Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Honda decided to lower the price of the Insight and lose a couple features from the LX... so lets call this one the Base Insight... the Base loses the features from the LX:
  • Factory Security System
  • Cruise Control
  • Center Armrest w/storage

i won't list what was ADDED to all of the Insights but they did get a few new standard features...

found here http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5766
Honda PR said:
2011 Honda Insight Lineup Gains Standard Features and a New Entry Model
November 30 2010
Gateway product to hybrid technology becomes even more affordable

Going on sale today, the 2011 Honda Insight hybrid gains new standard features and the addition of a value-oriented entry model that offers enhanced value, exclusive content and a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starting at $18,200, plus a destination and handling charge1 of $750.

The range of Insight models for 2011 now starts with a new value-oriented base model, simply designated as "Insight." As before, the well-equipped "Insight LX" continues to be available, yet with additional features, along with the top-of-the-line "Insight EX," which continues to be available with the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™. All Insight models are equipped with Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) for 2011, which was previously exclusive to the Insight EX.

The new Insight base model includes remote entry and has exclusive content compared to the other models consisting of unique seating fabric and a basic audio system with CD player and two speakers. The Insight LX gains features for 2011, adding cruise control, a USB audio interface, center armrest storage console and floor mats. The Insight EX adds to the LX features with steering wheel-mounted audio controls (previously exclusive to the Insight EX when equipped with navigation).

The distinctively styled, five-passenger, five-door dedicated hybrid vehicle is powered by an Integrated Motor Assist™ (IMA™) system comprised of a 1.3-liter i VTEC® gasoline engine and a 10-kilowatt electric motor that together contribute to an EPA-estimated city/highway/combined fuel economy rating of 40/43/41 miles per gallon2. The Insight features the Ecological Drive Assist System (Eco Assist™), an innovation that can enhance efficient vehicle operation while providing feedback related to individual driving styles.

A sleek exterior features a highly aerodynamic side profile with a front-end design similar to the hydrogen-powered FCX Clarity, a marquee environmental vehicle for Honda. The interior offers a roomy passenger environment with a configurable rear seating and cargo area enhanced by 60/40 split fold-down seats.

Major features standard to the Insight include front, front-side and side-curtain airbags; VSA; an anti-lock braking system; a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT); Eco Assist; automatic climate control; tilt-and-telescope steering column; manual driver's seat height adjustment; power windows; an AM/FM audio system with CD player and two speakers; an auxiliary audio input for external digital music players; and much more.

The Insight LX adds or replaces to the Insight with cruise control (new to LX), a four-speaker audio system, USB audio interface (new to LX), armrest console (new to LX), floor mats (new to LX) and a security system.

The Insight EX adds or replaces to the Insight LX features with alloy wheels; steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters; an audio system with six speakers; heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals; and much more. Exclusively available on the Insight EX, the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System3 (6.5-inch screen) with voice recognition provides routing and guidance to individual addresses and more than 7 million points of interest within the continental United States. Models equipped with the navigation system also include Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® for hands-free operation of compatible mobile telephones, along with related steering wheel-mounted controls for voice activation of the navigation and hands-free telephone systems.

A 1.3-liter, 4-cylinder engine with Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (i-VTEC) and a DC brushless electric motor forms the foundation of the IMA hybrid system. The electric motor, positioned in-line between the engine and the transmission, adds power during acceleration and in certain cruising situations, and recaptures energy from the vehicle's forward momentum during braking (regenerative braking).

The Insight's IMA system has the capability to operate exclusively on electric power in certain low- to mid-speed cruising conditions. It can also provide cylinder deactivation during deceleration and an idle-stop feature when the vehicle is stationary. With a 10.6-gallon fuel tank, the Insight delivers an estimated maximum driving range exceeding 400 miles. Models for sale in California and states that have adopted the California Air Resources Board (CARB) ZEV standards receive an Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV) emissions rating.

The Insight uses Eco Assist to help drivers improve fuel efficiency, both by altering vehicle functionality and providing driver feedback, with fuel-economy dependent on their given set of driving conditions. Pressing the ECON button can further enhance the efficiency of multiple vehicle systems: throttle control, CVT operation, idle-stop duration, air conditioning and cruise-control operation (if equipped). Eco Assist also provides feedback about driving style via a 3D-appearing background within the speedometer. The background changes colors from green to blue to reflect how efficiently or inefficiently the driver is accelerating or braking (green = efficient). The driver's results are continuously tracked as fuel efficiency ratings are shown per drive cycle and on a lifetime basis in the form of plant-leaf graphics that appear in the Multi-Information Display (MID). Up to five leaves can be 'earned' as the driver demonstrates a fuel-efficient driving style. A real-time score is shown in the Eco Guide MID screen.

Standard safety features on all Insights include dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags; front-side airbags with a passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS); side-curtain airbag system; anti-lock brakes with electronic brake distribution (EBD); driver's and front-passenger's active head restraints; and a front body designed to mitigate pedestrian injuries. All new Insights also feature Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, which provides improved occupant protection and crash compatibility between vehicles of different sizes and ride heights in frontal crashes.

Honda is a leader in developing cleaner, more fuel-efficient vehicle technologies, including the original Honda Insight, introduced as America's first mass-produced hybrid car in December 1999. Honda is also a leader in the development of advanced alternatives to gasoline, including the zero-emission, hydrogen-powered FCX Clarity fuel-cell electric car, the world's most-advanced production fuel cell automobile.

