Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Indicate your AVERAGE fuel economy for your 6MT equipped CRZ

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't know how you guys are getting these kind of numbers. My car hasn't hit 500 miles yet. Bought it last Tuesday brand new. So far on one tank of gas, I'm averaging about 38 mpg and I've been driving very conservatively. As a matter of fact my Eco score is always 5 full leaves. Maybe my car will get better mpg as it breaks in?? I read the manual and am driving conservatively for the first 600 miles. I drive a lot of interstate too. Ill update when I've ran through a few tanks of gas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know how you guys are getting these kind of numbers.
Totally agree. I'm at about 3500 miles, still an average of 31 (understandably). If I drive in eco mode and really slow all the time I'd imagine I'd be around 37 or 38.

To get to the 50s I doubt ever accelerating past 1/10th max rpms, which is essentially always in the slow lane, causing traffic and making the driving experience, well... Slow; which defeats the entire sport aspect of the car.

If all I wanted was good MPG I'd get a Prius, not a CR-Z. Seriously put it in sport mode once in a while. There's also an S+ button. Press that and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I know it's still not accurate, but i filled the tank, and been driving in ECO, with the eco assist HUD thing that measures accel and breaking to help me out.

I'm estimating so far 840Km with 35L deposit....which will give me about 4.16L/100KM which would be kind of SICK. :thumbsup: if i manage....i'll let you know

I have been getting an average of 41Km per fuel bar, which are 20 total

·
Registered
58 Posts
Best is 60.7

My average for 8 tanks on car so far is 50.2 MPG with a high tank of 60.7 MPG. Would be better but when going on trips with wife in car, that is 300+ lbs of extra cargo, and I weigh 230. Only modification was Air pressure set to 44 psi. Driving in Joshua Tree National Park, Coachella Valley desert areas with heat and extreme low humidity at less than 10%, makes for better MPG. Plus most of the isolated roads I travel on out there have a speed limit between 25 and 50 MPH with no stops or lights for like 60 miles. Some interesting MPG reading photos below:

The first reading 18.9 was what was on the car before I bought it new.[comment][/comment]

·
Registered
64 Posts
i get 35.5 mpg most of the time. only have 450 miles on the car and am in sport mode most of the time. i shift at 2500 rpm unless im getting on the highway.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Still breaking it in with about 350 miles on it (two partial tanks), getting 37+ mostly highway ("highway" with a bunch of lights on it) and some fast back roads, about 100+ miles a day.

Once it's broken in I will vote in the poll. Usually throw it in sport mode for the stoplights and accelerating onto the highway then eco for cruising and the backroads (using S+ for hill climbing).

·
Registered
449 Posts
My first tank was 39.9 second was 41.9 third was 38.7....yes not a lot of info to go on but that was nearly 1200 miles, plenty of 10 mile interstate commutes @70mph. I havent used sport much and am usually disappointed anyway because i forget to turn off traction control.
I use ECO mode for cruising and Normal for stoplights.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most of my driving is at ~80mph on the interstate with some bumper to bumper traffic thrown into the mix. I usually keep the car in normal mode and drive it like a normal car (no hypermiling). All things considered I'm pretty pleased with the 36-37mpg average.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm 5200 miles in now (had 5500mi in rentals) the average now is just barely 39MPG.

My stock size Bridgestone Potenza 760's are killing about 3mpg from what I was getting previously and now I only dream of those days when I could get 43mpg out of a tank.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So far I have only ran one tank of gas through my 2011 6 speed. It does have 120k miles on it and it seems to me that the rear brake on the drivers side may be dragging a little. Gonna have to check the emergency brake tension and see if that could be affecting the "drag". I am going to give it a few more tanks before I vote in the poll.

MPG in sig.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I get a avg of 41.0-42.0 MPG but if I dont put it to the floor I get More than: 42.0 MPG but I choose the latter due to it being my true avg

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
With my CVT I was averaging 40+ mpg, spring thru fall, nice weather, without even trying, best tank was apx 43mpg. With the 6-Speed, I have had to adjust my driving habits more than a bit to just hit 40mpg for a tankful. Typically around 38+. I do believe that the 215/50-16 tires I'm running, while nice riding, great handling and good looking, are not conducive to good fuel economy. Still, considering how much I enjoy the drive, I'm still sitting at or above the EPA numbers so I'm not disappointed with what I get.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm usually around 28-30. Can't seem to get much higher unless I take a super long trip on highway.

I'm running 205/55/16 tires. Even with 185/65/15 snows it was about the same. 6MT with around 180k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I watch what I call lifetime average: 32+---34+

Reset twice in 101,000 mi

2012 mt w/navi. Never use eco mode....

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just got 45 MPG in 2 days of putting around Los Angeles for the holiday. Total mileage was 130 miles. Went from near Pasadena to Palos Verdes, across the peninsula to Hermosa beach. Next day up to Malibu and then up the canyon and home.

Most of the time I was in ECON, only pissed off about 10 people behind me the whole time. Went to Sport up through the canyon. All in all I was suprised how easy it was to maintain the high mileage. The car carried 2 persons and luggage.

Not a lot of driving over two days but got me from beach to beach. K

WTF? I am doing something wrong then. My MPG is actually coming in around 28 in Los Angeles. I didn't pay much attention to the actual MPG when I went to SF and back, though it would have been good to have a comparison between open highway MPG and me stuck in traffic all the time going less than 10 miles. It made me really try to focus on getting off the clutch while sitting at a stop, which is how I would drive my Civic without an auto stop function, but I've trained myself to change my shifting habits to much lower rpms and watching the stupid green ring to let me know when it wants to shift, and still haven't seen a steady 30mpg yet. Does it matter when you fill up? should I be tracking it manually instead of trusting the estimated fuel economy on the dash? Am I just driving ALL WRONG or what? I feel like the ghost of my civic is possessing my CRZ as revenge for leaving her in the tow yard lot without a transmission.... I couldn't afford to give her a decent burial.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
WTF? I am doing something wrong then. My MPG is actually coming in around 28 in Los Angeles. I didn't pay much attention to the actual MPG when I went to SF and back, though it would have been good to have a comparison between open highway MPG and me stuck in traffic all the time going less than 10 miles. It made me really try to focus on getting off the clutch while sitting at a stop, which is how I would drive my Civic without an auto stop function, but I've trained myself to change my shifting habits to much lower rpms and watching the stupid green ring to let me know when it wants to shift, and still haven't seen a steady 30mpg yet. Does it matter when you fill up? should I be tracking it manually instead of trusting the estimated fuel economy on the dash? Am I just driving ALL WRONG or what?
Everybody's mileage varies, and by a pretty wide margin, just read through this thread and you'll see all sorts of evidence. That being said, If you don't drive far enough for the engine to reach optimum temps, your mileage will suck. City driving, even with auto-stop, sucks. It's also possible that your battery issues aren't helping matters, at least as far as the digital read-out is concerned. If you drain it far enough(or when it gets disconnected), your trip info re-sets, including cumulative travel time, A and/or B distance, avg speed and avg mpg.
I feel like the ghost of my civic is possessing my CRZ as revenge for leaving her in the tow yard lot without a transmission.... I couldn't afford to give her a decent burial.
As sad as this statement is, it's still hilarious. ?

141 - 160 of 177 Posts