Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone just wanted to share with you that I have a 2011 CRZ and my transmission at around 115k miles had a strange whining sound that progressively got louder as I accumulated more miles on the car.

I do regular transmission fluid changes and change the inline filter about every 45k.

I drive this car like a maniac, meaning I drive it hard often. So I expected this transmission to fail at some point.

The car has 130k miles on it and the transmission now sounds like it has metal to metal sounds grinding in drive and reverse. When the car is in park or neutral the sound goes away.

I will post a video to try an capture the sound for you guys.

I bought a transmission from LKQ for $371 they said the transmission is from a 2015 Honda CRZ and has 65k when it was pulled. It comes with a 6 month warranty as well.

Today I am going to have a friend help me install the new transmission

I will take pictures and let you guys know how it goes.

I would say I am an intermediate to advanced level mechanic and my friend is a former master tech at Nissan with many years of experience.

We are going to attempt to remove and replace this transmission Friday November 17 2017.

If anyone has replaced their transmission before and can share some tips that might help me with this, I would appreciate it.

I will post pics of the progress and let you know how it goes.

This will be an informative thread to help people who may need to replace their transmissions and also anyone that has already done this please share your experience.

I will need to buy some things at honda tomorrow
Rear Main Seal
Transmission Inline Filter
Honda Transmission Fluid

Ok Im going to get some sleep and ill return in the morning.

If all else fails I can take it to a shop to have the transmission installed, by the way honda wanted over 3K for parts and labor. With Honda it would be a new transmission and the labor and transmission I'm sure would come with a better warrantee than my used 6 month warrantee.

I figure this will cost me less than $600 to accomplish so why not try.

Used transmission LKQ 6 month warrantee picked up from warehouse no shipping cost. $371
Rear main seal ?
Inline filter ?
Honda CVT fluid ?

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Sounds like a good plan--a brief view of the parts list indicates that 2011 CVT and the 2015 are the same, although I haven't had to do anything but fluid changes in mine. :|

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Get the factory Service Manual. The Hybrid system on these cars does not translate to anything else you or your friend have worked on in the past unless it was an insight, or a Civic Hybrid. It's available in CD and paper from RockAuto. Note that RA's supplier on this is the Honda-Authorized distributor, so it's not some cheap, inaccurate hanes manual.

I would recommend against attempting the rear main seal, since you'd have to pull the hybrid motor to get to it, and that is a rather dangerous job that requires very special tools. I know it's a standard repair on any engine that you're pulling the trans off for, but the trans mounts to the hybrid motor, not the gas engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,555 Posts
Get the factory Service Manual. The Hybrid system on these cars does not translate to anything else you or your friend have worked on in the past unless it was an insight, or a Civic Hybrid. It's available in CD and paper from RockAuto. Note that RA's supplier on this is the Honda-Authorized distributor, so it's not some cheap, inaccurate hanes manual.

I would recommend against attempting the rear main seal, since you'd have to pull the hybrid motor to get to it, and that is a rather dangerous job that requires very special tools. I know it's a standard repair on any engine that you're pulling the trans off for, but the trans mounts to the hybrid motor, not the gas engine.
Or order the manual from here: Honda CR-Z 2011

This is the official Helm Manuals and you can also order anything that came in the owners folder. I entered the search for 2011 for you.

Unfortunately for 2013( my year) there are no service manuals on paper.:frown2:

I have always ordered all manuals possible from this helm site for every car I bought new and left them in the car when I sold it. I don't know if they were left for the next owner for the car I sold to CarMax but I figured I had no need for them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Will you fully document the transmission replacement? Would be a great read for anyone who may encounter this situation... Or to just read :)
It won't be a full document I will share as much as I can. We are just getting started.

Once you remove the battery you need to go to the back of the car and shut off power on the hybrid battery as well.
The hybrid battery as a cover that you need to remove to access the switch.

@ 96firephoenix. thanks for the heads up on the rear main seal. Its not expensive about $15 so I'm going to buy it and if removing the electric motor to replace the rear main seal is something we don't want to mess with I will return it.

Hybrid Battery Switch

Cost of my 2015 65K mile replacement transmission

Replacement Transmission

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
@ 96firephoenix. thanks for the heads up on the rear main seal. Its not expensive about $15 so I'm going to buy it and if removing the electric motor to replace the rear main seal is something we don't want to mess with I will return it.
Ever heard of Bisimoto? He did a CRZ back in the day, and this was his account of separating and installing the IMA motor, including roughly a $400 special tool set: www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/2502-bisimoto-s-quest-500-hp-eco-friendly-crz.html#post20784

Not sure if the pictures aren't available, or if they just aren't showing up for me..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The friend that is helping me is too fast to document, but so far we have removed the starter, the axles, drained the fluid and we have a lot of metal shavings attached to the magnet on the drain plug and more metal shavings are coming out with the transmission fluid. These are solid metal pieces and a good 4mm, multiple pieces, I'm surprised the car still drives.

Many more metal shavings like this came out with the fluid

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever heard of Bisimoto? He did a CRZ back in the day, and this was his account of separating and installing the IMA motor, including roughly a $400 special tool set: www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/2502-bisimoto-s-quest-500-hp-eco-friendly-crz.html#post20784

Not sure if the pictures aren't available, or if they just aren't showing up for me..
Oh yes I know who he is lol he use to street race in ontario back in the 90s I don't remember his team i think it was HYPERTech

I saw his crz build at SEMA same year my Ducati was also at SEMA.

