Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, upon a ton of research, it seems a 15inch wheel is best in snow for the CR-Z. I’m having some trouble determining the right offset for a 15 on our cars. I’ve never purchased new wheels for any of my cars and want to get it right the first time. As far as winter tires, I need - good all around option. It generally doesn’t snow a ton in NJ so a good dry road tires is equally important as wet and snow/ice traction. Here in New Jersey we get all types of winter weather and poorly plowed roads. I’m a nurse so I’m essential employee and have to be at work regardless of the weather. I also commute on the highway so a quieter tire would be nice. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I’ve been checking out Fitment Industries as they have a wide selection of steel wheels at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
304 Posts
+45 offset, same as stock. Works clear up to 9" wide. 15x6 +45 is probably about ideal for a snow tire.

I am a huge fan of the Blizzak studless snow tires for actual snow and ice driving. However they do wear incredibly fast in dry temperatures above 40F and they are like driving around on big smooshy marshmallows. Very soft sidewalls. I only run them when it is icy or there is snow on the road. They don't spend any time on the car outside of those conditions. Blizzak is an extreme tire for snow conditions and as such sacrifices a lot outside of its designed use case. They are very quiet tires. Same cannot be said for studded tires. That will make you want to stab your eardrums out in about 5 miles.

Probably will want to look into TPMS sensors that can be cloned or programmed to match the sensors in your existing wheels. Eliminates the need to have the car reprogrammed every time you swap wheels and you won't get TPMS errors on the dash.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you can afford them, Hakkapeliittas are about the best you can get. Being more budget conscious I've had good luck with General Arctic Altimax and Michelin X-Ice3. As stated previously, Blizzaks are great but the Silica compound wears away very quickly, then they're not so great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can afford them, Hakkapeliittas are about the best you can get. Being more budget conscious I've had good luck with General Arctic Altimax and Michelin X-Ice3. As stated previously, Blizzaks are great but the Silica compound wears away very quickly, then they're not so great.
Yeah I’ve heard only good things about the Nokians! How are they on dry roads and highway? Do they wear well? I’m willing to spend more to get a good product.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Postings #3, #31 and #32 are most relevant...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your experience with snow tires evaporating in the warmer temperatures is about right for any of the aggressive studless snow tires. They all run a very soft compound of rubber to maximize cold performance. I think almost all of the good studless snow tires have disclaimers about running them in temperatures above 40F.

The harder compound winter tires are mediocre in actual snow and ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts