Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like my paint's sealant has failed. If it was even applied. Washed the car today and noticed small rust flecks in the paint that wont come out. After a little googling it appears that its industrial fallout that is little iron flecks embedded into the paint from shipping.

I had this on my EM2 years back. it wasnt nearly this bad. and the car had over 100k on it.

ive got a PWP crz. Anyone else with white seeing the same issue?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did a little more research into the issue, its something that im just gonna have to live with with a white car. its not a sealant failure like i thought.

the issue is called industrial fallout. Its basically microscopic pieces of metal that are airborn around railways, highways, airports. They are statically charged to your car's paint and begin to rust leaving these rust spots. You can generally see them on silver and white cars the most. (my EM2 was silver, go figure!)

To get rid of it you could clay bar, but it wont take all of the metal out and the rust will re appear.

the proven method seems to be an acid wash with an alkaloid wash to neutralize the acid. This will get rid of all the microscopic metal pieces in your paint!

Im going to honda this aft. they have a body shop there and the guys there are really great.

Im taking this one with stride tho i love my CRZ. Im just taking care of business, theres no negativity towards honda on this one ;)

I hope that this stays out there tho for the other PWP cars out there that will get this. Every white and silver car out there will be vulnerable to this. just make sure that you get your car properly waxed and sealed to prevent these woes and you should be golden! Ive been told that a good annual seal and wax is good for the paint. Im going to make sure that this gets done from now on.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Clay bar and a good coat of wax should take care of it!

It is either from industrial fallout -OR- driving near railroad tracks. If you live near railroad tracks, the dust from their wheels and brakes flies EVERYWHERE!

No worries. It's pretty common, just more noticeable on a white car. :p

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've noticed it too. Also pwp. Little rust spots that seem to damage the clear coat around them. I'd say there are a couple per sq foot of area.. some areas worse than others.
But yah, I think it's unfortunately common.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just noticed this is happening to my car, too, PWP. My last car was silver, and I never noticed anything like this happening to it. Of course, it eventually started actually rusting out, so at some point I stopped really noticing any other rust color!

I'll snag a pic next time it's sunny out.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i had this issue as well. try claying it. the clay bar took it all off of my car and made it like new again.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Clay bar and a good coat of wax should take care of it!

It is either from industrial fallout -OR- driving near railroad tracks. If you live near railroad tracks, the dust from their wheels and brakes flies EVERYWHERE!

No worries. It's pretty common, just more noticeable on a white car. :p
My guess is its rail dust, but either way it is rather common. A lot of new cars are shipped VIA train and this is a common source of particles in the paint of new cars. My brand new 2009 white Fit had little rust specs all over the paint when I brought it home (Chicago, came by rail from the West Coast). I clay bar'd and waxed the car a few days later, clay removed everything stuck in the surface of the paint. Note, you MUST wax the car after clay bar, the surface is naked and exposed to more corrosive particles if you don't wax afterwards.

The CRZ had some as well, mostly on the roof and rear quarter panel, all gone now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We purchased a warrenty to cover this type of thing with out Milano Red EX CVT. There is no deductable and it covers this type of thing for the exterior and interior finishes. Although I dont really want my dealer doing the work unless they let me watch.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I had this problem with the white CRX and at a power plant it is a big problem. Our white service trucks have so much of it on the horizontal surfaces they are almost completely orange because no one takes care of them. When I sold the CRX, clay bar and light polish is all that is needed to get rid of it. Not that hard or big of a deal to get rid of.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.