He is one of the most talented builders of this generation. Awesome fella.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
For what it's worth, and I'm sure you're aware, LKQ have a very strong reputation.

I hope the job goes smoothly. I just hate working on FWD.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Defiant. Yes i have been shopping for various parts at LKQ I'm happy with what I have found at their yards I'm sure this transmission will be fine.
I hope it goes smoothly as well, thank you. As of right now the transmission is out, no cuts no blood yet lol.

We had to remove the subframe to get better clearance, I'm sure we didn't have too but for us it made life a little easier.

The transmission is out and we are swapping sensors. Then we are headed to Honda to get the inline filter and transmission fluid.

Take a lunch break be back in a few hours....

Hi Electric Motor and Yes we are going to skip the rear main seal

Left side 2011 Transmission Right side 2015 Transmission
The back cover are a little different the VIN plates are mounted different and the 2015 has a sensor that my 2011 does not have? I guess i won't be plugging that sensor in because my car doesn't have it.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
We may have to take your CR-Z from you, for abuse.

And yeah, Photophucket have become enemies of the internet.

Otherwise, sounds like it's going pretty well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow now i can't see the photos either ... Photo bucket sucks

Well i am happy to inform you that the transmission replacement was a success, we just finished driving the car for about 30 mins and its all back together.

My CRZ is good to go.

Ill try and fix the photos.

New Inline Transmission Filter Installed

Replacement Transmission Back in the car and all put together

Drives Great
Transmission $371
Inline Filter from honda part number 25430 PLR 003 $29.73
4 CVT Transmission Fluid Honda part number 08200 9006 $8.65 each

Pizza and Beer $30

Total cost $465 and one whole Friday.

We had to remove the driver side motor mount, and we pretty much loosened but did not completely remove the other mounts. We needed to move the engine and transmission to get enough space to clear and drop the tranny. Aligning the transmission to go back onto the car was difficult, takes finesse, patience, and a lot of adjusting to get the angle right.
We also removed the motor mount stud bolts that are attached to the transmission to get more clearance, and of course put them back on when we mounted the tranny back to the motor mount.

So if anyone has their transmission fail and you want to go this route, it can be done in one day for less than $600

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Wow now i can't see the photos either ... Photo bucket sucks

Well i am happy to inform you that the transmission replacement was a success, we just finished driving the car for about 30 mins and its all back together.

My CRZ is good to go.

Drives Great
Transmission $371
Inline Filter from honda part number 25430 PLR 003 $29.73
4 CVT Transmission Fluid Honda part number 08200 9006 $8.65 each

Pizza and Beer $30

Total cost $465 and one whole Friday.

We had to remove the driver side motor mount, and we pretty much loosened but did not completely remove the other mounts. We needed to move the engine and transmission to get enough space to clear and drop the tranny. Aligning the transmission to go back onto the car was difficult, takes finesse, patience, and a lot of adjusting to get the angle right.
We also removed the motor mount stud bolts that are attached to the transmission to get more clearance, and of course put them back on when we mounted the tranny back to the motor mount.

So if anyone has their transmission fail and you want to go this route, it can be done in one day for less than $600
Nice pics, and just (just!) a blown bearing wreaking havoc. You mentioned an extra sensor with the 2015, that the 2011 did not have--I'm glad to hear it work fine without it, but wondering what sensor got added (probably in 2013.) If you know--or have time to check--it would be great to get the part number or pic/reference of where that sensor is so maybe I can find out what it's for on the later models. Hopefully, with the 2015, they made a more robust bearing so you can get back to that more spirited driving technique! :grin2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice pics, and just (just!) a blown bearing wreaking havoc. You mentioned an extra sensor with the 2015, that the 2011 did not have--I'm glad to hear it work fine without it, but wondering what sensor got added (probably in 2013.) If you know--or have time to check--it would be great to get the part number or pic/reference of where that sensor is so maybe I can find out what it's for on the later models. Hopefully, with the 2015, they made a more robust bearing so you can get back to that more spirited driving technique! :grin2:

Hi litz, Notice the transmission on the right, that black cover that I circled in red. Underneath that cover is a sensor which we believe is a pressure sensor. Since the 2011 ECU is not programed to read it I did not need to have it plugged in.

Its most likely just an extra safety measure that was added as you said maybe in the 2013 and higher models.

And yes I am back to driving like a maniac, I want to replace another transmission ... J/K.

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Hi litz, Notice the transmission on the right, that black cover that I circled in red. Underneath that cover is a sensor which we believe is a pressure sensor. Since the 2011 ECU is not programed to read it I did not need to have it plugged in.
Thanks for pointing that out!

Its most likely just an extra safety measure that was added as you said maybe in the 2013 and higher models.

And yes I am back to driving like a maniac, I want to replace another transmission ... J/K.
[EDIT] Yep. Just checked the parts listing--that's an oil pressure sensor switch added to the 2013+ models [END EDIT]
Must have been a "Hey man, I think you're going to bust a bearing" sensor that was missing on the 2011, and yes, you MUST test out the "new" parts--same as the old parts--back to right-foot to the floor, as usual. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts