Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all just purchased a 2011 CVT with 80K miles it’s been serviced at Honda Dealers since 25K miles (guessing owner took to shop or dealer forgot to add maintenance to carfax.) I am curious do I have anything to worry about with the CVT? I thought Honda built a pretty solid CVT transmission. I was scrolling through forums and saw some gnarly stories about them going out. I’m pretty sure the fluids been changed a few times I pulled dip stick and it was very light translucent brown. For my sake as I am going bonkers I have a fluid change scheduled with dealer this week. But curious will this CVT be reliable. Carfax just says “recommended maintenance completed at 33K miles” nothing about fluid change.

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
311 Posts
I am pretty harsh on my CVT and i haven't seen any hiccups yet. Mine is at 66k miles. I haven't changed the CVT fluid since i bought it at ~50k.

They aren't designed to handle much torque but they have a bunch of electronic interference to make sure you never go over the maximum allowed.

If you are worried about it, i think there is a service where you can send in an oil sample and they will give you a health estimate. I've never tried them.

Personally, it's never worried me as if it did blow up it's only $100 for a tow and $350 for a used one. Still wish i found a manual 😔👏

· Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
359 Posts
Honda's CVTs are great quality, I just hope my supercharger isn't putting too much stress on it. I'm now changing out the CVT oil every 30k miles, and the engine oil every 3-4k miles.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
For the CVT, we in this group recommend following the minder or changing the fluid and the filter at the back of the radiator, listed as a radiator part about every 30 K miles. As for oil, I change by minder or once a year. I see no reason even if using forced induction to change it any more frequently, modern oils especially full synthetics do not wear out or lose additives like older non synthetics did. Just make sure to use the specified 0W20 oil.

Changing oil ever 3k to 4K is very old thinking and not needed anymore with modern oils

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Hello all just purchased a 2011 CVT with 80K miles it’s been serviced at Honda Dealers since 25K miles (guessing owner took to shop or dealer forgot to add maintenance to carfax.) I am curious do I have anything to worry about with the CVT? I thought Honda built a pretty solid CVT transmission. I was scrolling through forums and saw some gnarly stories about them going out. I’m pretty sure the fluids been changed a few times I pulled dip stick and it was very light translucent brown. For my sake as I am going bonkers I have a fluid change scheduled with dealer this week. But curious will this CVT be reliable. Carfax just says “recommended maintenance completed at 33K miles” nothing about fluid change.
The CARFAX is only as reliable as the people who put in the information. All you can really do on that end is Hope that the previous owners took care of it. You got what you got. You may have one of the few that has issues or you may have and most likely do have one of the more common reliably built ones. Follow the maintenance schedule and don't drive like an asshat.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The CARFAX is only as reliable as the people who put in the information. All you can really do on that end is Hope that the previous owners took care of it. You got what you got. You may have one of the few that has issues or you may have and most likely do have one of the more common reliably built ones. Follow the maintenance schedule and don't drive like an asshat.
There is a sticker on the back window from a Honda dealer that says “preferred customer” I’m assuming that means they took it in quite a bit. I also found a non hobo CD in it hopefully that means it’s an older person who owned it. It’s a one owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts