Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured its time to share my experiences with the community. I bought my crz back in January 2011, There was an availability problem with the 6mt, so I jumped on the CVT, loved it for the first few months, and then one day, the car wouldn't accelerate or engage well, at first the gears seemed to slip, then made a sound, I started my way to the dealer, and had to literally push the car up to the driveway. One week and one 5000$ warrantied tranny later, I was good to go.

Up until last friday, things couldn't be better, my car was fine and fun and I had high hopes in keeping the car for a very long time. In traffic, the car started acting weird, slipping a bit in gears and then accelerating with a delay, I paid no mind, I figured it was one of those typical "unpredictable CVT" things. All up until I went home, parked the car, and then 5 minutes later, left the driveway: reversed, put it in gear, drove 20 feet and then the car started skipping every second foot. I thought I had a flat, and then tried advancing, only to hear a scary grinding sound.

My car got towed in this morning, I'm going to sell it and get a 6mt, this is ridiculous, this transmission is HORRIBLE! I hope it's covered and wanted to share my experience, as well as ask if anyone else has had any trouble with the CVT?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your only the second person that had a failure on here that I recall . I had a conversation with the service manager and tech at my dealership and neither has seen a CVT come back with issues including the Insight . I changed my fluid out at 14k and will continue early changes , bad fluid is a killer especially in a CVT . No proof but possibly running in sport mode constantly like some do may heat the fluid up more causing premature failure .

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am still on my first CVT here. I drive Econ on the streets, Normal on the highways, and Sport every now and then. I've changed CVT fluid and filter (per recommendation from this forum one time, at 23K miles.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Definitely disconcerting to hear.
Did Honda give you any indication as to what exactly failed the first time, or what they suspect caused it? They completely replaced it then, right (not rebuilt)?

I'm not trying to blame you for the failure, but it seems odd that this transmission would fail twice. Unless there is something else wrong with the car, it seems really unusual, when you consider the miles that the rest of us put on the CVT, with only one other car that I can recall having a problem. Could it be driving style? Otherwise, I really think there has to be a root cause besides the design of the tranny. Wheel specs? Front spacers? Some sort of axle problem perhaps?

Reactions: DCsCRZ14

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
I am still on my first CVT here. I drive Econ on the streets, Normal on the highways, and Sport every now and then. I've changed CVT fluid and filter (per recommendation from this forum one time, at 23K miles.
Yea, I just made an appointment with the Stealership's Service department for a CVT Fluid Change at 24k.. Minder still has not gone off. Hate dealing with the service department. Had to spend 20 minutes on the phone explaining I believe there is an external filter and provide them with a part number. Didn't get a good response. Guess I'll bring the part# and a picture of it from another thread on the forum. Maybe I should bring the service manuals also.. LOL..

But with that said, the service manual does not talk about having to change any filters on a CVT fluid change?? Anyone with a "Service" manual see anything different?

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
But with that said, the service manual does not talk about having to change any filters on a CVT fluid change?? Anyone with a "Service" manual see anything different?
Helms manual doesn't seem to suggest that a filter change is required with a CVT fluid change, although it does require a fluid change when you change the filter. Doesn't say when that would be, though. One hint would be the presence of metallic particles on the (magnetic) CVT fluid drain plug.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I got the A123 right now. Local STEALERSHIP said oil and CVT fluid / filter change amongst something else.
1 oil n filter 2 can't remember 3 CVT/Transmission fluid n filter. All for a measly $160.xx :banghead:

sent using telekinesis

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Helms manual doesn't seem to suggest that a filter change is required with a CVT fluid change, although it does require a fluid change when you change the filter. Doesn't say when that would be, though. One hint would be the presence of metallic particles on the (magnetic) CVT fluid drain plug.
Yea, I'm still going through the manual. Not sure what is up with the Filter..

I got the A123 right now. Local STEALERSHIP said oil and CVT fluid / filter change amongst something else.
1 oil n filter 2 can't remember 3 CVT/Transmission fluid n filter. All for a measly $160.xx :banghead:

sent using telekinesis
I'm gonna take a guess that doesn't include a CVT filter.. Looks like the base price on just a CVT fluid change at the Service Department is around 79.00 or so.. Then you pay for all the other supposed - eh - checks along with the oil change = around 160 or so.. But would be interested to know if it does include one..

·
Registered
724 Posts

sent using telekinesis
Yeah, it cost me about $254 to get:
  • Engine oil and filter change
  • CVT fluid and filter change
  • Cabin air filter
  • Standard checks

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck JDM. :( I've always been worried about the CVT because when they go, a new replacement is around $5k and a used is $1-2k (prices for Insight CVTs). Doesn't seem like many people know how to rebuild them either.

Please tell us your driving style, maintenance for the CVT, and mileage of when both failed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, it cost me about $254 to get:
  • Engine oil and filter change
  • CVT fluid and filter change
  • Cabin air filter
  • Standard checks
Haven't had to change my CRZ's cabin air filter(s) yet, but on my Element, I saved $80 by changing them myself. I even buy the filters from the stealership!

Edit: must admit though, changing the Element's hepafilter is one pain in the buttocks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I keep my car mostly in sport mode in town, and eco on the highway, im running low profile tires (215/40 r17) and I drive my car rather well, the occasional heavy foot if the opportunity presents itself, first tranny went at 16k and this one went at 49k kilometres. the car doesnt seem to like traffic, behaving odd and just not feeling comfortable. Might be the cvt fluid who knows. the dealer saw that my tires were bald in front and immediately got hostil toward me ( I bought the tires on the wheels and they were already pretty finished). They ordered the transmission today (coming from japan), lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tranny should be in on monday, I got two continental contisports contacts for the front :). But I dont trust this tranny at all! Just the idea of the cvt is dumb, i dont know why it's mass produced or why anyone would take it over the 6mt unless they had too (I had to wait like 6 months for it and needed a car). If anyone else has had problems, let me know!

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
tranny should be in on monday, I got two continental contisports contacts for the front :). But I dont trust this tranny at all! Just the idea of the cvt is dumb, i dont know why it's mass produced or why anyone would take it over the 6mt unless they had too (I had to wait like 6 months for it and needed a car). If anyone else has had problems, let me know!
Glad you are getting the transmission shortly.
But I don't think I can agree with your assessment of this, or any CVT. it is certainly understandable, given your experiences. But every major manufacturer is using the CVT in at least a portion of their product lines.
List of automobiles with continuously variable transmissions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(And that list is far from complete - I can think of a few others, including the CR-Z).

People will take the CVT over the 6MT for a variety of reasons. They appeal to a different audience. The question might be better asked "who would take a CVT over a regular automatic?". And even then, there are some good reasons - not the least of which is the efficiency implicit in having an infinite number of gears.

Still sorry this happened to you. But I cannot help but think there is another reason. I mean, why twice, with the same car, in 65,000 km (about 40,000 miles). I'm nowhere near that mileage, but others with this transmission are, and there isn't a rash of problems being reported (yet, anyway, and I hope it stays that way).

Good luck with this one (or whatever you do next).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts