Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
No offence but I don鈥檛 really get this. For me your car now look more like kids toy
View attachment 63869
I mean with those pictures I can see why馃槀. The rims are supposed to be more for efficiency over looks I'm trying to get the most MPG I can possibly have on that car. Not sure if this will make it better or worse but I also have ordered a sea West spoiler to go with it link below.

Super Moderator
They looked to me like a steel wheel with a full wheel cover. Since alloy and more aero then it makes a bit more sense to me. If I remember correctly the original Insight had wheel well covers like the 60s cars. Wonder if anything like that has been made for the CR-Z? Hatch spoilers except in racing just add weight but I am probably wrong.

Registered
They looked to me like a steel wheel with a full wheel cover. Since alloy and more aero then it makes a bit more sense to me. If I remember correctly the original Insight had wheel well covers like the 60s cars. Wonder if anything like that has been made for the CR-Z? Hatch spoilers except in racing just add weight but I am probably wrong.
And I'm not sure for the wheel covers I've looked for an example of somebody making them but I haven't found any yet. As it goes for the hatch spoiler I spent a good amount of time looking for this one in particular because in theory it should remove the vortex that forms behind the flat side of the back of the vehicle"this causes the back window to get dirty" and increase aerodynamics I hopefully a little more than what the added weight decreases but I'm still waiting for it so I'll find out when I actually get it.

Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
The rims are supposed to be more for efficiency over looks I'm trying to get the most MPG I can possibly have on that car.
In this case I hope it will do the job ;) Please give us an update how much those wheels will increase MPG.

Registered
I've been running 15" wheels off and on since about 2014 (have used 14", 15" and 16" OEM and aftermarket wheels on the CR-Z from 6-7" wide). Way back in 2011ish I even tested some OEM Honda/Acura Integra Type R ('97-'01) wheels over the front brakes. The CR-Z can even fit some 14" diameter wheels for those thinking about offroad/rally. The 14" setup is by far the lightest.

If you use a tire within the recommended overall diameter range there are no issues and it doesn't look wonky at all. Just as there are some who think small diameter wheels look bad there are those who think larger diameter heavy wheels with unnecessarily expensive and easily damaged rubber band tires look tacky, gauche and have a terribly harsh ride quality with increased wear on all suspension components. Plus thieves want them way more than smaller wheels.

Some of the benefits of "minus sizing" (this is changing to a smaller diameter wheel but same/similar overall diameter tire) are lighter wheels, lighter tires, less expensive and better selection of tires, higher tire load limits, less prone to wheel damage, plentiful wheel selection at better price and a more comfortable ride due to larger sidewall.

Road racers, hypermilers, offroad/rally-x have all been minus-sizing for decades.

Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
View attachment 63956 after driving for 2 weeks with 203 miles traveled my fuel economy has increased by 5 miles on average it was originally sitting at 37 before putting on these wheels.
Nice. I imagined you put those on for MPG, because I don't really like them either. To each their own, the important thing is that you like them. I wish my MPG was that good, I get about 33-34 mpg and that's with pretty careful driving. I have 225/45 r17 wheels, though, and they're sport tires, not economy ones so I'm not surprised.

And here's a fun fact some may not know, many hybrid and electric vehicles have allow wheels AND hubcaps (and I mean proper hub caps that cover the whole thing). It's usually a very open alloy with thin spokes, and a big hubcap with very little ventilation, presumably for a wheel that is both lightweight and low drag. The examples that come to mind are the Toyota Prius and Tesla Model 3

21 - 29 of 29 Posts