Honda's diverse lineup of environmental vehicles also includes the Civic GX compressed natural gas-powered (CNG) sedan, the only retail CNG vehicle currently available from any automaker in the U.S., and three distinct gasoline-electric hybrid models: Civic Hybrid, CR-Z sport hybrid and Insight hybrid.
Pricing and EPA figures:
Honda PR said:
Model Transmission MSRP* EPA** City/Hwy/Combined
Insight CVT $18,200 40/43/41
Insight LX CVT $19,900 40/43/41
Insight EX CVT $21,490 40/43/41
Insight EX with Navigation CVT $23,265 40/43/41
*MSRP excluding tax, license, registration, $750.00 destination charge and options. Dealer prices may vary.
**Based on 2011 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
This makes one wonder, why not just come out with a standard 5-speed manual transmission and lower the price even more?? i mean the CR-Z 6MT is $650 cheaper than the CVT model... let's say just $500 came off of the already reduced $18,200 MSRP... that would put it at $17,700... that is certainly a lot more appealing to some people than the prices of them now... heck, they wouldn't even have to make it sporty... they can use the same ratios the CVT simulates and even drop slightly in EPA figures and it still would be appealing for a sub-$18k HYBRID???

·
Registered
693 Posts
Pricing and EPA figures:

This makes one wonder, why not just come out with a standard 5-speed manual transmission and lower the price even more?? i mean the CR-Z 6MT is $650 cheaper than the CVT model... let's say just $500 came off of the already reduced $18,200 MSRP... that would put it at $17,700... that is certainly a lot more appealing to some people than the prices of them now... heck, they wouldn't even have to make it sporty... they can use the same ratios the CVT simulates and even drop slightly in EPA figures and it still would be appealing for a sub-$18k HYBRID???

I think the main issue with developing a manual transmission insight would be the 4 mpg lower fuel economy of a manual would hurt it's reputation as a high fuel economy car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Having driven the Gen II Insight I can tell you that the car is not up to the usual Honda standards. The car lacks that Honda feel and finish. Lowering the price isn't the issue Honda should be addressing. They should count their losses on the Gen II Insight and move on to something new. Removing a few features doesn't change anything. A duck is always a duck no matter how many feathers it has.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda can develop a set of gears that gets the same or more mpg than the CVT... not to mention, real-world figures surely prove the CR-Z gets better than EPA... and even if they made it slightly less efficient, a drop i 1-2 mpg isn't that bad IMO...

i just think the Insight would sell more if they offered a 5/6MT...

Having driven the Gen II Insight I can tell you that the car is not up to the usual Honda standards. The car lacks that Honda feel and finish. Lowering the price isn't the issue Honda should be addressing. They should count their losses on the Gen II Insight and move on to something new. Removing a few features doesn't change anything. A duck is always a duck no matter how many feathers it has.
what issues are you referring to?? i only found the back seats a bit small... but other than that, the car is nice...

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Meh.

Really sums up the Insight. Decent on it's own but nothing compared to the competition. For the same ballpark price you don't have to give up USB, speakers, or allow wheels with a Chevy Cruze Eco.
the Cruze is supposed to compete with Civic/Corolla/Focus/etc and it's only selling at a rate of around 5k units/month... i'd be interested to see real-world mpg figures on that one is... as it stands right now at 28c/42h/35combined... that's still not as impressive as the Insights 40c/43h/41combined (did i mention that was tested in normal mode and not "Econ" where you will get better mpg?)...

standard features are pretty closely matched too... no Cruze (pun lol) control on either vehicle standard... no option for navigation on the Cruze Eco (at least the Insight can be upgraded to EX-Navi model)... $100 to add a spare tire on the Cruze... the Cruze Eco also has a smaller gas tank (12.6 US gallons) than the Cruze in every other trim (15.6 US gallons)... i guess that was to help lower weight and get the mpg to go up :p

they both are similarly priced... the Cruze Eco does have more space and a few things that give it the advantage over the Insight at the lower trims... but once you add features to the Cruze Eco, you're looking at the same price for the Insight LX... at that point the 2-speaker thing isn't so much of an issue...

on another note... since the topic of speakers came up... why didn't Honda just add the premium sound to the EX? ie: 360watt 7-speaker system?? that just should've been a given to add that in there...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was tempted to get an Insight, so we would have some sort of sedan. After a test drive though, I wasn't impressed. We had a Prius before and it is definetly better (aside from the traction control and braking control problems they wont fix). I'm so glad I got my CRZ. Too bad the Insight couldnt be the four door version of a CRZ...

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was tempted to get an Insight, so we would have some sort of sedan. After a test drive though, I wasn't impressed. We had a Prius before and it is definetly better (aside from the traction control and braking control problems they wont fix). I'm so glad I got my CRZ. Too bad the Insight couldnt be the four door version of a CRZ...
you should look out for the 2012 HCHIII (Honda Civic Hybrid 3)... it's supposed to be competing directly with the Prius in terms of mpg... it will also use the newer li-ion batteries and a more powerful electric motor...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
the Cruze is supposed to compete with Civic/Corolla/Focus/etc and it's only selling at a rate of around 5k units/month... i'd be interested to see real-world mpg figures on that one is... as it stands right now at 28c/42h/35combined... that's still not as impressive as the Insights 40c/43h/41combined (did i mention that was tested in normal mode and not "Econ" where you will get better mpg?)...
Americans pay attention to marketing. American also prefer sedans (although hatchbacks are growing in popularity as of late). Insight has been a sales failure thus car and adding a cheap trim line isn't going to do much....

...Unless gas prices continue to rise.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd be interested to see real-world mpg figures on that one is... as it stands right now at 28c/42h/35combined
Fwiw, the EPA combined mpg number isn't the average of city and highway. It should be weighted more for city.

The equation is
combined = 1 / ( (0.55/city) + (0.45/hwy) )

Which for the example above would rate as 32.9 mpg combined.

Remember all the noise when the V6 Mustang was announced with 31mpg? It's city number was only 19 mpg which brings the combined number down to a mediocre 23 mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.