Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Great result! and all congratulations to you.

Unless there are un-revealed details to your abuse tales, I still don't see how you could get that bearing to fail. Hopefully a one-in-a-bazillion fluke.

Thanks for the pics along the way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed information. Do you mind if I post this on the http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/27969-abc-s-cr-z.html ?

Thanks!

You're welcome. Sure, post this anywhere you like.

Great result! and all congratulations to you.

Unless there are un-revealed details to your abuse tales, I still don't see how you could get that bearing to fail. Hopefully a one-in-a-bazillion fluke.

Thanks for the pics along the way.
Thank you, perhaps using my CRZ to tow my motorcycle around was the culprit to the broken bearing.

The trailer and motorcycle totaled about 650 pounds and my weight at 160. I just figured that 800 pounds would be ok. The CRZ towed the bike and trailer just fine. But who knows.

When I use the CRZ to tow I drive very slow and cautiously. However when not using the CRZ to tow, I do drive the car hard so I kind of expected something to fail at some point.

Towing my Ducati. The crz has no problems towing it. I never drove past 60mph while towing and I towed in sport mode. Perhaps to much strain causing the bearing to break?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also I took the original transmission parts to a metal scrap yard and they gave me a whopping ... $12.40 for the weight in metal LOL

So basically I turned my original transmission into lunch because I bought something to eat after and it cost me $11.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Yeah, scrap is seldom worth the trip. Unless you're a meth head with a load of copper.

I can't see the trailer being the issue, although you're never supposed to tow with FWD, and especially when your owner's manual says "NO".

Closest I got to a Duc was an 860 Touring, but wound up with my GS1000S instead. So it goes.

Nothing should have caused that bearing to go, unless it was just one that missed the tolerances someplace. It'd be so over-engineered for the location that there's a reason it's the only one we've heard of going bad on this forum.

Cripes, I go 300 alone, but don't punish cars the way I used to. I still got a quarter-million out of my '69 Datsun 2000, on three engines and two transmissions. There's ways to be brutal with cars while still being smooth.

At 60K on my first Z, I had no sensations of it becoming used until I got its 8-mile replacement. The difference still astounds me.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Might have to do this soon myself.

Would this be possible without a lift? How about without help?

I have the factory service manual. Any shortcuts you used to save time?

Also, I kept seeing cvt in your posts, but this was a 6mt trans right?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
@ d1giPhux

My friend and I did this on the ground, no lift, we dropped the transmission from the bottom.

So yes it is possible. Without help mmmmmm I wouldn't recommend doing this solo unless you're a master tech. I am an intermediate/advanced mechanic and I don't think I could have done it myself at least not in one day.

Some shortcuts was just the power tools and taking off the subframe to gain clearance.

My transmission is a CVT (automatic).

If you have a manual its possible that a clutch kit replacement is all you need? You know, throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch disk? Maybe someone else can share their experience with you. I mean unless you have teeth missing on some of the gears or even your spline shaft then you would have to replace or rebuild the entire gear box. Which is beyond just the clutch kit.

Our transmissions are very different. Lucky for you a when a manual transmission start to slip or fail its usually as simple as just getting a clutch kit, remove the cover of the manual transmission and replace the parts, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and clutch disk.

When a CVT (automatic) fails you need to replace the entire transmission or rebuild it.

I am pretty sure what I am telling you is accurate, if I am wrong someone please explain why. I would feel bad if I am giving incorrect advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
@ d1giPhux

My friend and I did this on the ground, no lift, we dropped the transmission from the bottom.

So yes it is possible. Without help mmmmmm I wouldn't recommend doing this solo unless you're a master tech. I am an intermediate/advanced mechanic and I don't think I could have done it myself at least not in one day.

Some shortcuts was just the power tools and taking off the subframe to gain clearance.

My transmission is a CVT (automatic).

If you have a manual its possible that a clutch kit replacement is all you need? You know, throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch disk? Maybe someone else can share their experience with you. I mean unless you have teeth missing on some of the gears or even your spline shaft then you would have to replace or rebuild the entire gear box. Which is beyond just the clutch kit.

Our transmissions are very different. Lucky for you a when a manual transmission start to slip or fail its usually as simple as just getting a clutch kit, remove the cover of the manual transmission and replace the parts, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and clutch disk.

When a CVT (automatic) fails you need to replace the entire transmission or rebuild it.

I am pretty sure what I am telling you is accurate, if I am wrong someone please explain why. I would feel bad if I am giving incorrect advice.

Thanks
Thanks for the tips!! My trans is progressively getting louder and louder. Whats strange is, honda dealership said it was the clutch going. Which, I believe. But the clutch itself feels fine. No slipping, nothing. Shifts fine. Just makes a weird noise in first / second gear. Growling metal kinda sound..

But, with 180k, it sounds reasonable it will need a new clutch soon. I will most likely have to do this myself since I can't really afford the $1200 install price + $800 parts.

·
Red&Black
5,980 Posts
Thanks for the tips!! My trans is progressively getting louder and louder. Whats strange is, honda dealership said it was the clutch going. Which, I believe. But the clutch itself feels fine. No slipping, nothing. Shifts fine. Just makes a weird noise in first / second gear. Growling metal kinda sound..

But, with 180k, it sounds reasonable it will need a new clutch soon. I will most likely have to do this myself since I can't really afford the $1200 install price + $800 parts.
My boyfriend just had his manual transmission on his CRZ rebuilt, I think itÂ’s called (IÂ’m a CVT girl). All his bearing were replaced, I donÂ’t think any gears. The car sounded god awful before he had it done. Like something was rattling around and metal on metal and it got louder when accelerating. He had a dealership do it and they took it apart and suggested replacing all bearings, that did he trick for him. I think heÂ’s around 90,000 miles. We both blame the previous owner, considering the poor shape the car was in when he bought it...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My boyfriend just had his manual transmission on his CRZ rebuilt, I think itÂ’s called (IÂ’m a CVT girl). All his bearing were replaced, I donÂ’t think any gears. The car sounded god awful before he had it done. Like something was rattling around and metal on metal and it got louder when accelerating. He had a dealership do it and they took it apart and suggested replacing all bearings, that did he trick for him. I think heÂ’s around 90,000 miles. We both blame the previous owner, considering the poor shape the car was in when he bought it...
Any idea what he paid to have this done? I was thinking the same thing.. might be a good idea to have the shop rebuild the tranny while its out of the car. Hmmm..

Did he have them pull it too, or did he pull it himself?

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
Any idea what he paid to have this done? I was thinking the same thing.. might be a good idea to have the shop rebuild the tranny while its out of the car. Hmmm..

Did he have them pull it too, or did he pull it himself?

If you already have it out of the car and have the service manual, tools and skills it is a good Idea to replace any worn parts or have it done.:smile2:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts