Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try and contain my rage.

In my former CR-Z I had tons of bass from the stock subwoofer. Probably not enough for some people, but plenty enough for me. I always ran the system as flat on the bass, but the subwoofer level maxed out. It kept me happy for 2.5 years.

Now I have a brand new CR-Z with what I'm assuming should be the same subwoofer and I have zero bass. I pump the subwoofer to max and still no bass. I pump the bass level all the way up and still no bass.

I go back to the subwoofer and can feel it vibrating, but I'm not getting any thump whatsoever.

I took the car in for service yesterday and the dealership is telling me the subwoofer is functioning as designed. I convinced a tech that something was seriously wrong with it and he was going to order a new one for me today, but now the service manager is saying we need to compare it side-by-side with another 2013. Is anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't have a 2011 to compare but I definitely can hear/feel the sub. Its not quite like an aftermarket nor is is meant to be, but it is good enough for the trance I listen to.

Comparing side by side to another 2013 sounds like the best way to see if its properly functioning. Just be sure you play the same song from the same device (USB, iPhone, aux) with the same settings so you have a steady control for testing. An iPod would be ideal because you can test it through the USB and aux, in case its a faulty input.

If you want to test it further by yourself for cheap, android (and I'm sure iOS as well) has many free frequency generators. Fade it all the way to the rear (unhook non-sub rears for best results, but not necessarily required) and run the app, lowering it one step at a time. Listen carefully at each step for popping, cracking, inconsistencies or distortion. If you are within the frequency response rating for the subwoofer (spec needed), you should have next to none of these problems. If it does your sub is likely damaged.

I hear that putting the fader a few clicks towards the rear will give it more THUMP, and there's many who have stuffed the enclosure with poly fill for a deeper sound. There's a great DIY thread on that here, which I'll be testing myself soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Triptych. That's a great idea about using a frequency generator from my phone! That takes nearly all subjectivity out of the equation.

I'm glad to hear a fellow trance listener is happy with their stock sub because that means something is definitely wrong with mine. I couldn't imagine Honda would make their subwoofer worse for 2013.

I'm on tapatalk and don't know what trim level you have. Is it EX or EX NAVI?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Let us know what you find out. Also, someone post the freq rating for the sub if you can find it. I couldn't after some limited Google-Fu from the tablet, but I could try again.

Trance FTW!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to reply here.. I had a new 2013 EX no nav and the bass was excellent

I had to switch to the EX model with Nav because I just had to have Bluetooth streaming audio..

The first thing I noticed was a serious lack of bass in the model with Nav.. it must have to be some limitation in the Nav head unit controls for the Sub.. it's very weak in comparison to the non Nav model.. I am sad

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'm saving a more detailed reply for tomorrow, but just have to say this...

I went into the dealership today to compare with another CR-Z like the service manager requested. The other car (a 2012 CR-Z EX NAVI) was thumping like crazy. We played the same song in my car and no thump. I showed him how changing the subwoofer level had no impact on the bass heard in my car. We checked to see that the sub was working and it was. If we upped the level, you could go back to the sub and feel the difference, so why wasn't the bass getting louder?

After doing a lot of testing I made a few discoveries:

1) Turn fader to front speakers, sub off -- Music sounds good and has a tiny amount of thump
2) Turn fader to rear speakers, sub off -- Music has zero bass, appears to be crossovered with sub
3) Turn fader to rear speakers, sub on -- Music is somewhat quieter than front speakers, but has nice thump
4) Turn fader back to all speakers, sub on -- Music is louder, but thump is lost

My theory is a simple one. I believe that there is a phase problem in the audio system. The bass coming from the front speakers is opposite phase from the subwoofer. Which speakers are out of phase is not able to be determined without checking wiring, but I'm assuming it is the subwoofer that is misaligned. The bass from the front speakers is canceling out the bass from the subwoofer and vice versa. Instead of adding 1+1=2, we are subtracting 1-1=0.

The service manager acknowledged that there was a clear difference between the sound in each vehicle. He told me they were going to look into the issue further and call me back either today or tomorrow after talking with Honda Tech. I'm awaiting that phone call for now.

I'm hoping they fix the problem directly to avoid possible future warranty issues, but if they aren't going to fix it, I will be forced to dig into the trunk and swap polarity on the sub myself because having no bass is just a straight up tragedy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very detailed and valuable information! I am glad I am not alone on this one. Please let's both follow up with Honda on this and keep each other posted.

My testing on my own has been similar.. your theory seems sound

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have not heard back from the dealer. I will give them until Monday before I start with the phone calls.

Given the amount of technology going on with the head unit it is possible there may end up being a firmware update that will alleviate the problem assuming that this matter is affecting every 2013 EX NAVI. So far I just know about mine and yours. Any updates will be posted to this thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah we both had the benefit of direct comparison between non Nav and Nav models.. most don't and therefore wouldn't notice it as being so much weaker.

But I noticed it right away day one

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad news. The dealer is telling me that Honda says there are no known problems with the audio system. They are asking me to AGAIN go to the dealer to compare with another car, but this time with a 2013, not a 2012. They didn't have another 2013 EX NAVI before, so I don't know what we're going to compare it with.

I think they're essentially saying, "If Honda says it's ok, it's ok" regardless of reality.

I'm thoroughly disgusted with how gutless the stereo sounds compared with my 2011. Honda, you really f*cked this one up.

Updates will follow.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I have noticed a difference between AUX and USB connection with my iPhone. If I am connected via AUX and turn the iPhone headphone output all the way up, I get significantly better bass output than if I'm connected via the USB port.

Eventually I'll get everything together as far as testing, but just wanted to share that tidbit with anyone having the same problem.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the eq on the iPhone? Not sure if it has a gain but if you raise each band a few notches and then adjust to your liking from your new baseline it might help.

The aux location bothers me I wish it was in the compartment with the USB. There's really no way to use it without having a tangled cable all up in your shīt.

Oh, I installed some polyfill in the sub compartment. Can't say if it helped or not because I broke 2 panel clips in the process and now it sounds like a vibrator on top of a bucket of screws. I looked up the part numbers and there's 3 different clips on one panel??? Would anyone know which sizes I need?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Bump that COMPLAIN like hell to Honda America. I mean if a dealer can see whats going on and can confirm that to Honda they outta fix the damn problem. I take your going through Hondacare? I know I had some issues with my Accord Hybrid the dealer was able to reproduce the problem, but Hondacare came back with no other reports bla bla bla. The dealer actually backed me and Hondacare eventually authorized the dealer to fix the issue. This after I was on the phone with countless Hondacare managers while at the dealer. It was something with the automatic locks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought my 2013 ex w/o navi 3 weeks ago, and my system didn't have much bass, volume or clarity. In the last few days I've really notice sum drastic improvement in all three areas of sound. I've driven a little over a thousand miles in that time frame. The speakers needed time to break in and realize their potential. I have read somewhere before that the back speakers don't contribute much to the sound system.
I listen to my music fairly loudly on a regular basis and I use these settings bass -3 treble +3 and sub +6, all other settings 0.
You may be experiencing something different than a "break in period", and if so you may just have to replace the entire system to get the sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried adjusting the eq on the iPhone?
There is not an EQ on the iPhone (that I've ever heard of), but I don't think that would work around this problem anyway.

Bump that COMPLAIN like hell to Honda America. I mean if a dealer can see whats going on and can confirm that to Honda they outta fix the damn problem. I take your going through Hondacare?
I've been working directly with the dealer. I'm not sure what level I could take it to beyond there. How did you get in contact with Honda America?

I bought my 2013 ex w/o navi 3 weeks ago, and my system didn't have much bass, volume or clarity. In the last few days I've really notice sum drastic improvement in all three areas of sound. I've driven a little over a thousand miles in that time frame. The speakers needed time to break in and realize their potential. I have read somewhere before that the back speakers don't contribute much to the sound system.
I listen to my music fairly loudly on a regular basis and I use these settings bass -3 treble +3 and sub +6, all other settings 0.
You may be experiencing something different than a "break in period", and if so you may just have to replace the entire system to get the sound you are looking for.
My 2011 had no such break-in period for the audio system. It sounded as good the day I bought it as it did on the day I traded it in. It's ridiculous to change out the whole system as it should be comparable to the 2011 which was perfect for me.

UPDATE:

As I suspected, I arrived at the dealership this morning to compare with another 2013 only to discover they only had 2 2013's on the lot and they were both base models. I was then told that we have to wait until the dealer gets another 2013 EX NAVI in stock and then we can compare them. I asked how long this might take and was told "maybe a month or two". WTF?

I'm disgusted with the entire process and am really disappointed in Honda. There is a clear problem with my car and no one is willing to investigate further than "there are no known issues". I should've kept my 2011. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel your pain, I really do. I was suggesting that Honda change out the entire system, but it appears as if they are unwilling to even try :cursing:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah, I'm just done with this sh*t.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's extremely frustrating.. the more calls to Honda the better.. I'll call and create a case tomorrow as well
:thumbup:

If any lurkers out there are having problems but don't want to post, at least complain to your dealer so we can sort this mess as soon as possible. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will call on monday. The lack of bass is laughable. The 'dimension' audio in my hyundai absolutely blew the ex sound system out of the water. I love the cr-z except for the audio. As a professional bassist with synesthesia, I NEED MAH BASS.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts