Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

The auxiliary port in my 2011 unfortunately stopped working a few days ago which is almost borderline reason enough for me to get a new car. I've been doing research on AUX replacements and for most other Honda models it seems like a pretty easy plug-and-play repair, but I haven't been able to find any info/tutorials on how to remove the port in the CR-Z. For most other models, it's as easy as slipping a screwdriver/credit card between the AUX housing and dash to unlatch a clip - I've tried doing this a little bit in my car but it doesn't want to move and I don't want to force it out/cause damage. Has anyone had to replace the AUX port and/or any tips on getting this done? Do any parts of the dash need to be removed, can you pull it out like other models, etc?

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Very few appear to know how to work on these radios but if you remove the radio following directions attached then maybe if you have the skills you can repair yours . It would be faster to order a used radio ( make sure they give you the code) and just swap the radio. Follow the directions here for how to remove the radio. Directions are for XM radio but are the same to remove radio from car. Once you have removed the radio from the car you can then disassemble the radio and access the Aux port in the front and maybe repair it. You will need to disassemble the whole radio front panel.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
I got the radio for my 2014 base model that I don't need, and I have the code. $50 + shipping and it's yours.

Alternatively, you could just replace the whole radio with an aftermarket unit, no need to replace the whole car lol. There's a cheap $20 radio at Walmart that has aux and even Bluetooth. You'd also need a radio dash kit, and I recommend a wiring kit so you don't need to cut up your original wiring.

Removing the radio takes about 10 minutes. It's just held in by 2 easily accessible screws and plastic clips

Very few appear to know how to work on these radios but if you remove the radio following directions attached then maybe if you have the skills you can repair yours
If i had to guess (which I do), I'd say that the 3.5mm jack itself is damaged. Maybe the cable was yanked while connected, maybe it's worn out, maybe it's just bad luck. I'd imagine that it's just a standard commodity item and can be easily replaced if you know how to solder. Just a guess, though, I haven't opened my radio.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Issue with aftermarket radio is you will lose the steering wheel controls(unless you are very good at getting the steering wheel control interface installed) but you are right it is less expensive to do a replacement radio than to get another car.

Once the current radio is removed from the car and you remove the front panel replacing or repairing that jack is a very easy soldering job.

I got the radio for my 2014 base model that I don't need, and I have the code. $50 + shipping and it's yours.

Alternatively, you could just replace the whole radio with an aftermarket unit, no need to replace the whole car lol. There's a cheap $20 radio at Walmart that has aux and even Bluetooth. You'd also need a radio dash kit, and I recommend a wiring kit so you don't need to cut up your original wiring.

Removing the radio takes about 10 minutes. It's just held in by 2 easily accessible screws and plastic clips

If i had to guess (which I do), I'd say that the 3.5mm jack itself is damaged. Maybe the cable was yanked while connected, maybe it's worn out, maybe it's just bad luck. I'd imagine that it's just a standard commodity item and can be easily replaced if you know how to solder. Just a guess, though, I haven't opened my radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BUMP because this post

Very few appear to know how to work on these radios but if you remove the radio following directions attached then maybe if you have the skills you can repair yours . It would be faster to order a used radio ( make sure they give you the code) and just swap the radio. Follow the directions here for how to remove the radio. Directions are for XM radio but are the same to remove radio from car. Once you have removed the radio from the car you can then disassemble the radio and access the Aux port in the front and maybe repair it. You will need to disassemble the whole radio front panel.
...is unaware that the 2011 model CR-Z does not require a complete radio replacement to fix the USB port.
In the 2011 model the USB port is completely separate from the radio head unit in the dash, In fact, the USB port is below the dash behind the cup holders and nick knack space in the center console. I have recently had the USB/AUX port go out in my 2011 and I've had the same thought: that this catastrophe is
reason enough for me to get a new car
Haha, but I think I'll search a little longer for a more practical solution because I like this car otherwise.

Hoping someone has some useful info on this problem,
Nuveau Sapiens

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
the 2011 model CR-Z does not require a complete radio replacement to fix the USB port.
You do realize that the USB port and the AUX port are different things, right? OP said the aux port is what went bad, not the USB port. The aux port is integrated into the front of the radio

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
I never said it required a complete replacement just that it would be easier. The OP talked about the Auxiliary jack which is part of the front of the radio and to repair that jack you need to remove the radio and the front panel of the radio to repair or replace the jack. As for the USB port it too is part of the radio but is routed to the compartment under the radio but is still part of the radio and will still need radio removed from car to repair or replace that jack. True of all Radios in all CR-Zs from 2011 to 2015 if not navigation radio which maybe different. Once you can access the interior of the front panel and inside the radio you can solder a replacement AUX jack or solder a new USB jack into the connector on the radio into the radio. The USB has a connector on the back of the radio you can replace the cable.

It requires skills not many have these days in the throw away society we live in. I have soldered many things into cars in my lifetime and know how to do it. Do you?

Swapping the radio is very practical many members will sell you one for $50 and it will take you an hour at most. Either way you need to remove radio and maybe amplifier and repair the jacks or replace them.

@NUVEAUSAPIENS You are the one who is unaware of where things are or how to fix them.

BUMP because this post

...is unaware that the 2011 model CR-Z does not require a complete radio replacement to fix the USB port.
In the 2011 model the USB port is completely separate from the radio head unit in the dash, In fact, the USB port is below the dash behind the cup holders and nick knack space in the center console. I have recently had the USB/AUX port go out in my 2011 and I've had the same thought: that this catastrophe is

Haha, but I think I'll search a little longer for a more practical solution because I like this car otherwise.

Hoping someone has some useful info on this problem,
Nuveau Sapiens

·
Premium Member
6,149 Posts
You do realize that the USB port and the AUX port are different things, right? OP said the aux port is what went bad, not the USB port. The aux port is integrated into the front of the radio
I have the EX with Navi, and the AUX port is down in the cubby, next to the 12v socket, so I was really confused at what everyone was talking about, lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
@litz the USB as @MrFastFox666 has confirmed is actually connected to the back of the radio then routed into the compartment (Cubby as you stated) below the radio. In your case due to Navigation radio the AUX jack is connected to back of radio and routed to panel next to power jack. There is a connector on the back of the radio for it. So if you have an issue with it you either have to replace the wire (Female USB on one end weird connector on other or make a new wire to connect to that connector and provide a USB port. The AUX jack in the front panel of the radio and is connected inside the radio(Or in your case back of radio and to panel) if it stops working you need to remove radio and the connector on the back panel and either repair or replace the jack or the whole sub harness and jack. In this scenario you maybe able to solder a new jack in to replace current one in that panel.

Everything has to connect to something. Does that clarify it all for you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
@litz the USB as @MrFastFox666 has confirmed is actually connected to the back of the radio then routed into the compartment (Cubby as you stated) below the radio. In your case due to Navigation radio the AUX jack is connected to back of radio and routed to panel next to power jack. There is a connector on the back of the radio for it. So if you have an issue with it you either have to replace the wire (Female USB on one end weird connector on other or make a new wire to connect to that connector and provide a USB port. The AUX jack in in the front panel of the radio and is connected inside the radio(Or in your case back of radio and to panel) if it stops working you need to remove radio and the connector on the back panel and either repair or replace the jack or the whole sub harness and jack. In this scenario you maybe able to solder a new jack in to replace current one in that panel.

Everything has to connect to something. Does that clarify it all for you?
is there a way to get an AUX from the rear of the hadunit? and add an extendor to it + place it nest to the usb?
* do you habe n image to the rear AUX ?

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
@Eran What are you trying to accomplish?

Your other thread talks about a blue tooth audio interface the plugs into the USB port. The above discussion is about a failed Auxiliary port on a standard non Navigation CR-Z radio. The non navigation head unit has no Auxilary jack on the back, the navigation radio does. The non navigation radio has a little rubber cover you open and the Aux jack is right there.

Depends which radio you have. if it has the aux jack on the front then no, if it is a navigation radio then it is already in the cubby as @litz describes above. What is wrong with simply using the jack and gently running a cable to where ever you want it(or the blue tooth to aux device i mentioned in another thread)? I used to do that all the time with my Corporate iPhone and I wanted to listen to a stream. Simple cheap patch cord.

