Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recommendations for exhaust on a 2016 lx cvt? The only one I’ve seen that says it fits the 2016 is the hks silent series. People seem to like it, but it looks like it hangs 3” below the rear bumper. That doesn’t really seem like it’s gonna work whenever I decide to lower the car. I like the look of the center exhaust, but that looks like it would require a new bumper designed for it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Anybody have any recommendations for exhaust on a 2016 lx cvt? The only one I’ve seen that says it fits the 2016 is the hks silent series. People seem to like it, but it looks like it hangs 3” below the rear bumper. That doesn’t really seem like it’s gonna work whenever I decide to lower the car. I like the look of the center exhaust, but that looks like it would require a new bumper designed for it. Any ideas?
It is unlikely that the location of the exhaust hangers has changed for the 2016, so I think the shape of the revised bumper design is what's making it look like the HKS in hanging down lower. Actually, I don't think you'll have to limit yourself to the HKS, as being the only one that says it specifically fits the 2016. If it help to know, the OEM part# for the muffler/exhaust is the same on the 2016 as it is on my 2013.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is unlikely that the location of the exhaust hangers has changed for the 2016, so I think the shape of the revised bumper design is what's making it look like the HKS in hanging down lower. Actually, I don't think you'll have to limit yourself to the HKS, as being the only one that says it specifically fits the 2016. If it help to know, the OEM part# for the muffler/exhaust is the same on the 2016 as it is on my 2013.
Good to know any exhaust should fit. I’m trying to keep my budget below $500 which kinda limits me to the hks or a couple others I’ve seen under different names for less than $300, which leads me to doubt it’s quality.i think I’d rather go with the hks for the brand reliability and not have it rust out over time.
As far as how low it sits, I’m not sure what the difference In bumper height between the 16 and older models is, I’ve only been able to find pics of it mounted to older ones, and it always sticks out way below the rear bumper at an angle and it’s not really a clean look to me. It seems like if you lowered a car with the hks it would practically be dragging on the ground. Anybody have a 16 with the hks or anything really?
These are what I’ve been looking at;

On a side note, I’d like to thank you and spdbump for your help and all you guys do on this site. You guys are awesome with your knowledge and advice. It’s great having people like you in the community.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
... I’ve only been able to find pics of it mounted to older ones, and it always sticks out way below the rear bumper at an angle and it’s not really a clean look to me. ...
Oh yes, I've noticed that too, and don't like the way it exits either, but I misunderstood what you were saying, thinking that it sat even lower looking on the 2016. I actually think it sticks out too far too, so maybe you can tweak the mounting to make it fit more to your liking. I use some stiffer mounts, so you might want to buy a set of those, and see what difference they make, but the just pull the mountings tighter to eliminate rattle, more that change the actual position of the exit mounting.

...On a side note, I’d like to thank you and spdbump for your help and all you guys do on this site. You guys are awesome with your knowledge and advice. It’s great having people like you in the community.
Thanks--appreciate that--and nice to hear what other people are doing to their CR-Z's too, as it gives me ideas I haven't thought of. Good luck on deciding what exhaust to put on, but I can't recall seeing any 2016's with an aftermarket exhaust yet. :( You da first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes, I've noticed that too, and don't like the way it exits either, but I misunderstood what you were saying, thinking that it sat even lower looking on the 2016. I actually think it sticks out too far too, so maybe you can tweak the mounting to make it fit more to your liking. I use some stiffer mounts, so you might want to buy a set of those, and see what difference they make, but the just pull the mountings tighter to eliminate rattle, more that change the actual position of the exit mounting.

Thanks--appreciate that--and nice to hear what other people are doing to their CR-Z's too, as it gives me ideas I haven't thought of. Good luck on deciding what exhaust to put on, but I can't recall seeing any 2016's with an aftermarket exhaust yet. :( You da first.
Well my 3 year factory warranty expired recently so it’s time to start swapping things out. I assume a lot of 2016s are either still under warranty or are still on dealer lots :confused:. I picked up a takeda I’m gonna install soon, exhaust next, and whenever the stock suspension wears out I’ll probably lower it with something sporty. It’s a cvt so I’m not planning on doing the supercharger since I don’t think the cvt can really handle that and I plan on keeping this car forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plenty of supercharged CVTs running around. Well, maybe plenty is overstating it a little. Might be harder to find a supercharger now than an example of a CR-Z cvt that's had issues due to excessive power.
Yeah, if I ever did decide to add a supercharger it won’t be for a while and I’m sure they’ll be impossible to find. More likely I’ll ride the engine/transmission until it dies and do an engine swap. Hopefully that isn’t for many many years though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts