Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

ISSUE: Metallic rattle sound that persists in all 6 speeds when the CRZ is accelerating in the 3-4k RPM range, this also happens while engine braking during a downshift. There is absolutely no drivability issue or hesitation, the issue just started this morning. The sound seems to be coming from the center of the engine bay. Sounds like a can full of nails rattling.

From what I have read, this can be anything from a loose heat shield, mid-pipe clamp, or even a timing issue.

Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone,

ISSUE: Metallic rattle sound that persists in all 6 speeds when the CRZ is accelerating in the 3-4k RPM range, this also happens while engine braking during a downshift. There is absolutely no drivability issue or hesitation, the issue just started this morning.

From what I have read, this can be anything from a loose heat shield, mid-pipe clamp, or even a timing issue.

Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you fix
Unfortunately you haven't indicated where on car the sounds are coming. From what you describe, It doesn't seem like an engine issue. Possibly a loosened suspension component or under body shield etc. If you could under the vehicle you might track it down. Best of luck !

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had a brake sheild that was the cause of the rattle on my last CRZ. I started with those before crawling under the car only because it was easy. I stuck my finger inside the wheel and plucked the brake dust shield to see if they were making the noise. When I found the one that was the noise maker I pushed on it to move it back away from the disc. This seemed to kill the noise for me. I could hear it rattling while driving next to anything with my drivers window down.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately you haven't indicated where on car the sounds are coming. From what you describe, It doesn't seem like an engine issue. Possibly a loosened suspension component or under body shield etc. If you could under the vehicle you might track it down. Best of luck !
Thanks for your comment, I have updated the original post and may do so if I can find a little more about the sound. It's such an odd thing to happen.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I agree with @Eddie70 to check the brake dust shields cause those are notorious for annoyance. In addition inspect all the stamped metal heat shields: primary catalytic converter, ignition coil shield, half-shaft shield. Just grab and wiggle or tap with the end of a tool. There's also some welded-on shields on the exhaust 'down'pipe/secondary catalytic with another bolt-on heat shield but you said engine bay so probably don't need to check any further back than that.

For me I had a similarly described rattle from the shield over the half-shaft, it's above and surrounding the half-shaft, below the primary catatlytic. The bushings for that one are a metal steel-wool-looking construction and thus can erode (not necessarily rust) and cause a rattle between the bushing sleeve and shield.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your input. The issue was resolved by replacing both bolts that connect the header to pipe. Relatively simple, however my mechanic did have to source the bolts from Honda as there is no after market replacement.

Back to enjoying the rev-happy 1.5 :devilish:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts