Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2011 Honda CR-Z, Brake Override Both on Their Way to Honda Customers

Honda has run into a number of challenges so far in 2010, including sales that are lagging the industry and a major delay to its next-generation Honda Civic program. But the company is planning to turn things around by launching a number of potential customer satisfiers in the coming months, including the 2011 Honda CR-Z.

The all-new hybrid is slated to go on sale later this summer, and Honda will continue to build excitement around its launch by debuting it at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles on June 15. The annual event is a major tradeshow for the video-gaming industry, providing an ideal venue for reaching the CR-Z's target audience.

With a design that Honda calls "evocative of video games," the CR-Z features a futuristic appearance, both inside and out. The exterior showcases a bold wedge-shaped look that gives the car an aggressive, forward-leaning stance, while the interior is a high-tech masterpiece that looks like it comes right out of a cutting-edge driving simulator.

Notably, the CR-Z also will bring Honda's hallmark approach to dynamic driving to a whole new segment. The industry's first sport hybrid coupe even offers a "Sport" driving mode that adjusts the CR-Z for performance driving. Once drivers engage the "Sport" mode, the car automatically optimizes engine throttle response, steering effort, electric-motor power assist functionality and more. Yet with a continuously variable transmission, the car still boasts an impressive EPA rating of 36 mpg city/38 mpg highway.

The CR-Z will be the automaker's second dedicated hybrid to go on sale in the U.S. in the past year, following the Honda Insight. The affordable, practical Insight can attain EPA ratings of 40 mpg city/43 mpg highway and is available with a base MSRP of under $20,000. The car has been gaining traction in the U.S. market, with sales up almost 160 percent through April.

In addition, Honda also recently announced that it would begin introducing its new brake-override technology—"Brake Priority Logic"—on both Honda and Acura products beginning in late August.

The system is designed as a response to the increasing public concern about vehicle-braking functionality. With brake override, the engine is shut off entirely when a driver presses both the gas and brake pedal at the same time, helping to control the vehicle and bring it to a safe stop.

According to Honda, Brake Priority Logic will be available on its entire U.S. lineup, including Acura models, by the end of 2011.

Article Found At: 2011 Honda CR-Z, Brake Override Both on Their Way to Honda Customers

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
"the engine is shut off entirely when a driver presses both the gas and brake pedal at the same time" I hope it will be on AT only. Can't imagine that I actually shut down the engine when I do heel and toe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"the engine is shut off entirely when a driver presses both the gas and brake pedal at the same time" I hope it will be on AT only. Can't imagine that I actually shut down the engine when I do heel and toe.
On my own CR-Z, which has the 6-speed manual box, the engine cuts out below a certain speed when you engage neutral. So, in normal traffic, you have two options when coming to a spot at traffic lights, for example. You can engage neutral from sixth and glide to a stop: and the engine cuts out automatically, so long as you are in neutral. Or you can go down through the gears, with engine breaking--and recharging the battery, until you stop. The engine will stop if you keep your foot on the brake and clutch. It starts again as soon as you engage first gear.

I note that the Brake Priority Logic is not aimed at the Japanese market.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Press the brake with your foot on the gas, then quickly "reset" the gas pedal to 0% and then back to wherever it was before. It'll still keep the throttle plate open while you're braking. No use to anything really.

Unfortunately there's no way to keep it from unsettling the car in a turn. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.