Summay if navigation Radio of the right year then there is a USB and Auxilary jack in the compartment under the radio. If non navigation radio the USB is in that compartment and the Aux connection is on the front of the radio behind the cover and there is no other Auxiliary connection.

is there a way to get an AUX from the rear of the hadunit? and add an extendor to it + place it nest to the usb?
* do you habe n image to the rear AUX ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Eran What are you trying to accomplish?

Your other thread talks about a blue tooth audio interface the plugs into the USB port. The above discussion is about a failed Auxiliary port on a standard non Navigation CR-Z radio. The non navigation head unit has no Auxilary jack on the back, the navigation radio does. The non navigation radio has a little rubber cover you open and the Aux jack is right there.

Depends which radio you have. if it has the aux jack on the front then no, if it is a navigation radio then it is already in the cubby as @litz describes above. What is wrong with simply using the jack and gently running a cable to where ever you want it(or the blue tooth to aux device i mentioned in another thread)? I used to do that all the time with my Corporate iPhone and I wanted to listen to a stream. Simple cheap patch cord.

Summay if navigation Radio of the right year then there is a USB and Auxilary jack in the compartment under the radio. If non navigation radio the USB is in that compartment and the Aux connection is on the front of the radio behind the cover and there is no other Auxiliary connection.
Thanks, I have non navigation radio .. i don't like to see* wires, so i thought that there is a way to connect AUX to the rear of the head unit with a harness, something like that (but for Honda): AUX Harness

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
NO as stated now multiple times that radio has one Aux jack on the front. You wanting it does not make it exist, That harness is for radios that do not have the existing aux jack and have a connector(Navigation radio may have a similar connector and cable to the aux port @litz mentioned). The radio you and I have has no connector for that at all. If you are going to go to the trouble of installing that ( which does not exist) why not just replace the radio? You said the cost for the washer nozzle was expensive but you would if it existed spend $13 to not have a cable or connector in the front of the radio. But even better you could use the hidden USB port with a $3 adapter.

Just buy the Blue tooth device that connects only to the USB and be done with it. I did not know such devices existed but if you want no wires then that is the best and cheapest option. It also will not require you to use tools to remove your radio to access the port that does not exist.

Or as I mentioned you could if you have soldering skills remove the radio and solder a wire to the back of the aux jack and run it out the back of the radio. Before you ask I do not know how to open up the radio.

Or if Bluetooth is that important to you and you have the skills, budget and time replace the radio with something better that will integrate with your phone easier for both streaming and phone use and sound better. Just make sure you get the adapter that allows you to keep the steering wheel controls if that matters to you.

I personally do not understand why a single wire neatly run is such a big deal.

When I streamed I made it simple. I just used a simple cable to connect to the phone. When I was not using it the cable went in my armrest. No relying on a wireless connection. No issues, it just worked and was free as I have a lot of those kinds of cables.

If I wanted to use Bluetooth I would have gone for the $3 device that went in the USB port (now that I know they exist) or the AUX jack. I like simple.

All this discussion and confirmation and you decide to go for something more expensive ,more complicated and that uses the 2 inputs the radio has instead of something simple and cheap. The sound quality will not be any better.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I don't even know why anyone would use the AUX port. What is it for? Why is it there? Why does one prefer analog to digital? Why aren't they using USB?

How about just bringing a phonograph with?

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Before I knew about the USB Blue tooth devices I would have just used the AUX jack as you are talking streaming which is lower quality sound than CD anyway. All you want to do is get sound from your phone through your radio. Either will do what is wanted and a standard patch cable is cheap( or in my case free) and very easy to use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't even know why anyone would use the AUX port. What is it for? Why is it there? Why does one prefer analog to digital? Why aren't they using USB?

How about just bringing a phonograph with?
I am just looking for hear Spotify from my phone with the best quality..

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Discussed to death use a simple patch cable to the AUX port or one of the blue tooth devices ( to USB or AUX) and be done with it.

This thread was originally written by an owner that had a failed Auxiliary port and needed ideas for repairing it. All the rest of this is way off topic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts