Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I'm Tim and a proud single owner of a 2013 CR-Z 6MT with 53k miles. I haven't been on the forums much (as a former Integra owner this shocked even me) as I haven't paid the car off fully to really go all out, and I generally haven't had any issues. That is until now...

We had the snow here last week, the first snowstorm I've ever driven in with the car, and ever since the snow my car started making this whining noise. The weird part is it doesn't do it at all in first gear. It does it REALLY bad in 2nd, followed by 3rd and 6th as second worst (not nearly as bad) and then all the other gears it is faint but noticeable. The car does not whine at all when out of gear, or just running. There is no grinding noises, but the whine is slowly starting to sound like a whine+scrub almost. I never get the impression I'm losing power intermittently or anything like that, so maybe thats a good thing? When it first started a few days ago the sound almost reminded me of what my cold air intake sounded like on my integra, but it seems to be louder now and sounds less pleasant.

With such low miles on a Honda I don't even know where to begin (especially a manual). The only reason I even think its the transmission is because it only happens in gear, but I could be terribly wrong.

I have a 600 mile trip this weekend and am in desperate need of any advice as I unfortunately have limited time to get the car up to the task. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hey Everyone!

I'm Tim and a proud single owner of a 2013 CR-Z 6MT with 53k miles. I haven't been on the forums much (as a former Integra owner this shocked even me) as I haven't paid the car off fully to really go all out, and I generally haven't had any issues. That is until now...

We had the snow here last week, the first snowstorm I've ever driven in with the car, and ever since the snow my car started making this whining noise. The weird part is it doesn't do it at all in first gear. It does it REALLY bad in 2nd, followed by 3rd and 6th as second worst (not nearly as bad) and then all the other gears it is faint but noticeable. The car does not whine at all when out of gear, or just running. There is no grinding noises, but the whine is slowly starting to sound like a whine+scrub almost. I never get the impression I'm losing power intermittently or anything like that, so maybe thats a good thing? When it first started a few days ago the sound almost reminded me of what my cold air intake sounded like on my integra, but it seems to be louder now and sounds less pleasant.

With such low miles on a Honda I don't even know where to begin (especially a manual). The only reason I even think its the transmission is because it only happens in gear, but I could be terribly wrong.

I have a 600 mile trip this weekend and am in desperate need of any advice as I unfortunately have limited time to get the car up to the task. What do you guys think?
Have you had the trans fluid drained / filled at all? How cold has it been in your area?

My car started making a high pitch whining sound the other day too (was -20F here for like a week), but pretty sure it was my intake, and was very high pitched.

Did you turn all your heat / blower motor etc off and hear the sound still?
Does the sound happen while sitting still, or only while the car is moving?
Does the sound go away when you press on the clutch pedal?

Try to eliminate other stuff and see if you still hear the sound. Maybe get us a recording?

I will send you a link for the factory service manual as well. Might be able to do a bit more diagnosing yourself.

Btw: I seriously doubt its your trans. Mine has 175k miles on it and has no issues. My guess would be power steering, intake, or some other weird noise going on. Just need to do a bit more diagnosing.

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
I'd go with the fluid replacement too (Honda brand fluid only.) Other than what d1giPhux suggested, look for the sound at the same RPM's--is it related to RPM, or just certain gears in all ranges of RPM's? Shifts in and out of gear(s) with no problem? Could be a vibration of some other component that only seems to be "related" to gear selection because of the engine/drivetran speed.(?) 53,000 miles too soon for any trans problems, but regardless, if the fluid hasn't been changed yet, I'd be putting that on the list in the near future.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
+1 on the changing the trans fluid. Always important, no matter how old the fluid may or may not be. Oil is oil. Always good to change it.

Also, with so few miles.. is the car still under any type of warantee? If so, my first stop would be to the shop to have them check it out (for free).

·
Registered
53 Posts
How’s it now? Mine’s starting to do it too. Notably in 5th & 6th at mid to high rpm.
Mines on 56k
Strange for Honda boxes!

·
Registered
156 Posts
All your gears are engaging and it drives fine with the exception of the whine noise.

To me is sounds like what most people describe when their throw out bearing in a manual transmission set up starts to go bad.

If your car is engaging in all gears, and the car does not feel like the clutch is slipping, then my guess would be the throw out bearing is just going out.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
sounds a lot more like gear whine to me... replace your MTF with OEM fluid. it's on amazon for about the same as knock-off brands at the parts stores.

I was getting a little bit of whine that went away after the MTF change.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
sounds a lot more like gear whine to me... replace your MTF with OEM fluid. it's on amazon for about the same as knock-off brands at the parts stores.

I was getting a little bit of whine that went away after the MTF change.
I had the fluid changed about 2 years ago? At the dealership..

Think it's gone bad already?

I need to make a good video of the sound. It's hard to hear, but I can almost feel it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts