Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
CRZ
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nice one Peter thanks for that info.

Drove the car today to my new house, Wasnt smelling too good even whilst making sure the battery wasnt being used to assist much if at all.. It was almost totally dead on start up.. took a couple presses of the button to get it going.

However, I must say.. I was debating on selling this and getting a 1 series auto.. however... Driving it felt pretty nice. Modern enough and comfy. So think, I'll fix it and keep it going as long as i can because I can't deny, I do like it. My mrs said it looks so nice on the road too..

So.. I'll fix it and see how it goes. I also fancy getting that Terra force wing now.. I was planning to make my own but
hmm.. Stick my CST's back on maybe and get it looking good again.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Attachments

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,318 Posts
Very interesting pictures. :(

It looks like it has almost/been on fire (Any scorching under battery cover?)
But it's not 100% conclusive on what actually has gone on yet. :unsure:
We can't see enough of the innards..

Can you disassemble it further please so we can see the switchboard end and inside the battery itself.
Take the pack out of the black plastic case, photograph the damaged end.
Then remove enough bolts to separate the bottom battery parts from the metal top bit.

Wear rubber gloves to protect yourself from shocks and any battery chemicals/electrolyte.

From the damage to the car steel It certainly looks like a release of very hot caustic electrolyte which has then melted the plastic battery box and eaten through the metal.
You really need to neutralise/remove any trace of the Alkali electrolyte on that metal or it will keep eating it away.
That bit further back that has not penetrated yet looks like it will in time.

Please don't give it back to Honda until we have had a look or we will never find out what went wrong.

One last left field thought has the exhaust been blowing right on that point from underneath?
Eaten through the paper thin metal then proceeded to cook the pack? That plastic melting is a bit weird.

·
Registered
CRZ
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Yeah I will try take it apart and get more photos. I sure wont be putting it back to Honda thats for sure.

I'll get more photos though anyway and I have emailed Honda to get my money back. As its principle.

Also we noted there was something leaking from the old battery. Im guessing thats just battery acid. Iv put it on the pallet the new one arrived on to save my floor lol. What the heck can I do with it after I inspect further? Im guessing scap yards won't touch it.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,318 Posts
Strip it right down then when we see what went wrong we can assess how to get rid of it.

I suggest you keep the MCM, DC_DC converter & Inverter etc

The double stick battery pairs although only about 15V can deliver a lot of amps and melt things.
I suggest discharge them with a resistor or 12v bulb then put gaffer tape over the exposed ends.
Your local council tip recycling place should have a bin for batteries.

·
Registered
CRZ
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Ok thanks Peter. I actually forgot about swapping that thing over from the new to the old battery. We just plugged it in and took it for a test drive.

Was interesting to see it learn. Started the car, zero battery. Was charging half on idle. Iv never seen it charge on idle before. As soon as it went to one bar it stopped charging. So went for a drive. We did 3 runs on a small stretch of bypass.
1st run it was charging whilst driving and no assist.
2nd run, Was charging on brake/de accel we had almost full charge and no assist.
3rd run was operating normally with charge and assist.

It was a relief. Iv taken it to work today and all seems normal. Not sure if I should take all my friends and familys advice and to sell it....

·
Registered
CRZ
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Honda are wanting to know if I have the parts still for further inspection and if i have road side cover im guessing to take the car back to them. That won't be happening. I'll be taking it apart and reporting here before anything else.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts