Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2010 sport 6 manual
289 Posts
If you enter the code, normally found with the paperwork you got when you bought it, it will work and not ask again unless you disconnect the 12v battery again!

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
In the case of my 2013 CR-Z the code was on a card in the owners manual package which was sealed in a small plastic bag.

If it keeps asking for the code and car starts you may want to have the battery load tested. I see you have had the cables and battery replaced have you cleaned the terminals and made sure they are clean and tight? If you have the code and have replaced the cables and they are tight you may need to have a mechanic look at the battery and cables to make sure they were installed properly with all connections needed.

I noticed the posts on mine are very small and I had to re-tighten the clamps after cleaning the corrosion off of them. Paste of baking soda and water works well for this and a Battery terminal brush.

There is supposed to be power provided to the radio when the car is off to keep the memory alive. Check your fuses. The fuse for this function maybe blown but rest of radio is fine or new cables are missing one of the connections.

On most cr-z's you can find the radio code on a sticker on the glove box door. Just enter this code and you should be good to go. It shouldn't keep asking for it though unless you remove the battery.

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Hey so I have a 2011 CRZ. Every time I start the vehicle it is asking for the radio code. Battery is new terminals and cables are new. Any ideas or had this issue would be appreciated.
At first glance, I thought you said you were entering the valid radio code, but after that, it would ask for it again, upon each start-up. Evidently, you need to look it up, since you actually can't find the 5-digit code. Go to this site, and enter your information to retrieve it:
Yes, you'll need your VIN, which can be found on many panels of your car or on your registration papers, buy you may also need the Radio's Serial number.... So, you may have to remove the radio, and it should be stamped on the back of the unit--but visit your local dealership, and they might be able to give you the code with ONLY the VIN and proof of car ownership.

· Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
871 Posts
This is an easy fix. Go here Honda Radio / Navigation Code Retrieval and Reset Instructions

To get your serial number, turn off the radio, hold buttons 1 and 6 and at the same time turn the radio on. The serial will be displayed (the last 8 digits, to be precise. That's all you need)

Enter the device serial and your vin into the web page and you'll get a ton of possible codes. You'll have to try one by one until you get to the one that works

... You may have to remove the radio, and it should be stamped on the back of the unit.
If you use the serial that's printed on the label, only enter the last 8 digits! If you enter the whole thing, the website will tell you that no code could be found. I even called Honda before I realized this and they didn't know this either. But there's no need to remove the radio.

Edit: You do have to remove the radio if it's a navigation unit. You can't retreive the serial number electronically, according to the website.

· Registered
99 Posts
This is an easy fix. Go here Honda Radio / Navigation Code Retrieval and Reset Instructions

To get your serial number, turn off the radio, hold buttons 1 and 6 and at the same time turn the radio on. The serial will be displayed (the last 8 digits, to be precise. That's all you need)

Enter the device serial and your vin into the web page and you'll get a ton of possible codes. You'll have to try one by one until you get to the one that works

If you use the serial that's printed on the label, only enter the last 8 digits! If you enter the whole thing, the website will tell you that no code could be found. I even called Honda before I realized this and they didn't know this either. But there's no need to remove the radio.

Hi

Does this work globally please - I note it's a US website.

Also I have the Nav unit, does this also show the serial number via the same button combo?

Thanks.

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Hi

Also I have the Nav unit, does this also show the serial number via the same button combo?

Thanks.
You might be able to access by pressing these three buttons at the same time:
MAPguide
Info
Cancel

I know that will let you enter a set-up screen, where you can navigate to different menus, but I don't know if it allows access to the menus while it is waiting for a radio code to initialize after a loss of power (I've only accessed that menu after the rest of the system was up and running normally.)

· Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
871 Posts
Hi

Thanks.
I would imagine it does if you have the serial number. If you don't, though, then no, it won't work.

On the Website it says the following:
"There are several places to find your navigation unit's serial number:

The Navigation Anti-Theft Code and the device unit's serial number are listed on the anti-theft ID card that comes with the vehicle. The card is usually placed in the glove box at the time of delivery.

The navigation system serial number label is located on the control unit. This is where the removable DVD is stored. For information on where to locate your navigation system control unit, refer to the Navigation System manual supplied with your vehicle ("Changing the DVD") or consult your dealership. If the label is not viewable once the control unit is located, consult your dealership for assistance.

Note: The serial number cannot be obtained electonically on the navigation screen."

I'm sure the serial is printed on the actual head unit, so you'd have to remove it and look for it. I'm sure that if you can find the serial, then you can get the code you need.

Removing the head unit is super easy, it only takes like 5 minutes. You don't even have to disconnect it, just pull it out and take a pic of the label. Then look for the serial number, usually markes S/N

Remember to only input the last 8 digits of the serial, not the whole thing.

· Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
871 Posts
There's also this website you can try
I tried it and it didn't work, I just get an error, but it's worth a shot, I guess.

· Registered
184 Posts
it's not the same code for every radio. That's the code for your specific radio. Assuming all radios use a 5-digit code, codes range from 11111 to 66666, and my math is right, there are 7776 different codes any radio could have.
That's an interesting printout @Jamesldrury .

I'm trying to make sense of it like what's with the codes for other vehicles?

Is it possible for different models to have radios with an identical serial number. . But then what would be the reason :unsure:

*20 seconds later just realized this is from 2020 😆

· Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
210 Posts
That's an interesting printout @Jamesldrury .

I'm trying to make sense of it like what's with the codes for other vehicles?

Is it possible for different models to have radios with an identical serial number. . But then what would be the reason :unsure:

*20 seconds later just realized this is from 2020 😆
As far as I can tell it's based upon model and year and like last 6 or 7 of the Vin. I'm assuming that I took a pic of the page the dealer printed out when I needed the radio code for the 12 crz ex.

· Registered
564 Posts
If you use the link above be sure to give it a throwaway email- it makes you agree to receive a "blog newsletter" aka spam.
I got codes a while back from a more official site that was spam-free, I don't recall the exact link. I got a page with dozens of possible codes but to date I've never needed to use them, so I have no idea if only one actually works or if multiple ones do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts