Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I will say that this is indeed a real thread and not a troll thread. I am not interested in MPG or anything like that, so spare me those commments.

I would honestly like to know what people think of adding a 50 shot to the CRZ? It would probably land the car around 160-170 whp, which by accounts so far seems to be safe for the LEA? Should I be aware of anything that would hold me back from such an installation? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, I'm sure I'll get accused immediately or down the line. But I legitimately want to know. I am really familiar with Hondas in general and know that for the most part, low nitrous shots are relatively safe and do not need anything as far as additional tuning.

However, I know that this is obviously a different engine than most Hondas, but like I said, Bisi turbo kit puts out that much power safely. Thus I would venture to say that it could hold a 35-50 shot of nitrous unless I am missing something (aka purpose of the thread)

Hoping to get some good info!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is there a fuel controller to let you set up a wet system? I wasn't sure how Bisi was getting to the ECU to tune their setup.

For some reason I just picture this going lean really fast (but obviously I don't know for sure).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, as far as a wet kit (which is usually safer) there shouldn't be any tuning required at all. You have a nitrous solenoid AND fuel solenoid, unlike a dry kit which needs tuning to adjust fuel. That is why this seems to be such an attractive option for me. Speaking for RSX's at least, they can handle 75 shot wet kits without tuning. I would only be looking for 35, 50 at the most.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
DerekS is the king of useful posts, let me tell you.
Let me see if I understand what DerekS is saying...in order to use nitrous effectively, you have to be a bald buff man in his 30's whose clearly bi (or the rumors say) and have an IQ of no more than 30...yeah probably one the most useful posts I have ever seen him post, quite detailed too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little off topic for a second but, Derek, I noticed you have a Porsche in your profile. Curious to know your racing experience, track times, and power you put down?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm really surprised at how the mods let Derek get away with the # of "useful posts" (sarcasm) he lobs into threads.

But yeah, I think you should be fine with your stated hp goal if you plan on going with a direct port wet system. Every volume automaker has to de-tune an engine quite a bit due to the manufacturing tolerances involved and the longevity of the engine.

I accidentally said "wet" in my original post; but I was thinking about tuning added fuel delivery in a dry setup.

Also the CR-Z doesn't have a direct injection setup so I think the risk to damaging the in cylinder injector isn't a factor.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A nicely made direct port system would easily mount to the CRZ. With the intake manifold having aluminum runners it wouldn't be very hard at all.

And for those with no sense of humor...let Derek be. I lol'ed.

·
Registered
807 Posts
A little off topic for a second but, Derek, I noticed you have a Porsche in your profile. Curious to know your racing experience, track times, and power you put down?
I thought I removed that...I got rid of it.

I never tracked it, but loved the power. That's why idea of putting nitrous on a 128hp hybrid is hilarious to me. Power to me is built in at the factory!

Respectfully meant.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
as much as im normally for modifying cars and improving them over stock, nitrous is illegal in my province. So im neutral on this thread.

keep in mind derek that if he does manage to hit even 160 whp that will make for quite a fun ride. the car should keep up with a lot or performance ready cars out there sans the insane insurance rates, maintenence, douchebag sales people, douchebag people who judge you because you just have a GT3 and not a GT3RS etc etc...

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think we all agree that the CRZ is a really fun car! We also all agree that it's a bit light on power.

I personally view NOS with high suspicion - a friend of mine put a bottle in his Mustang 5.0 and blew out the engine. This kind of thing is not good for the wallet.

I'm sorry (once again) that my humor rubs people the wrong way. I really don't mean to anger folks, just participating in my own way. Maybe I should lurk more.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, I have never run nitrous on a Honda engine before. But I did run it back in the day on a several GM 4 cylinders including the famous 2.2L pushrod motor in the Cavalier, the 2.4L Quad 4, and the 2.2L Ecotec and all with out fail, dry kit as well, pushing about 50 shot on both of the 2.2L stock and a 75 shot on a modified 2.4L. I also built an ecotec to run with a turbo and a 200 shot and again had no problems. I also had the kit on my Mustang running a 100 shot and again no problems.

What I am trying to get at is if you do it right, it won't be an issue. I was considering it my self, more of less for ****z and grins. But no more than a 40 shot or so. I really can't see how it could hurt it. Most cars you can boost up to around 6-8psi and have stock internals. So I don't see why you should have any problems with it.

My honest view: Well it may be fun a few times, freak a few people out, look cool at car shows, what not. But Nitrous runs out, you cant have it hooked up on the street legally ANYWHERE, so why not just turbo or put a supercharger on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I removed that...I got rid of it.

I never tracked it, but loved the power. That's why idea of putting nitrous on a 128hp hybrid is hilarious to me. Power to me is built in at the factory!

Respectfully meant.
Didn't figure you had. Really, when it all comes down to it, it may be "hilarious" to throw nitrous on a slow CRZ but it's something no one has done or suggested as far as I have read on this forum. I think it would be pretty neat as it SHOULD be easy (barring something that I am not aware of, aka this thread) and VERY cheap.

I have another car (in my sig) that is relatively quick and easily quicker than your previous Porsche, unless you were good for 11.80'/11.90's. Trust me, I am not trying to win an award for making ungodly power, or run respectable times, or try to be douche-Toretto hookin' up the CRZ with NAWWZ. However, you cannot tell me that a 160-170 whp CRZ wouldn't be funner than a stock/bolt-on CRZ.

Anyways, from what I gathered from a few posts, it sounds like there really should be no kinks along the way to installing a wet kit? Is there anyway maybe any shops on here could give some advice?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we all agree that the CRZ is a really fun car! We also all agree that it's a bit light on power.

I personally view NOS with high suspicion - a friend of mine put a bottle in his Mustang 5.0 and blew out the engine. This kind of thing is not good for the wallet.

I'm sorry (once again) that my humor rubs people the wrong way. I really don't mean to anger folks, just participating in my own way. Maybe I should lurk more.
It's all good man. No harm done!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I have never run nitrous on a Honda engine before. But I did run it back in the day on a several GM 4 cylinders including the famous 2.2L pushrod motor in the Cavalier, the 2.4L Quad 4, and the 2.2L Ecotec and all with out fail, dry kit as well, pushing about 50 shot on both of the 2.2L stock and a 75 shot on a modified 2.4L. I also built an ecotec to run with a turbo and a 200 shot and again had no problems. I also had the kit on my Mustang running a 100 shot and again no problems.

What I am trying to get at is if you do it right, it won't be an issue. I was considering it my self, more of less for ****z and grins. But no more than a 40 shot or so. I really can't see how it could hurt it. Most cars you can boost up to around 6-8psi and have stock internals. So I don't see why you should have any problems with it.

My honest view: Well it may be fun a few times, freak a few people out, look cool at car shows, what not. But Nitrous runs out, you cant have it hooked up on the street legally ANYWHERE, so why not just turbo or put a supercharger on it.
Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking but just needed some reassurance. I agree with you and probably would only go 35 shot. Still would be worth it given how easy the install is and how cheap the kit is.

The reason I don't want to throw a turbo or SC on there is the $$. I cannot justify spending that much money for so little power. That route for F/I requires being able to tune the ECU which I also don't feel like having to deal with.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts