Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some 205/55/R16 tires to mount on my car for winter. More specifically the General Altimax Arctics!

I love these tires, and i recently took the car to SEVERAL shops who refused to install them because they 'would not fit'. However, the local Honda dealership is the only one that seemed to want to give it a try. I will be getting them mounted saturday.

I just want to see who, if anyone, is running this size tire.

Anyone running the General Altimax Arctics?

Any rubbing issues? How much does it set the speedometer off? I know the tire thread says 1.8% size difference.. so I'm just wanting to know more before I get them mounted, and possibly screw myself over.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
205/55/16 Winter tires

I've been running them on my OEM rims since last November. No problems. When you are stationary and have the wheels turned all the way (like your turning left) the clearances are pretty close though. I was worried about putting chains on with them. They are still on now.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice.. I'm just hoping I don't get any rubbing while backing downhill and then uphill at full lock. My driveway runs downhill, and then i immediately have to back up a hill.

Not sure why everyone was refusing to install them. Was driving me mad!

What tires are you running?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Winter tire 205/55/16

I'm using Yokohama, Ice Guard, IG-20.
There was very little selection for snow tire available for OEM 195/55/16 so I opted for tires that would also fit my 2010 Honda Civic if I had any issues. To be honest I can't rate these because last winter I drove the Civic with studded snows to work in the snow. I opted not to put studded tires on the CRZ because of the reduction in ride quality. We run the snows here from Nov till late April. I didn't really notice much difference in speedometer with the GPS, maybe a "1" mph difference at highway speed. The IG-20's seemed to have a good ride to them but they will be toast after '2" more seasons (at least for snow use). They seem to wear quickly.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome.. we'll I'm glad they will fit. Not sure why so many shops hassled me about it. They look like they will fit, and the generals come with a tread depth of 10/32'nds brand new which is awesome! I've ran them the past couple of winters on different cars and they ROCK!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to post an update:

Got the 205/55/R16 tires mounted, and they fit AWESOME! No rubbing at full lock in reverse, no rubbing at all. They fit in the wheel wells perfect, and look amazing! Not to mention, I feel like they slip less than the thinner 195/55/R16 tires! Awesome buy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm planning to buy the 205/55/R16 Michelin Cross Climates. Consumer Report and Tire Rack gave this tire great reviews. Still unsure about fitment...Found this on the web.
Good way to do tire size comparisons. Lots of info on tires.

If anyone has any additional info let me know please. Winter in Northern Michigan is almost here!
CR-Z 205:55R16.png

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning to buy the 205/55/R16 Michelin Cross Climates. Consumer Report and Tire Rack gave this tire great reviews. Still unsure about fitment...Found this on the web.
Good way to do tire size comparisons. Lots of info on tires.

If anyone has any additional info let me know please. Winter in Northern Michigan is almost here! View attachment 60095
DO NOT run 205/55/R16 in the snow. They suck! I made that mistake one year, never again. I actually run 185/65/R15's now in winter and they seem to have about 2x as much 'grip' and traction as the 205/55/R16 setup.

I would say the 205/55/R16 were downright terrible in deep snow. Terrible and unusable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts