Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how everyone else feels about the S+ button and its operation. Please state whether you're CVT or 6MT and what modes (ECON, NORMAL, SPORT) you have used the S+ button from.

For me, I have a 6MT and drive in NORMAL most of the time. I have some difficulty with the S+ button in getting it to activate so it often seems to be more trouble than it's worth. From my understanding from the owner's manual you need to press the button BEFORE pressing the accelerator pedal which makes it a bit hard to use in a situation where you realize you need a little extra boost. Also according to the manual, the S+ button will disengage once you let off the accelerator, so how useful is this in the 6MT where you'll need to let off the accelerator for shifting?

I've tried it on the on ramps and try to time it just right between my 2nd and 3rd gear to get a boost onto the freeway, but having to try and time it like this seems counterintuitive to the whole point of having the button.

Frequent users of the S+ button, drop some knowledge in here! :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a CVT and from what I've read on the forums the S+ button does seem to work better on the CVT. I use it in Sport and Econ. I hardly ever drive in Normal. As long as you aren't accelerating and are at a steady speed you don't have to let up on the gas. If you are accelerating you do have to let up a bit for a second. I did have trouble using it in Sport at first because I was usually accelerating in that mode, then I figured out the trick to it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Most people don't know how S+ works. I thought I did 4x before I figured it out. There was a guide somewhere but I can no longer find it. Press S+ wait for the flash Let of the GAS then MASH it. ( To my knowledge ) I have tested a million times pressing it while flooring it and I cannot get it to activate right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used it occasionally for fun, or to get away from annoying traffic issues (gap closing ... must get into other lane...). It seems to work fine and give a nice break from 'normal' mode. Don't use it too much, though, as I've got 4200 miles on the car and am trying to get the long running average MPG up to 40, just because.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a EX Manual and I like the S+. I drive mostly in Eco mod so when I need to get up to speed quickly (i.e merging on highway or passing) I just hit the s+ button then push the gas and get full battery assist. It is like going into Sport mode for a short time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an EX CVT, I've used the S+ button for entertainment purposes mostly. It's cool to show off but I haven't really used it in a real-world situation where it had to be used. I normally drive in Econ and occasionally Sport, pretty much never Normal. I've used the button only in Sport.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I find it moderately useful in Econ mode for accelerating on the intial part of a hill. You get full battery boost with moderate throttle. I push it to 5-10 MPH over the the limit and then use a very light throttle for the rest of the hill as I slow down to just under the speed limit. This works very well on some hills on my day to day commute.

I find it less useful in normal driving conditions since you can get pretty much the same effect by just mashing the gas in both Sport and Econ. I really don't notice much in Sport mode using it. I pretty much never use Normal so I'll refrain from commenting on that.

This is with a 6MT.

Edit: One thing about using the S+ button, press it then let up on the gas, then accelerate again. In Econ, this gives a very noticeable boost. Trying to activate it by just accelerating seems to require almost wide open throttle which seems to defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In a 6MT, the process is as follows:
1 - Anticipate when you are going to use S+, such as prior to going up a hill, or when you want to play.
2 - Press the S+ button when the indicator is on and is "ready." The best gear to use it for with the 6MT is usually 6th, although it works in other gears.
3 - After you press S+, the dash indicator blinks indicating that it's ready.
4 - Press the accelerator to activate it. You don't need to "mash" it as a previous poster suggested, just a gentle press on the accelerator should kick in S+.
5 - When you want to cancel it, either let up off of the accelerator, or push the S+ button again.

With experimentation, you'll find when it works best, and be able to control it easily. Try it on a flat road starting at 60+ MPH for a bit of fun. You'll notice the most difference in Econ mode, and the least in Sport mode, although it does impact any mode.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't exactly had my CR-Z for a long time (it's a CVT btw), but so far the S+ button has been good to have. I was suspicious I'd think it was a gimmick.

In econ mode you can easily switch to a mode that gets maximum performance for a short period of time, then switches back to econ mode. This seems like a very practical thing to have on your commute, if part of that commute is a busy freeway.

Then again, 'downshifting' with the paddle is probably similar in getting a little more power at short notice. I think S+ works well, though. For a manual I don't think it's either necessary or that easy to use (I did test drive a stick). Just downshift and hit the gas, IMO, unless you're in second or third, I guess.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Even with the 6MT it isn't difficult to use. Plus I shift so low in this car that I'm generally in 6th by 35 MPH--even when in Sport. So unless I'm in a 25-30 MPH zone, I'm probably already in 6th by the time I want to use the S+ button.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the posts, everyone. Since my original post I've changed to using ECON mode more often and now use the S+ button without issue to get a quick boost (usually in 6th gear).

My original misunderstanding was that it could only be activated if my foot was off the accelerator. Thankfully this is not the case. :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was wondering what the difference between S+ and WOT was but I think I've gathered the answers to my questions from page 1. Also when I first started driving the car first week and a half I had no trouble with pressing/activating s+ but lately I have to really focus or I wont press it all the way or something happens that I thot I pressed it, go to push throttle down and nothing happens -__- total blue balls

·
Registered
18 Posts
I kinda like it. but quicker to hit sport mode then back to eco, instead of waiting for system to "prime". it would be more useful if it worked faster in case speeding up is only way to avoid accident or you're about to get rear ended.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was wondering what the difference between S+ and WOT was but I think I've gathered the answers to my questions from page 1. Also when I first started driving the car first week and a half I had no trouble with pressing/activating s+ but lately I have to really focus or I wont press it all the way or something happens that I thot I pressed it, go to push throttle down and nothing happens -__- total blue balls
sorry i don't have the link, but there was a whole thread regarding S+ vs WOT in sport mode. most people did agree S+ superior to sport WOT. cause most ppl said S+ worked in sport mode too. I too agree. especially CVT users.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
after gaining more experience on s+ vs. sport mode button use the s+ if immediate power is needed. keep in sport mode for extended needs or if battry is low and gas power is needed. in 6mt lets say i drop from 6th to 3rd cuz im in eco and i need some juice to get up to speed or for whatever reason...if i press sport mode as im dropping gears it takes about 2-3x longer for the transition to take place and actually the throttle plate seems to freeze up if not careful which this seems bad. so now what i do is clutch pedal down, shifter to neutral, (i release clutch pedal here since im dropping 3 gears but not necessary technically) , blip throttle for rev match (then i clutch in again), shift into gear (3rd is my fav as long as under 70 or so; know your gears limits!), press the s+, and wot :vtec:

aside from this the s+ i never use it and was a bit disappointed as this was kind of a determining factor to go for the 2013 crz instead of a used 11 or 12 to save some $$ .not the only factor, but it definitely went into consideration. with that said im still glad i have it for the above scenario.
i would imagine it to be more useful in the cvt a bit...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I almost never use the S+. I generally drive in normal for my short commute, and it turns out I have no trouble hitting highway speed on the on-ramp in normal. S+ would be a good way to plow into the minivan that is inevitably in front of me. :glare:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I almost never use it. It's really a nearly useless feature. Simply more effective to be in sport or normal mode, down shift, and accelerate. Glowy buttons seem to impress people though. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts