Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So next week im installing a fully custom 2 inch piping from cat(s) back, thats right it has 2 for some reason. Its a 2 inch piping, unless somebody objects and has reasons or dynos to prove a different size, and a burnt tip apexi 3.5 can with a true japanese angle coming out (tilted to the side). Anyone interested? Comments?:staffmeeting:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
tilted is stupid IMO... not only does it look like you backed into a curb but it's also inefficient to add extra angles when the most power you can make is going to be from the straightest pip possible... also 2" has been done already and has nice gains... personally i'd like to see someone do a 2.5" (interior measurments) to see the gains from that... or at the very least 2.25"

also, a b4 and after dyno goes w/o saying... actually i just said it lol

Cliff notes:
2.5" piping
no retarded tilt on the can

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another issue im having is deciding if i want to go all straight pipe without any muffler except the can or to have a smaller second muffler before the can, i just dont want it to sound like a typical honda, suggestions?

Also: 2.25/2.5 im pretty sure tere will be NO back pressure at all and its a 1.5, not a 1.8 or 2.0 where that might fly, i want SOME torque!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
what does that "typical honda" mean?? the Si is a pretty sweet sounding car... and the CR-Z is right up there with it in sound quality... another member has videos of his with 2" and 1 resonator in the middle... i think, and some agree, that it's still too loud... i think he was gonna add a 2nd resonator to lower the sound a bit...

and i suggested 2.5" for him too but his was already fab'd up and it's not him making it... it's for a shop, so he can input, but not exactly change up what they want to make... but he was also concerned with the "back pressure" or lack thereof, and i had to remind him that the back pressure is only really useful down-low in the power band... and i also reminded him that the CR-Z has the IMA for down-low torque... his car peaked at 119wtq @ something like 1500rpms or close to that... all of that added torque is from the IMA and not from the gas engine... by the time the gas engine starts to get going, you won't need added back pressure to help with the torque b/c it's all horsepower from that point on...

but do whatever you want... that's just my suggestion :wavey:

btw, they also said that 3" was gonna be too big on the 2.0L +2006 Si and in fact that exhaust made the most hp and only sacrificed like 2 or 3 torque over a regular 2.5" exhaust...

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you want more Torque, you really should baseline your stock set up on a dyno and then re-dyno immediately after putting on the exhaust.

If you want better sound, be prepared to tweak your set up. My brother wanted better sound, but didn't want to kill his performance. He cut open his stock exhaust and removed the sound deadening fibers and welded in a straight pipe. He then put it all back together... multiple times until he got the sound he wanted.

Personally I like the tilted look. However, I have a bit of a bosozoku streak in me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean by typical like that really loud high pitched civic that makes loud fart noises and doesnt go anywhere. Can i get the link to the video or the person so i can hear it so i know what to shoot for? thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, and do you think it would be too high pitched and such with just straight pipe and then the can? if you think so can you send a link of a video of whet you think it would most likely sound like?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
you might see more stuff start to pop up after SEMA next month... i can't tell you b/c i don't own a CR-Z yet :hiding:

all i know is i'm a simple person and like simple things to be right... the only issue with the CR-Z stock sound is it's too low... other than that it's perfectly pitched for my taste...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
may be a bit raspy with no resonator - to my knowledge nobody has done it yet so any answer you get would probably be speculation.

loud is a matter of taste though. i like the idea of the CRZ being a hybrid. along with that, i want an aftermarket exahust that makes power but keeps the noise levels to a minimum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think that a straight through exhaust will sound raspy any way you do it. I think the best way would be 2" (2.25" Tops) with a resonator, a Flowmaster style muffler, and long exit pipes (Think along the lines of the 5Zigen center exit muffler).

But I agree with Bizzy - Don't angle the can. People originally angled the can for the best flow angle, to get the straightest angles. Now its completely popular and cool. Its like having a 3" ID exhaust, a wing, canards, carbon fiber, or anything else - pointless, unless you actually NEED it lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont really think so but it has a smaller opening for the outlet than it looks but yes it is quite large, ugh so now i will need a resonator as well? the shop i go to puts it on the lift and attaches it and revs it for you so ill let you all know how it all turns out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.