Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there seem to be 2 types of brake pads for my model of car any idea how I can tell which ones i need before taking the brakes apart

my Honda CRZ is a sport 2012 model if that helps (not GT model)

any info would help thanks

image of example parts

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hi there seem to be 2 types of brake pads for my model of car any idea how I can tell which ones i need before taking the brakes apart

my Honda CRZ is a sport 2012 model if that helps (not GT model)

any info would help thanks

image of example parts

View attachment 64962
Does it offer any clarification if you click on the "fitment detail" button?

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
As far as I know all brakes except for 2016 are the same. Just different manufacturers and functionally equivalent. It is a commodity. All will fit and will work the same. Generally you want to replace all the brakes on the same axle.

Here are all the choices for your year and rear from RockAuto (they ship internationally)

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Slope
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys. It seems the ones for the front are AKEBONO so will get the matching ones and return them if they dont fit hopefully they do.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Reality is they do not need to match. As stated all brakes for this car are the same and are interchangeable. Some maybe better or have more capability but all will fit.

When my back brakes were about to fail inspection, I replaced all 4 rotors and pads and I bought:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Main upgrade is rotors are coated to prevent flash rusting.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What you're seeing is the pad shape designation. That is the original creator of said pad specs. On the CR-Z the front pad was originally a Akebono but the rear pad is Nissin and has been around since 1992. They use these specs since that's what aftermarket companies will make the pads from, like a blueprint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Honda brake pads are normally made by Nissin Japan; then packaged as Honda brand.
So, it's better to buy Nissin Japan.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
That is pure opinion nothing else. Better why? As long as they meet or exceed the specifications by the manufacturer they are fine. Specifications matter more than brand or manufacturer.

There are many companies world wide that make quality brake pads. That just happens to be who made them that time. Anything that is private branded can be made by any supplier at any time and can change depending on when the batch was ordered.

Brake pads are a standard wear out item and are a commodity available from many sources at many different price points. The main thing to remember is to replace them and the rotors when worn below specifications as this is a safety item.

What is next we have to buy Honda branded washer fluid? GM used to tell people they had to buy their Optikleen washer fluid.

Specifications matter more than brand. These are standard replacement parts.
If it were not for the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act we would be required to buy all replacement parts from the dealer to keep our warranties valid and we would spend much more money on parts.

Aftermarket or alternative supplier parts are just fine as long as they meet the specifications and are made by known suppliers. Some aftermarket parts exceed the specifications by a lot this is especially true for Brake pads. It is good to have choices, your attitude represented by your post would reduce choices and is based on pure opinion.

Honda brake pads are normally made by Nissin Japan; then packaged as Honda brand.
So, it's better to buy Nissin Japan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts