Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 honda cr-z hybrid, was just checking around to see if anyone has an average life of the Lithium Ion battery that supports the electric motor inside the engine.

thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2011 has nickel cadmium not LI ION LI ION was introduced in 2013. Others will correct if I am wrong.

There are owners on here with more than 200,000 Miles on original battery packs.

Is their a huge difference between the 2 batteries? why did they change the makeup in 2013?

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Is there a huge difference between the 2 batteries? why did they change the makeup in 2013?
As you cannot convert one to the other it does not matter. But the LI ON batteries are higher capacity and voltage I believe. There is a whole thread on this on here and I am unable to find it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Per Motortrend: 2013 Honda CR-Z Gets More Powerful Battery, More Equipment

"Under the hood, a 144-volt lithium-ion battery replaces a 100.8-volt nickel metal hydride battery, allowing the car’s electric motor to produce 15 kW instead of 10 kW. While there are no changes to the 1.5-liter inline-four gasoline engine, the increased motor output bumps the CR-Z’s total power ratings from 122 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque to 130 hp and 140 lb-ft (models with a continuously variable transmission are limited to 127 lb-ft)."

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Is their a huge difference between the 2 batteries? why did they change the makeup in 2013?
Probably better longevity with the latest technology, but that's just a guess at this point. But to give you an idea about long term life of the system, there are CR-Z's out there with 200,000+ miles on them--all with the original IMA battery. My CR-Z is a 2013, and doesn't have enough mileage on it to judge, but my 2002 Insight's battery was replaced at 180,000 miles a couple of years ago, but I know of many Insights that of that era with over 200,000 miles on them with the original IMA battery too, which can give you something of a "minimum" to expect out of a CR-Z to a certain extent. I say "to a certain extent," because there are some out there that have had to have their Insight's IMA battery replaced while it was still under warranty (less than 100,000 miles,) but I haven't really heard about any CR-Z batteries being replaced early (still under warranty.)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It's battery tech. The stuff is moving ahead at a pretty good rate. The latest and current battery is enough larger to displace having a spare tire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
to change your battery to li-ion , as crz 2013+ , you must change the ipu unit ,the electrical cable , and the electrical motor , cr-z 2011 ,2012 motor just give 10KW of power , the 2013+ give 15KW , so you must check if the 2011,2012 could withstand the 15KW output power !! also 2013+ motor voltage range 108-172 , i think you will pay alot to get some Hp ,, install Supercharged and you will have 198 HP :laugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
install Supercharged and you will have 198 HP
how much is the cost for installing supercharger in jordan ? also do we have any professional dealer whose able to get into this process, advise if you went through it ?

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
how much is the cost for installing supercharged in jordan ? also do we have any professional dealer whose able to get into this process, advise if you went through it ?
If you have a Manual transmission CR-Z the HPD division of Honda offered a supercharger Kit installed by a Honda dealer. I do not know if this was available outside the USA though. Others on this forum have that kit, others have other kits made by aftermarket suppliers and some have installed these themselves.:smile2:

Other more knowledgeable members can help you with information on that modification. :smile2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honda offered a supercharger Kit installed by a Honda dealer
Unfortunately, our Honda(official dealer)in jordan doesn't even do maintenance services for hybrid Hondas, they are not supportive at all (Imagine that)!!! so I think it is an adventure If I went through the installation process with a local mechanic, I will keep the car as is, 122 hp is giving good energy compared to the car's curb weight :D :D

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
how much is the cost for installing supercharger in jordan ? also do we have any professional dealer whose able to get into this process, advise if you went through it ?
Kind of a lot, once you pay our air fare, hotel and incidental legal charges for stuff we're liable to do that aren't allowed there. But you know, it's horsepower, so.....

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I have a 2011 honda cr-z hybrid, was just checking around to see if anyone has an average life of the Lithium Ion battery that supports the electric motor inside the engine.

thanks!
As you cannot convert one to the other it does not matter. But the LI ON batteries are higher capacity and voltage I believe. There is a whole thread on this on here and I am unable to find it.
There's a guy over one insightcentral doing the Lithium battery swap on the first gen Insight, if you're interested in what it may take to upgrade the CR-Z's 2011-2012 IMA battery to the 2013+ lithium...

LTO "Lithium" battery conversion thread - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
:smile2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I sure look forward to this EV stuff getting worked-out. Maybe three or four years, depending on what the politicians do/demand/allow/fixate on demonstrating how clueless they are.

Is the Insight motor like the Z's, or will it run on pure electric?

Is there enough potential in its motor to make battery upgrading worthwhile in the real world?

