Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fueled up my CR-Z for the 2nd time today. Most of my driving is back and forth to work, rolling hills and then a little bit of city driving. I use econ mode exclusively and I only use ethanol free fuel.

-points at Fuelly signature- :hi5:

·
Registered
99 Posts
You are not going to see much difference between econ and normal commuting.

My car is always on normal and with the same type of commute you have ... getting 41 to above 43 mpg.

Can't stand the econ sluggishness and find that it actually hurts economy when driving in the hills.

However, econ on the highway will make a difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been doing all kinds of different test with different tanks. My best tank on ECON mode was 51.4 MPG at over 500 miles. My worse tank in ECON was at 42 and change. My average on ECON is 48-50MPG always dependant on construction traffic.
My last tank was all done in normal mode and driving the same speeds as previous tanks. Here are the numbers on my normal tank:
449.3 miles-Added 9.8 gals
45.2 comp
0 miles left
one bar left on fuel guage
8153 tot miles
40% oil life
45.8 MPG after manual calc.
As you can see there is a slight difference, in my case, anywhere from 3-5 MPG's on average. Worth it to me as this will allow me an extra trip to work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I noticed you stated you use ethanol free fuel. I would suppose you are talking about Premium gas...

I to use non ethanol gas and the econ mode exclusively. My average mpg is 39.5 "CVT" and will be filling up again today on my way to town. I hope to improve on that.

Take care.

-Roger

Fueled up my CR-Z for the 2nd time today. Most of my driving is back and forth to work, rolling hills and then a little bit of city driving. I use econ mode exclusively and I only use ethanol free fuel.

-points at Fuelly signature- :hi5:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Getting 42 mpg on my 2nd tank so far.. regular 87 octane.. lots of hills to and from work.

Normal and Econ modes are both the same efficiency.. Econ just limits how much effort is required to gas the engine.. Normal gives you a normal gas engine pedal feel.. you can gas it a lot easier if you need to pass or accelerate up onto an on-ramp. If you naturally have a heavy foot, I say keep it in Econ to force your bad habits..

Sport mode on the other hand seems to keep and hold a much higher rpm and a very light pedal.. zero effort to go WOT, etc. I like all 3 modes for various reasons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi and welcome,

I noticed you stated you use ethanol free fuel. I would suppose you are talking about Premium gas...

I to use non ethanol gas and the econ mode exclusively. My average mpg is 39.5 "CVT" and will be filling up again today on my way to town. I hope to improve on that.

Take care.

-Roger
No, I have access to ethanol free regular unleaded (87) and I was getting 39.2 mpg with it and econ mode. These cars were designed for regular octane gas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Jnaathra

I'm glad to hear you have 87 octane that is 100% gas where you live.
Where is that by the way?

Here in Pensacola we have only 100% premium gas as you can see in the picture I posted.

I filled my tank today and I got 40 mpg. Now to get that with the air conditioner on this summer. :dunno:

Good thread and keep posting.

-Roger

No, I have access to ethanol free regular unleaded (87) and I was getting 39.2 mpg with it and econ mode. These cars were designed for regular octane gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am located near Clemson SC.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

All of three of these are a stones throw from my home and all three carry regular ethanol free.

Seneca UNBRANDED 87 93 Lindsay Oil Company inc 901 W North 1st Street N34.68925 W82.97295 map details
Seneca UNBRANDED 89 Lowry Oil Co. 313 Old Salem Road N34.70280 W82.94292 map details
Seneca UNBRANDED Ralphs 490 A tokeena Rd. N34.62972 W82.97612 map details

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.