Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I've been frustrated by a rather niche and superficial problem lately. See, I've got one of those dash-mounted "Passenger Airbag" lights, and a passenger seat sensor that seems to be on a hair trigger. If I so much as look at the seat the wrong way, that bright orange light comes on and sends me into fits of PTSD from cars long past plagued with check engine lights and other anxiety-inducing warning lights.

I'm sure most of you with this problem either just ignore it, or stick a piece of tape over it like a normal person. Even fewer of you have figured out that 77955-SZT-J21 can be had for a substantial sum of cash, and will get you a beautiful chrome 'CR-Z' logo blank plate from the land of the rising sun. I, however, am not a normal person, and I'm neither satisfied with ignoring the 'problem', nor am I happy to throw away my hard earned cash on something I could just make myself.

So, without further ado, I present my solution to the problem:

This is a 3D printable plate that goes over the light, with a nice embossed CR-Z logo to boot. Might not be as pretty as the JDM version, but it sure beats putting tape over it.

This is the first 3D print I've designed myself, so any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm also not 100% sure on the fitment in an OEM dash, as I have the aftermarket Metra fit kit, which moves my light to the top and changes the surround a bit. I'd love for someone to try it out on an OEM setup to confirm.

If you don't have a 3D printer, or don't know someone with one, I could be persuaded to mail you one of these if you throw me a few dollars. There are also services like Shapeways that will print things like this to order in whatever color or material you like.

Hope this helps some folks out!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
The problem isn't as niche as you would think. There are different versions of the little airbag light and some do not fit on aftermarket radios, that's the case with me. Some time ago I designed a model similar to yours, but I made mine in 3 parts to print it in 3 pieces. The first 2 pieces are the actual CR-Z text. I printed them with white and blue PLA on a 0.2mm nozzle. The last piece is the actual body, and I printed mine on PETG on a 0.4mm nozzle. It was very tricky because it is all printed in one go and I have to pause the printer to change nozzle and filament twice without moving anything. The face of the plate is actually the first layer, and since my print surface was a bit rough, I had to sand the plate down, then I applied a clear coat. I think it turned out great, and it's held up perfectly in the Florida sun. I think I lost the 3-piece model, but I think I posted a link to the simple 1-piece model here some time ago.

Hood Automotive lighting Window Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem isn't as niche as you would think. There are different versions of the little airbag light and some do not fit on aftermarket radios, that's the case with me. Some time ago I designed a model similar to yours, but I made mine in 3 parts to print it in 3 pieces. The first 2 pieces are the actual CR-Z text. I printed them with white and blue PLA on a 0.2mm nozzle. The last piece is the actual body, and I printed mine on PETG on a 0.4mm nozzle. It was very tricky because it is all printed in one go and I have to pause the printer to change nozzle and filament twice without moving anything. The face of the plate is actually the first layer, and since my print surface was a bit rough, I had to sand the plate down, then I applied a clear coat. I think it turned out great, and it's held up perfectly in the Florida sun. I think I lost the 3-piece model, but I think I posted a link to the simple 1-piece model here some time ago.

View attachment 65710
Wow this looks awesome! You put way more thought and work into yours than I did mine. Good looks my man!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
Ok so I actually dug around my old Fusion360 account and I found the models. I based my method on this video, but instead of 2 colors I had 3, along with 2 materials and 2 nozzles. My printer has auto bed-level, so what I did was actually to slice the 3 files separately, making sure they were all in the exact same spot and to enable z-hop as per the video. I then opened the 2nd and 3rd file in notepad and removed any of the start gcode. After the first part is printed, I can't have the printer home or perform a bed-level because that will mess the whole process up. I also removed the command to disable steppers at the end of the print, because if I move the nozzle at all the whole thing is done. Also, different to the video, I did use a skirt around the prints, I just made sure that the skirt from the current print wouldn't go over the skirt for the previous print, it just made them bigger and bigger. In between prints I'd swap the filament and nozzle as needed. The biggest challenge was getting the gcode sorted since I needed to start prints without homing or leveling. Also changing the nozzle was very stressful because I had to make sure I didn't move the printer.

Looking back at this madness I'm surprised that it worked in the first place, I got it on my 2nd try. If anyone wants to try this, here is a link to the files.

they are under 3d logo\airbag plate

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
Wow this looks awesome! You put way more thought and work into yours than I did mine. Good looks my man!
Thanks. In fairness, I didn't do a perfect job recreating the logo. I just laid a PNG of the logo I found on top of a blank rectangle, used the arc tool (I think?) to trace any curved lines, and just used straight lines for the... well, the straight lines lol. You can see the C isn't quite right, the curved line doesn't quite meet up correctly with the straight line, particularly on the top. For such a small part it doesn't matter, but it's worth noting if someone wants to scale the model up. I'm not sure how you did it, but from what I can see it looks great, nothings looks off to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small update, I used my slicing software (Cura)'s "fuzzy skin" feature to create this...

Brown Textile Sleeve Grey Beige

Might play around a bit with surface textures...might be able to kinda match the dash texture....maybe.

Also was playing today with dual-filament printing, which would allow me to make the first few layers red and the outside black...which would make the surround black and the letters red. Still working out the kinks, will update.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
I have this thing I printed a while back (It's Amaterasu from the game Okami)
Automotive design Art Wood Font Material property

I printed it using silk PLA on a 0.2mm nozzle and I think it looks amazing. The back is actually red, so it shows a bit through the holes in the print giving it a weird looking red outline from some angles.

Wood Bumper Road surface Asphalt Flooring
Light Blue Peripheral Purple Computer
Here's a view of the side and back.

I think you could do something similar with the little logo. Print the top surface of both the badge itself, as well as the top of the letters black, but print the walls of the letters red, so it gives the impression that the letters have a red outline. This can be easily done by printing some layers in red and some in black.

Also, and FYI for anyone looking to try this, what macc-attacc or I am doing can be achieved with a single extruder, you just have to manually change the filament. A dual extruder does make the process much easier since it's 100% automated and has a lower chance of failing, though.

As for giving the print some texture, I think it may be better to print on a rough surface, such as painter's tape.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have this thing I printed a while back (It's Amaterasu from the game Okami)
View attachment 65755

I printed it using silk PLA on a 0.2mm nozzle and I think it looks amazing. The back is actually red, so it shows a bit through the holes in the print giving it a weird looking red outline from some angles.

View attachment 65756 View attachment 65757 Here's a view of the side and back.

I think you could do something similar with the little logo. Print the top surface of both the badge itself, as well as the top of the letters black, but print the walls of the letters red, so it gives the impression that the letters have a red outline. This can be easily done by printing some layers in red and some in black.

Also, and FYI for anyone looking to try this, what macc-attacc or I am doing can be achieved with a single extruder, you just have to manually change the filament. A dual extruder does make the process much easier since it's 100% automated and has a lower chance of failing, though.

As for giving the print some texture, I think it may be better to print on a rough surface, such as painter's tape.
Ooh this is an EXCELLENT look. I like that a lot.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
Ooh this is an EXCELLENT look. I like that a lot.
I got it by setting the top layer pattern to concentric instead of lines. Here's what it looks like with lines, which is the default for Cura
Paint Textile Art Creative arts Material property

1 - 9 of 9 Posts