Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So im on my second tank and managed to calculate 50MPG (UK gallons) on the last tank.

I'm reading around on the forum and quite a few of our friends across the pond seem to be getting 50MPG+ (assuming that is US gallons) that is way better than what I have just got in UK gallons! (20%?)

My drive to work is pretty much 65-70MPH on busy but fluid moving motorways (m6, m62, m57)

Should I be expecting my engine to get more than 50MPG as it loosens up and breaks in?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't forget the weather affects fuel economy. In this cold weather at the moment you haven't seen the full potential of your economy just yet... I'm averaging 42.2mpg driving on the A19 everyday, and that's after getting a few rags from country roads on sports mode :)
Be less hot footed on the motorway and you'll definitely see your mpg rising, or just try and stay on cruise control if possible on relative speeds - 60-75mph.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi all,

So im on my second tank and managed to calculate 50MPG (UK gallons) on the last tank.

I'm reading around on the forum and quite a few of our friends across the pond seem to be getting 50MPG+ (assuming that is US gallons) that is way better than what I have just got in UK gallons! (20%?)

My drive to work is pretty much 65-70MPH on busy but fluid moving motorways (m6, m62, m57)

Should I be expecting my engine to get more than 50MPG as it loosens up and breaks in?
Your fuel economy is way better than average and among the top 25% of all CRZ owners. While some folks have reported a trip or two with an average of 50 mpg US or more, I do not think there is anyone here who has reported a consistent average of 50 mpg US.

The best mileage seems to be obtained on non-highway country roads with speeds in the 45 to 55 range. Speeds greater than 60 will begin to impact maximum fuel economy with speeds over 70 mph really reducing mileage significantly. The CRZ does not seem to be one of the most aerodynamic vehicles available.

Lots of opinions about fuel economy increasing after the engine breaks in. So far I have seen no one here report any significant increase as the miles have rolled up on the odometer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
50MPG is very good at the moment, i'm just getting over 45 for this current tank & driving to save fuel very little sports mode mainly in normal & small amount of eco
i'm resisting the sports mode for the time being as I know if I start to use it I will have to have it on that setting permanantly!!!
I found that the best mileage seems to be obtained on non-highway country roads noted earlier, some duel driving not much motorway testing yet

·
Registered
208 Posts
These are my numbers (UK, herts):
CRZ (Honda CR-Z) | Fuelly

In short, I only seem to break 50mpg when I full up mid-run (rather than as part of my weekly trip to Tesco), and then by the time I get to the end of the tank, it has dropped back down to 48ish. Recent tanks are better than earlier ones, 15 mile cross country is my typical commute.

·
Registered
281 Posts
50 is pretty good I reckon - I'm averaging 49 at the moment. My commute is 10 miles mixed urban and 35 miles on the M62 (each way).
The average has crept up from a start of 46 - don't know if that's the engine loosening up or me driving it better.
On a reasonably clear run I've seen around 57/58 for a single trip but I can't see me bettering that until the weather warms up.
As others have said it seems to be the cruising speed that affects the mpg most - I try (sometimes successfully) to keep to about 65.
When I've felt the need to go, er, a bit faster than that, the economy took a dive :)
I've only done about 1800 miles so I'm still learning the car. Mostly I use Normal but Econ for the worst traffic to make the most of auto-stop. I use Sport occasionally but probably not enough to make any difference to the figures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Looks promising then!

I love the car, but I do wonder what Honda are playing at....it's not particular fuel efficient for a hybrid nor particularly quick. It certainly is an odd ball car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I love the car, but I do wonder what Honda are playing at....it's not particular fuel efficient for a hybrid nor particularly quick. It certainly is an odd ball car.
Well as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it.
I think it's a pretty good compromise; fun when you want (although it's no rocket-ship), reasonably frugal the rest of the time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My work commute (all 30's & 40's & stop/start) averages about 39 - 45 weather dependant as if everything 'on' from lights to heaters etc it drags it down.
As previously posted, we've seen on long trips between 55 - 58 indicated.
The last longer one was on the 8th Jan, and was about 340 round trip when we averaged 57 for that & much of it was motorway & major A roads.

When I visit family about 20 miles away, that really drags it down as I use the Surrey hills (back of Shere & Farleigh Green) to get to them - this hammers the mpg!)

Currently last reading was 39 yesterday, but that was on a slightly extended commute in the dark & I kept popping it into sport mode for pulling out of junctions :blush:

·
Registered
281 Posts
slight inprovement this fill up but not a patch on you guys, must be the slight hills on my journeys that mess my MPG as i'm being so careful it hurts sometimes

going to try a tank in sport mode see how that works
I reckon trying to be too careful can work against you - until this week I was using Econ as much as possible on my M62 commute (over the pennines, so plenty o hills) but I found it to be quite irritating trying to maintain traffic speed and I would run out of IMA on every major uphill. This week I only used Econ for the worst bits of traffic & kept it in Normal for the rest of the time - basically drove it, well, normally ;)
Result is that it was less frustrating in the traffic, I only ran out of IMA once all week and, despite the traffic being poor because of the weather, got my best tank average so far (411 miles @ 50.4).
Mind you, I expect the engine is loosening up all the time and it was quite mild this week, but overall it seems a much better way to go (for me anyhow).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine was 48-50mpg with the standard wheels. I recently put a set of 17" wheels on it and it is now about 46-47mpg. Lots of traffic and stop/start into work each day.
I was thinking of maybe upgrading to the 17s myself - how has it affected the ride and grip? I think the ride is good on the 16s but traction and lateral grip are not amazing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I reckon trying to be too careful can work against you - until this week I was using Econ as much as possible on my M62 commute (over the pennines, so plenty o hills) but I found it to be quite irritating trying to maintain traffic speed and I would run out of IMA on every major uphill. This week I only used Econ for the worst bits of traffic & kept it in Normal for the rest of the time - basically drove it, well, normally ;)
Result is that it was less frustrating in the traffic, I only ran out of IMA once all week and, despite the traffic being poor because of the weather, got my best tank average so far (411 miles @ 50.4).
Mind you, I expect the engine is loosening up all the time and it was quite mild this week, but overall it seems a much better way to go (for me anyhow).
it's a strange one, I've done about 1250 miles & have never run out of IMA, actually never gone lower than a third "full" charge

·
Registered
281 Posts
it's a strange one, I've done about 1250 miles & have never run out of IMA, actually never gone lower than a third "full" charge
You won't (AFAIK) see the IMA battery go down to less than 3/8 when driving - it stops giving you assist at that point and that's what I mean by "run out". There's juice left in the battery, but no motor assist available.

I join the motorway and climb about 700ft in 4 miles.
In Econ the amount of IMA usage is a fair bit higher than in Normal mode and it drains the battery real quick - it's dead (i.e. down to 3 bars) by 2/3rds of the way up.
By contrast, if I stick to Normal I might get down to 4 bars by the top, but I don't run out. I get back so much energy on the way down that it fills the battery and stops charging.

So in Econ I get good mpg for 2/3rds of the climb, but then it's poor for the remainder as I have no assist.
In Normal I get slightly less mpg for the 2/3rds but it continues to assist all the way to the top giving better mpg overall.
I see this twice each way on my commute and the overall change in altitude is about 1200ft - gives it quite a workout I think :fistpump:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was thinking of maybe upgrading to the 17s myself - how has it affected the ride and grip? I think the ride is good on the 16s but traction and lateral grip are not amazing.
Ride and grip are a big improvement. I thought the 16"'s were a little skittish for my liking. The Bridgestones on the 16s were plain scary in the snow. Like slicks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You won't (AFAIK) see the IMA battery go down to less than 3/8 when driving - it stops giving you assist at that point and that's what I mean by "run out". There's juice left in the battery, but no motor assist available.
I have :rolleyes:
On a steep winding & climbing road in Sussex, stuck in traffic (coming out the back way from Edenbridge last October) the IMA went down & down to eventually only one light up - and just as I was about to crest the top it disappeared altogether. The next mile of slight downhill allowed it to come back up again tho to mid point.
Had it also do the same when messing about in north devon recently - the IMA was not impressed with the likes of Porlock Hill & did the same again, sinking to zero - but both these trips did use extreme hillwork.
No problem with driving the car, just popped it into normal & carried on, tho a little underpowered for a short while....

On the other side of the coin, on my work commute it often goes onto 'full' tho :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have :rolleyes:
On a steep winding & climbing road in Sussex, stuck in traffic (coming out the back way from Edenbridge last October) the IMA went down & down to eventually only one light up - and just as I was about to crest the top it disappeared altogether. The next mile of slight downhill allowed it to come back up again tho to mid point.
Had it also do the same when messing about in north devon recently - the IMA was not impressed with the likes of Porlock Hill & did the same again, sinking to zero - but both these trips did use extreme hillwork.
No problem with driving the car, just popped it into normal & carried on, tho a little underpowered for a short while....

On the other side of the coin, on my work commute it often goes onto 'full' tho :)
I take it that was in Sport mode? I haven't tried that as I've only used Sport in short bursts but I think I've seen another comment somewhere about the assist working differently and going to 0/8 in Sport mode.
I'll try it next time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.