Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my CR-Z EX 6MT on Saturday and and more than impressed with the MPG numbers so far. When in normal or eco mode and shifting when it wants you to, I can get close to 50 MPG. I even seemed to get better mileage in the city than highway. So much for the EPA. I get sick of reading the reviews saying this thing is capable of such poor mileage. I am more than pleased!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to see these numbers! I'm also sick of the reviews. But thats alright, it will be easier to get the exact one I want then. What RPM is the car telling you to shift in?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to see these numbers! I'm also sick of the reviews. But thats alright, it will be easier to get the exact one I want then. What RPM is the car telling you to shift in?
I'll take note of it when I go home today. I do know that it will tell you to shift to 6th gear around 30 mph.

·
Registered
69 Posts
can you upload some pictures of it please... i don't care if it's stock... IT'S BLUE!! haha
My Blue was the first one that the dealer got in that color (first time they saw it)

They told me they got more questions about the car the day the blue one was sitting on the lot then any day they had white/gray/black ones on the lot.

So much in fact that they said they are going to try and get a bunch of blue ones next month.

and as far as Milage goes...if you see my thread about the milage I'm getting...I'm jealous. What mode were you driving in? Did you do anything special to break it in?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Blue was the first one that the dealer got in that color (first time they saw it)

They told me they got more questions about the car the day the blue one was sitting on the lot then any day they had white/gray/black ones on the lot.

So much in fact that they said they are going to try and get a bunch of blue ones next month.

and as far as Milage goes...if you see my thread about the mileage I'm getting...I'm jealous. What mode were you driving in? Did you do anything special to break it in?
No, not really. I have around 300 miles on the car so far. Seriously, that comes from gentle acceleration and shifting when the indicator tells you. Also, from driving my Civic Hybrid I learned how sensitive the accelerator pedal is. You can gently change pressure to affect rpm's, speed, and the real-time fuel efficiency gauge. I suggest keeping your eyes on that a lot to find the correct shift points based on speed. You also cannot drive too slowly in a higher gear. Perhaps I am just used to Honda Hybrids. They definitely take more finesse than Prius, but great fuel efficiency can definitely be achieved.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, not really. I have around 300 miles on the car so far. Seriously, that comes from gentle acceleration and shifting when the indicator tells you. Also, from driving my Civic Hybrid I learned how sensitive the accelerator pedal is. You can gently change pressure to affect rpm's, speed, and the real-time fuel efficiency gauge. I suggest keeping your eyes on that a lot to find the correct shift points based on speed. You also cannot drive too slowly in a higher gear. Perhaps I am just used to Honda Hybrids. They definitely take more finesse than Prius, but great fuel efficiency can definitely be achieved.
Oh, and my 51 mpg this morning was 95% ECO mode, with a switch to normal when entering the freeway.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh, and my 51 mpg this morning was 95% ECO mode, with a switch to normal when entering the freeway.
I am jealous of that MPG. :rolleyes:

I will get there once my car engine is broken in. Hopefully. :popcorn: Heck!!! Currently having too much fun.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think you have hit on something that most of the non hypermilers including myself, haven't learned yet. And that is the whole point of Eco mode is to give you more control over a light throttle.

The guys over at the hypermiler message board commented about this aspect of the CRZ Eco mode. But I guess it takes some experience, patience and skill to learn how to control a very gentle throttle and the shift lights are really set up to teach this, skill.

The dangerous thing is encouraging people to watch their FE gauge. I did this for a couple months in my fit in an effort to get the best FE, but I noticed that I wasn't watching the road and other drivers enough. I went back to normal driving and while it cost me a few MPGs, but I think will save me money on my insurance in the long run.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you have hit on something that most of the non hypermilers including myself, haven't learned yet. And that is the whole point of Eco mode is to give you more control over a light throttle.

The guys over at the hypermiler message board commented about this aspect of the CRZ Eco mode. But I guess it takes some experience, patience and skill to learn how to control a very gentle throttle and the shift lights are really set up to teach this, skill.

The dangerous thing is encouraging people to watch their FE gauge. I did this for a couple months in my fit in an effort to get the best FE, but I noticed that I wasn't watching the road and other drivers enough. I went back to normal driving and while it cost me a few MPGs, but I think will save me money on my insurance in the long run.
I understand the concern about the RFE gauge. You can't keep your eyes on it constantly. Over time it becomes sort of second nature and as you learn how the car responds to your throttle input you can almost know where the gauge is without looking a lot of the time too. You're right, it just takes patience and learning about how the car responds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
376 Posts
Man I am jealous of the front grille. California laws required front plate and my dealer put 3 holes on that grill to mount the license plate holder. 1 ugly clearly visible from all angles and the other 2 were drilled up so not too visible.

How do I know? I'd tried removing the plate holder but could not get over the holes. Oh well, have to have it seal one day. :giggle:

·
Registered
232 Posts
...my dealer put 3 holes on that grill to mount the license plate holder. 1 ugly clearly visible from all angles and the other 2 were drilled up so not too visible.
That sucks. I too am in California and my car came with the front plate affixed. However, my dealer had only installed the lower two, hidden screws. I can see in the mounting bracket where a third could be added in the middle. Thankfully, my dealer didn't see it fit to drill this hole.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Man I am jealous of the front grille. California laws required front plate and my dealer put 3 holes on that grill to mount the license plate holder. 1 ugly clearly visible from all angles and the other 2 were drilled up so not too visible.

How do I know? I'd tried removing the plate holder but could not get over the holes. Oh well, have to have it seal one day. :giggle:
Yeah, I bought my car in Missouri (requires front plate) though I live in Kansas. Thankfully they only had the two mounting points and didn't drill into the grill for the third. I would've been furious.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.