Electron people fascinate and frighten me. I wish there'd be more flywheel research- pure mechanical and not subject to the hazards and damage susceptibility of a chemical-based system of batteries. And, if that part matters, much more ecological.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
There's a guy over one insightcentral doing the Lithium battery swap on the first gen Insight, if you're interested in what it may take to upgrade the CR-Z's 2011-2012 IMA battery to the 2013+ lithium...

LTO "Lithium" battery conversion thread - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
:smile2:
With enough time, knowledge & money anything is possible. My quoted comment should have been clearer it is not a plug and play swap considering the voltages are different and I presume so is the IMA Motor. The other issue is the car needs a different ECU or a device to "fool" the ECU. It will be interesting to watch the conversion on the insight. My concern would be reliability and drive ability.

Did I read that link right the new battery system is heavier and a lower voltage? I would think you would want lighter and the same voltage but I may have misread it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Per Motortrend: 2013 Honda CR-Z Gets More Powerful Battery, More Equipment

"Under the hood, a 144-volt lithium-ion battery replaces a 100.8-volt nickel metal hydride battery, allowing the car’s electric motor to produce 15 kW instead of 10 kW. While there are no changes to the 1.5-liter inline-four gasoline engine, the increased motor output bumps the CR-Z’s total power ratings from 122 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque to 130 hp and 140 lb-ft (models with a continuously variable transmission are limited to 127 lb-ft)."
Hi Supersmadi, do you know what capacity the 2013, and later, battery is as I have one of the last ones sold in the UK? As I am thinking of getting spare one to use with my solar voltaic installation I am about to buy.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
102 Posts
With enough time, knowledge & money anything is possible. My quoted comment should have been clearer it is not a plug and play swap considering the voltages are different and I presume so is the IMA Motor. The other issue is the car needs a different ECU or a device to "fool" the ECU. It will be interesting to watch the conversion on the insight. My concern would be reliability and drive ability.

Did I read that link right the new battery system is heavier and a lower voltage? I would think you would want lighter and the same voltage but I may have misread it.
I'm trying to research this topic and while everyone is saying that it's not possible, I wonder why really. From what I found, the DC-DC converter is inthegrated in the batterry pack, so that's not a problem, it should charge the 12V batterry correctly. The electric motor is exactly the same in both versions (the same part number), it's just supplied with more volts so it can generate more power. High voltage cables should not be a problem either, if the voltage is higher, they can transfer more power with the same amps and since the amps don't change, the wires should be the same. The only point of concern is the motor controller that sits under the hood, so it might require swap too. Also I'm not sure about the low voltage wiring harness, but if it's different, it should be easy to rewire the plugs.
Overall, I don't see any reason why it should be impossible, most of the electronics is inthegrated inside the batterry pack. Motor controller might be different or might be the same, need to check this one. Also the low voltage harness might or might not require rewiring.

I'm not planning to try this anytime soon, just wondering if it's possible to gain few additional horses this way.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
We are talking 10 year old or 7-5 year old technology. At that point why bother. If my car were to die tomorrow I would not be looking for another CR-Z. I will see what my needs are at the time and my budget and get what suits my needs then. The CR-Z is a great car for my needs when I bought it and now but once you start making changes you are into the realm of backyard engineering and you make something that is unique and hard for anyone to maintain or repair. One of the Hallmarks of Honda cars is their reliability. We have had a lot of postings on here about members wanting to add electric motors to the rear axle or many K-swaps and everyone wants more horse power etc at some point you just have to ask Why? Many on this forum have decried the fact that a CR-Z is not that efficient and there are other cars that get more MPG again time has moved on. For what it is and when it was built it is reasonably efficient when compared to other cars sold at the time for the same budget. All vehicles are compromises and you have to decide which compromises you can live with and which ones you can't. This is yet another academic conversation and it may or may not be do able but it is not something I will be doing. I have kept cars alive much longer than I should have and The Speed Bump when it gets expensive to keep running will be disposed of. My hope is that is not for many years.

Have fun with your research but unless you are intimately knowledgeable about ECUs and the hybrid system we have it will cost you a lot of money and in the end it may be a huge waste of your resources when you could just buy a newer car with newer technology. Doing something just because you can is a fools errand In my opinion. Sometimes you just shouldn't.

I never said it can't be done I said "With enough time, knowledge & money anything is possible."

Sometimes you have the leave the realm of thought experiments and live in the real and practical world.

I'm trying to research this topic and while everyone is saying that it's not possible, I wonder why really. From what I found, the DC-DC converter is inthegrated in the batterry pack, so that's not a problem, it should charge the 12V batterry correctly. The electric motor is exactly the same in both versions (the same part number), it's just supplied with more volts so it can generate more power. High voltage cables should not be a problem either, if the voltage is higher, they can transfer more power with the same amps and since the amps don't change, the wires should be the same. The only point of concern is the motor controller that sits under the hood, so it might require swap too. Also I'm not sure about the low voltage wiring harness, but if it's different, it should be easy to rewire the plugs.
Overall, I don't see any reason why it should be impossible, most of the electronics is inthegrated inside the batterry pack. Motor controller might be different or might be the same, need to check this one. Also the low voltage harness might or might not require rewiring.

I'm not planning to try this anytime soon, just wondering if it's possible to gain few additional horses this way.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
102 Posts
We are talking 10 year old or 7-5 year old technology. At that point why bother. If my car were to die tomorrow I would not be looking for another CR-Z. I will see what my needs are at the time and my budget and get what suits my needs then. The CR-Z is a great car for my needs when I bought it and now but once you start making changes you are into the realm of backyard engineering and you make something that is unique and hard for anyone to maintain or repair. One of the Hallmarks of Honda cars is their reliability. We have had a lot of postings on here about members wanting to add electric motors to the rear axle or many K-swaps and everyone wants more horse power etc at some point you just have to ask Why? Many on this forum have decried the fact that a CR-Z is not that efficient and there are other cars that get more MPG again time has moved on. For what it is and when it was built it is reasonably efficient when compared to other cars sold at the time for the same budget. All vehicles are compromises and you have to decide which compromises you can live with and which ones you can't. This is yet another academic conversation and it may or may not be do able but it is not something I will be doing. I have kept cars alive much longer than I should have and The Speed Bump when it gets expensive to keep running will be disposed of. My hope is that is not for many years.

Have fun with your research but unless you are intimately knowledgeable about ECUs and the hybrid system we have it will cost you a lot of money and in the end it may be a huge waste of your resources when you could just buy a newer car with newer technology. Doing something just because you can is a fools errand In my opinion. Sometimes you just shouldn't.

I never said it can't be done I said "With enough time, knowledge & money anything is possible."

Sometimes you have the leave the realm of thought experiments and live in the real and practical world.
I never said that I want to live in practical world, if I ever wanted, I would have bought Toyota Yaris III for lower price, more economical and more practical. I love the looks of CR-Z, I love how it handles and I want to keep it as long as possible. At some point in the future, the batterry will die, I don't think it's going to be anytime soon, but it will happen. If it does, I want to think about it as an opportunity instead of a failure.
Used parts for the CRZ are really cheap here in Poland, parts like ECU, all the controllers that are in the car etc, so I might as well replace all the neccessarry controllers, and again, I don't want to do it anytime soon. From my research so far, it looks like it should be (mostly) plug and play.

I have just quoted you, because you have been always saying that it's impossible to upgrade batterry (by impossible I mean not plug and play). You are on this forum longer than me, so maybe you know someone who actually tried it (and failed). I couldn't find any reason why it shouldn't be plug and play, from my research it looks like only the motor controller might be different because I couldn't find (I did not try hard enough yet) part numbers of the ZF1 and ZF2 motor controllers, but since the electric motor is the same, wire gauge should also be fine since higher voltage allows pushing more power through the same wires, DC-DC converter is inthegrated inside the batterry pack then I can't find any other reason why it shouldn't be plug and play.

I know what you mean by "With enough time, knowledge & money anything is possible.", that's true, people are doing stuff that even I wouldn't imagine. I don't really want to go that far, in this case I'm trying to focus on "plug and play" aspect and maybe swap 1-2 parts, which are cheap on the used market. And again, I'm not saying that I want to do it now for these few horses. I might want to do it if my batterry dies, hopefully not soon, but it's better to know the possibilities sooner than later.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
As the voltage is different I would presume the Controller is different. Not plug and play and impossible are two different things. I have no interest in any changes. The car is gone if I ever have any issues. As mine is a 2013 with the LI-ION batteries by the time I need a battery there are I presume replacement ones available. As the battery and IMA system are the most expensive things on the car in reality if it has IMA Issues it is gone.

If you ever have issues you could just replace the battery with the same chemistry it was built with and that would be a plug and play replacement.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Other members have replaced the DC to DC converter and they have also replaced the IPU fan. No member here has had to replace the battery yet. One member disposed of their CR-Z when they were quoted over $3k before diagnosis to repair the issues. In that case we have no idea what the issue was. By the time either of us needs a battery or other IMA parts there maybe 3rd party replacements available or by that point I may need something different. There have also been many K-Swaps so those batteries were available used and Redline sells them. Upgrading between technologies seems like a lot of work not impossible but you need a lot of knowledge I don't have to do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts