non led bulbs on the whole outside of the car.:grin2:
I don't think they fade either... I think I'm going to have one burn out soon was my point...

also, you're right. all bulbs LED everywhere. I'll revise my plans, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
I don't think they fade either... I think I'm going to have one burn out soon was my point...

also, you're right. all bulbs LED everywhere. I'll revise my plans, lol.
Make sure the wiring is done properly not twisted not vampire taps! Proper car wiring and make sure the load resistors are mounted to a good location that is metal. See Litz's car wiring thread! I am thinking weather pack connectors on both sides of the load resistors so if I have to return to stock I can unplug the resistors and plug the two sides of the wires back together.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
Most of the ones I've seen have built in load resistors for a Plug&Play install.
Diode Dynamics do not( you have to add them to the order) and I have been looking for ones that do for the CR-Z and have not found any:frown2:. Let me know what you find. I am waiting till my life situation settles some and the car is paid off.

Load resistors generate heat which is why most use external ones so you can heat sink them to metal of the car and they generally are big with fins to cool them.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol... 3 years later, all I've gotten done has been LED interior, reverse, and Licence plate lights.

Also got a rear sway bar along the way, and @shawnfrontier 's old Kosei wheels with potenza RE71r tires.

I've got a bunch of stuff waiting in a big box though...

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Lol... 3 years later, all I've gotten done has been LED interior, reverse, and Licence plate lights.

Also got a rear sway bar along the way.

I've got a bunch of stuff waiting in a big box though...
Ohhh, you've got a build thread? Forgot about mine too, and haven't added much to it lately. Did you find a source to fix the wheels?....Hey, they haven't been posted here yet, 'cmon man. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohhh, you've got a build thread? Forgot about mine too, and haven't added much to it lately. Did you find a source to fix the wheels?....Hey, they haven't been posted here yet, 'cmon man. :smile2:
lol yea, I suppose I do. The rear wheel is just cosmetic damage, so I think I"m just gonna live with it. The Front is at the tire shop to see if it's just out of balance or needs repaired. There's a wheel repair shop in Indy (home of the 500 mile race and the daily-drive rally cross course that is the pothole-riddled streets)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
quick update in the "bought but not installed" category: buddy club short shifter and mugen-knockoff carbon shift knob. Gone will be the days of needing an oven mitt when I drive in the summer and winter.

Also update, I had to get both wheels re-rounded and one of them had a crack to weld closed.

installed this bluetooth dongle for audio... I got a rock stuck in my phone's headphone jack, and this was cheaper than a new phone. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013QJ0W8Q/

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LED Light bar is mounted, but not wired.
Morimoto LED fog lights replace the one that caught a rock.
Finally installed my OEM splash guards with the brackets and bumper holes and all.

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
Why install something and not wire it? :rolleyes:Glad you got some work done parts on car Beat parts on shelf :)
Finally installed my OEM splash guards with the brackets and bumper holes and all.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Nice! Hoping to get the lightbar wired in time for the Dragon, eh?
...also, Shamar gave me some, erm..., Toyota parts for you. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts