Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts

2010 SEMA Preview: Wraptivo Producing Custom Honda CR-Z “Type-F” Concept

This little excerpt should get your little fingers twiddling.

Wraptivo has several upgrades planned for their Type-F CR-Z including a suspension package from Tein, a ECU tune by Hondata, Volk Racing wheels, flat black/carbon fiber vinyl wrap scheme, and HKS Supercharger. Yes, that’s right. Wraptivo, with the help of HKS are supercharging a hybrid. Somewhere a tree-hugger is crying… Scroll down below for the size image and press release!

2010 SEMA Preview: Wraptivo Producing Custom Honda CR-Z “Type-F” Concept | MotorworldHype

Def. something to look forward to. Looks like the cr-z will be a tuners delight all across the board. However, i'm really interested in the ecu tune from hondata. Because honda said the electric motor from factory is only using 50 percent of it's full potential. Interesting indeed.

Enjoy.

**SEMA UPDATE 11/02/2010**
found this on another site... personally i like the concept more...

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
that looks nice...

i'm glad Hondata is getting involved in the tuning process of this car... that makes me extremely happy :woowoo:

normally with their reflashes, the powerband gets smoothed out and overall power goes up... but this of course is at the expense of the MPG... hopefully they found a way to tune ONLY the Sport mode and at the press of a button we get way more power that even Honda has given us... can't wait for more info on that...

·
Registered
50 Posts
that looks nice...

i'm glad Hondata is getting involved in the tuning process of this car... that makes me extremely happy :woowoo:

normally with their reflashes, the powerband gets smoothed out and overall power goes up... but this of course is at the expense of the MPG... hopefully they found a way to tune ONLY the Sport mode and at the press of a button we get way more power that even Honda has given us... can't wait for more info on that...
That's what i'd be looking for too. And could still put in eco to get great mpg. I would love that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crz could turn out to be a major sleeper

imagine a 13-14 second crz while retaining the hybrid logo and still getting 30-40mpg. We could only hope. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
:yeahthat: Oh man, that would be awesome. I can only imagine what new doors this would open for future sports cars!

But, power always comes at the cost of MPG, and you can only add so much with the computer. Assuming Honda even made it hackable.

But, back on topic, that Z looks really nice. The red rims (Not normally a fan of colored wheels) makes it look mean. How much would a wrap like that cost? I mean, thats potential resale value for a car.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
But, power always comes at the cost of MPG, and you can only add so much with the computer. Assuming Honda even made it hackable.
power doesn't ALWAYS come at the expense of MPG... you just have to find a way to efficiently add power... take my Si for example... i added a P2R TB Spacer w/gaskets and it added 4.5hp to the peak of the powerband and it also improved my mpg slightly...

with the CR-Z i think this would be easier to do b/c of the electric motor... if we can boost the power from that or change it to a more powerful motor, then you would have essentially added power and possibly even some mpg's...

with the supercharger kit and other rumors of turbo's, i'm assuming this ECU will get hacked soon by the big companies... hopefully we don't have to wait forever like when the Si came out in order to get the reflashed ECU...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Borcth, an ECU tune is needed to support the supercharger air/fuel requirements. An ECU tune for normally aspirated engines would need to be a different product.

Regarding supercharging, I would hope to see a turbo for efficiency. Superchargers give torque off the line, but we already have the IMA system for that. They also require some engine load to drive them. Use the IMA motor for low revs, turbo for high revs: powerbands would cross in the middle. The instant on electric motor torque would fill in for any delay from turbo lag... seamless and efficient application of power from both electric and kinetic energy.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Regarding supercharging, I would hope to see a turbo for efficiency. Superchargers give torque off the line, but we already have the IMA system for that. They also require some engine load to drive them. Use the IMA motor for low revs, turbo for high revs: powerbands would cross in the middle. The instant on electric motor torque would fill in for any delay from turbo lag... seamless and efficient application of power from both electric and kinetic energy.
we are on exactly the same page of thinking when it comes to adding power to the CR-Z...

·
Registered
239 Posts
They have centrifugal superchargers that work along the same lines as a turbo in the terms of having to generate boost. Roots as you say would give instantaneous power along the entire rev range and would be lackluster with an electric motor. Not trying to step on toes, just trying to inform the public there are different forms of forced induction :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My name is Andy from MotorworldHype.com, the source of the article posted in this thread. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the feedback on the "Type-F" concept.

This site was the first pingback I got from that post. Before then I didn't even realize that there was a CR-Z forum already!

MotorworldHype.com is actually an official media partner for the "Type-F" build by Wraptivo so if you guys have any questions post them here and or in the comments on the Type-F post on my site and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is Type-F?? lol
I knew this question would come up! Well Honda designed the CR-Z to be responsible car (thus making it a hybrid) but still fun to drive (which is why they are the first to make a manual transmission hybrid).

Wraptivo's goal in their concept is to increase the fun factor through the proposed modifications. Thus the "F" in "Type-F" stands for "Fun".

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
power doesn't ALWAYS come at the expense of MPG... you just have to find a way to efficiently add power... take my Si for example... i added a P2R TB Spacer w/gaskets and it added 4.5hp to the peak of the powerband and it also improved my mpg slightly...

with the CR-Z i think this would be easier to do b/c of the electric motor... if we can boost the power from that or change it to a more powerful motor, then you would have essentially added power and possibly even some mpg's...

with the supercharger kit and other rumors of turbo's, i'm assuming this ECU will get hacked soon by the big companies... hopefully we don't have to wait forever like when the Si came out in order to get the reflashed ECU...
I will give you another example- A VTEC Mini, power to wieght of a Dodge Viper with 50 MPG.......:iough::thumbsup::spaz::w00t:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.