Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd imagine much of this is due to cost. I'd wager ROI (at least in gas savings) is still in our favor. ;) Every car is a set of compromises. There's an old adage; a car can be fast/cheap/reliable. Pick two.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Get used to this.

In the not so distant future when gas is $12 a gallon and we live with European style taxes designed to discourage driving a personal vehicle things will be worse. You'll be stuck on the bus watching the latest Porsche drop top coupe fly by with gobs of instant torque from EV motors. Of course you just lack the inflation adjusted $185,000 required to buy one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am sure the point of this Porsche hybrid is not really fuel economy, but I think saying it gets 78 MPG is quite a stretch since it is a plug in type hybrid. I assume this means, that they started out with a fully charged battery pack and drove the economy cycle and then are only accounting for the gas used. what about the cost of the electricity to charge the batteries.

Over here in Hawaii we pay the country's highest price for electricity (about $0.30/KW) so charging a plug in hybrid ends up not too much cheaper than running a gas engine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi,

the Porsche 918 Spyder will come in the end of 2012.
They will build 918 pieces and each of them cost 500000€ - right, half a million!

Here is the official press release from Porsche:
Press releases - About Porsche - Home - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
The Concept Study of the 918 Spyder allows CO2 emissions of just 70 g/km, corresponding to fuel consumption of 3.0 litre/100 km (94.1 mpg imp) in the NEDC, on the one hand, and the performance of a super-sports car, on the other. This extremely efficient drivetrain technology then forms a symbiosis in the 918 Spyder with truly outstanding design and high-tech motorsport achievements. Further product details of the 918 Spyder will be disclosed in the months to come.
[/QUOTE]

And a nice promo video:
Countdown to Motion: Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Drives. on Vimeo

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
the crazy part is that for buyers of this car, porsche is "allowing" them to buy a limited edition 911 until they can get the 918 and it costs the same as the 918! The marketing people there know how to make a buck i tell ya...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.