Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

2014 EX, Non-Nav Bluetooth keeps disconnecting

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Spdbump 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have been primarily lurking from the time I decided a CR-Z was in my future. Unfortunately, my first "New Thread" is a call for help.

I recently picked up a 2014 CR-Z EX without Nav. The first day, I set up the HandsFree Link and paired my Google Pixel XL. Since then, the HFL keeps disconnecting and sometimes reconnecting to my phone. I have been able to receive phone calls using HFL. Sometimes if I am initiating the call through HFL, the BT disconnects right before the call starts ringing.

I have tried reconnecting through both the HFL Menu and the Phone's BT Menu, but the random disconnecting still occurs.

I have deleted the phone from the HFL and the car from my phone settings. I then re-paired the phone, but I am still having the same issue.

Hopefully someone has had the same issue and was able to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Sometimes, I have to reconnect mine after I've disconnected the 12v battery--maybe your 12v is just weak enough that it's disconnecting because of that--other than that, I haven't had any problems.

#3 ·
I have had one disconnect where I had to reprogram the Speed Bump but that was after an oil change. I have no Idea what they did :frown2:. What does the voltage on your under hood battery read when car is not running? Litz maybe on to something. You may also want to have a battery load test on that battery( if OEM with "eye"). If they do that make sure the car is not running.

But it may also be an issue with the radio and memory.:dunno:

Do you know anyone else with a phone not a Pixel you can test with? Just to eliminate the phone as the issue and narrow it down to the car itself.

#4 ·
Thank you both. Will the display show the Voltage of the hood battery? I have not had the battery load tested yet. Is that something that I can do at home with a multimeter or battery tender?

I am going to try to connect my work phone to see if I have the same problem.

#5 ·
Load test needs a device specific for that purpose. Most auto parts places and mechanics have a device for doing this. I have had batteries load tested for free at an auto parts place. Some will only test if battery is out of car some will come out to car in parking lot. Just make sure it is done with car off.

There is no display in our cars that shows battery voltage without car running.( or at all) If you have a multi meter that can be used but a load test will tell you more as a battery can read fine when not running and unloaded but will drop in voltage when a load is on it.

#7 ·
How did you make out with another phone? Is it the Car or the phone? Please keep us informed as to what you find out if you do. It is an odd failure mode. Forgive me for possibly too much detail on load testing a battery it is just one trouble shooting step for weird possibly electrical issues with these cars.

Something else I wanted to ask have you lost any radio presets? The chances of that are very low as the radios have a capacitor to retain that information but if you lose radio presets and Bluetooth then it is definitely IMHO an electrical issue.

#8 ·
I have not tried the work phone yet. I have spent the last 3 nights tackling leaks in the plumbing leading to our outside spigot. It looks like we were able to get a good solder on the pipes and hopefully I can try the work phone tomorrow before I leave for my morning commute.

Please don't apologize for too much info! The last 4 cars that I have owned ('06 Subaru Legacy GT LTD, '10 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition, '02 Honda Civic, '02 Audi TT QC) have all been supported by informative online forums, so I love being able to get as much information as possible. You never know when getting information for one problem can give you the answer to another problem.

I am glad that the people who still frequent the forum are truly CR-Z enthusiasts. It makes the knowledge base more reliable.

#11 ·
So far, I have used the Work phone for one full commuting days, and it seems like the connection has been solid.

I think the issue may lie with the Pixel. It is weird because the phone works well in my Toyota Sienna. I am able to stream audio as well as receive calls, without random disconnections.

The saga continues.

#12 ·
Different cars and phones have different Blue tooth capabilities based on what version, Chip sets etc.

So it looks like it maybe a particular phone or a brand/ model of phone issue.

All information is good information.

Hopefully this will help you narrow it down.:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.