Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchase my CRZ I've noticed that the 3rd gear is a smidge notchy. Not bad, at all, just not as butter smooth as the other gears. Curious, and somewhat paranoid from synchro problems in my old WRX, I poked around on the web and noticed that many Honda models in the past have experienced 3rd gear synchro issues.

So, my question to fellow 6MT owners is, does your 3rd gear seam a hair more notchy than your others? I'm sure this is probably normal but would love some feedback.

Is our specific transmission shared with any other Honda models, and do those models experience the 3rd gear issue I've read about with RSXs and Civics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yea, I noticed 3rd gear is a bit odd. It somtimes wont let me go from 6th straight to 3rd even though the rpms are low enough. I wonder if it has some kind of rev safety feature so it doesnt over rev or it's just twitchy. I have to cycle through the gears or at least go into 4th first then 3rd. I usually cycle through the gears anyway, but somtimes, Ill stop really fast and want to down shift to 4th or even 3rd, but it doesnt seem to wanna go it. So I gotta put it into 4th, then 3rd. I thought it was just me. Guess not.

If there's an issue. Honda should be able to find out about it and come out with a recall fix or something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If this transmission is anything like the trans in my S2000 then do not ever skip shift. You will fry your syncros quickly as the trans is expecting a certain speed and you are asking it to go even further up the revs then normal.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If this transmission is anything like the trans in my S2000 then do not ever skip shift. You will fry your syncros quickly as the trans is expecting a certain speed and you are asking it to go even further up the revs then normal.
Yea, good idea. I usually always cycle through the gears anyway as a habit. I just tried it a couple of times when slowing down fast and noticed it wouldnt go it; never forced it though. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Some times ive gone from 3rd to 6th or 4th to 6th, hope thats not going to be an issue but if so then i wont do that. My issue i have is that when the auto stop is on and i want to go it sometimes takes a bit of force to get it in 1st, same when goin in to reverse. I have 1400 miles but it just may need more time to break in. Any input?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Some times ive gone from 3rd to 6th or 4th to 6th, hope thats not going to be an issue but if so then i wont do that. My issue i have is that when the auto stop is on and i want to go it sometimes takes a bit of force to get it in 1st, same when goin in to reverse. I have 1400 miles but it just may need more time to break in. Any input?
Mines like that too. What helps I find is wiggling the stick around a bit to get it lose, then put it in. Or put it into 2nd gear first, then back into 1st. That seems to help a bit. I got about 1200 miles as well. So your not the only having tranny woes. Hope that helps. I'm still experimenting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking the 3rd gear notchiness is linkage related. Tonight when leaving the office and the car in auto-stop, I attempted to put the car into third from neutral and experienced the same notchiness as I do when moving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the engine is stopped the synchro plays no roll in gear engagement. No synchro involvement must mean mean it's linkage related.

I'd still love to hear from ad many 6mt owners as possible. Is your third hear engagement notchy/ more difficult than others?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would recommend not doing that, for us S2000 users it is not covered under warrantee.

My third gear has not given me any notice as far as being notchy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would recommend not doing that, for us S2000 users it is not covered under warrantee.

My third gear has not given me any notice as far as being notchy.
I've own 2 S2000's and skipped gears many times...never I had an issue with both cars.
I've own an 01 and 04. I do match rev all the time and not just throw into the gear and let off the clutch.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Anyone notice the rpms shoot up a bit after each shift? Especially when your shifting aggresively. I have to wait a second for the rpms to drop down a second before i shift. Meaning, shift slower into gear. It's kind of wierd. I didnt have this issue with my prelude. I wonder if it has a thing that keeps the rpms up for a moment. It's not like i push the gas in too soon and over rev. As soon as i press the clutch in, the rpms shoot up and come back down for a moment before i put it into the next gear. Not like fly up, but shoot up by about 300-500 rpm, then back down... Any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've own 2 S2000's and skipped gears many times...never I had an issue with both cars.
I've own an 01 and 04. I do match rev all the time and not just throw into the gear and let off the clutch.
Straight from the 01/06 ServiceNews bulletin:

"
Skip Shifting Is Brutal on
Synchronizers

Gear ratios in 6-speed manual trannies are spaced
close together so you can keep the engine speed
in its optimum range for max power and
acceleration. Shifting to the next higher or lower
gear in a close-ratio tranny causes small changes
in engine speed.
Shifting a close-ratio tranny through its gears by
the numbers puts a very small load on the
synchronizers since they only have to make small
changes to the speed of the mainshaft and the
clutch disc.
Some drivers, though, like to skip shift so they
don�t have to work the clutch pedal and shift lever
as much. They like to accelerate in 1st gear, then
pop it into 3rd gear, then into 5th or 6th. Skip
shifting, though, is really brutal on synchronizers;
it puts a higher demand on them than they were
designed to take. Skip shifting can cause
premature synchronizer wear that can cause the
gears to grind when you shift up or down.
If you�ve got a vehicle in your shop for repeated
damage to the synchronizers, go for a test-drive
with your service customer to see if he or she is
guilty of skip shifting. If that�s the case, remind
him or her skip shifting can be an expensive habit
to break. Any repairs due to skip shifting may be
reviewed and debited by your DPSM."

·
Registered
691 Posts
Anyone notice the rpms shoot up a bit after each shift? Especially when your shifting aggresively. I have to wait a second for the rpms to drop down a second before i shift. Meaning, shift slower into gear. It's kind of wierd. I didnt have this issue with my prelude. I wonder if it has a thing that keeps the rpms up for a moment. It's not like i push the gas in too soon and over rev. As soon as i press the clutch in, the rpms shoot up and come back down for a moment before i put it into the next gear. Not like fly up, but shoot up by about 300-500 rpm, then back down... Any ideas?
As pointed out this is because there is a clutch delay. Such a set up slows down the release of the clutch and puts less strain on the clutch at the expense of making the fastest shifts. For those who want a hotter setup, sometime people will remove this mechanism. As a result, these folks will wear their clutches faster, but they get a bit more responsive car.

If you make your shifts a little more leisurely and use a little less throttle you will not have the rpm rise and you will have a 100,000 mile clutch. If you continue to rush your shifts and get this extra slipping you will probably wear out your clutch before 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
As pointed out this is because there is a clutch delay. Such a set up slows down the release of the clutch and puts less strain on the clutch at the expense of making the fastest shifts. For those who want a hotter setup, sometime people will remove this mechanism. As a result, these folks will wear their clutches faster, but they get a bit more responsive car.

If you make your shifts a little more leisurely and use a little less throttle you will not have the rpm rise and you will have a 100,000 mile clutch. If you continue to rush your shifts and get this extra slipping you will probably wear out your clutch before 50,000 miles.
Yea, that's what ive been doing lately. Finessing it more so now. I'm finding I have to retrain myself to be more delicate. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmmm. I've been skip shifting for 158,000 miles in my Toyota.1,3,5 - 4,2,1 I still have the factory clutch as well. This talk about the 6 speed in the crz is making me rethink getting one... Nah, I'll still get one but I guess I should learn to use all the gears.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This and downshifting both aren't an issue if you match your revs, your synchros and clutch will go on for a long time without any problems. As for notchiness, all the gears feel notchy. I thought that was just the superb feel of the gearbox. I relate it to sliding into a nice gal.[table][/table]

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ok no more skipping for me, especially since ive grinded 3rd a couple times being aggresive with my shifts.

For those who want a hotter setup, sometime people will remove this mechanism. As a result, these folks will wear their clutches faster, but they get a bit more responsive car.
But will it void the warrentee?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts